Let’s talk 4 seater utes

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
Alright gents, I’ve about been talked into (and talked myself into) buying a 4 seater utv for around the property and taking the family rec riding with friends. I’ve looked at them all and narrowed it down to:

Polaris General 1000 XP4 & Can-Am Commander 1000 Max Xt

Reasons being I want a dump bed, period, and still have a dedicated 4 seater. They are very similar with the Polaris being a bit more sporty and the Can-Am being more utilitarian though not by much either way. I know all the specs and differences, so in the end, which would you choose and why? Reliability for those that have had either?

I’m leaning more Can-Am, mainly because of the larger box, passenger space (which comes at the expense of a longer wheelbase), price and fit/finish.

coposrv

Established Member
IMG_3989.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Junior00

Established Member
Premium Member

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
What if I were to tell you I already had one?

I just watched that 3 nights ago...love the way Marisa says “Pos-A-Traction”. Would still pound.

Honestly only watched it once. Which is why it was weird. Third time today in completely different groups of people and situations it was referenced. Once with a video clip in a safety re-up.

About to mold a tinfoil helmet.

Oh and I agree... The Wrestle. Still smoking even having decades on me.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
That Commander looks sweet. How much are you going to use it? How much land do you have? I've been trying to justify buying one of these. But all I have is a 1500' driveway to plow and to take the garbage cans down.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
I don't have a Commander but I love my Can Am Defender HD8, excellent reliability so far. Dump bed is very useful around the property, hell I even use it to move the camper around. The Commanders are even nicer.

Defender.jpg

Junior00

Established Member
Premium Member
That Commander looks sweet. How much are you going to use it? How much land do you have? I've been trying to justify buying one of these. But all I have is a 1500' driveway to plow and to take the garbage cans down.

13 acres currently, 9900 acres of WMA land to bordering our left and we’re trying to buy at least a portion of the 60 acres directly behind. Looking at taking it to a 4700 acre trail facility about 30 minutes away as well.

As for use, trail and family stuff as much as time allows. Around the property all the time, main reason I want the dump bed and having the winch.

We just finished rebuilding the bridge across the creek to the lower 3 acres that borders the WMA land so we can easily hunt and access via atv/Ute. Work let be have the 69 year old galvanized grating and we set it on 2 W14 I-beams. It handled a 11000lb mini ex so I think we’re good now. Here’s a photo after we had just set them in place...roughly 400lbs each.

2A46A754-0EE6-433C-9A0D-078E5C1D3526.jpeg

Tractorman

Greatest dad; Regional Qualifier
Established Member
I'd go with the Can-AM. Yamaha has a new Wolverine 1000 that might be worth a look. I think they're all cool, but damn its a lot of money.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
13 acres currently, 9900 acres of WMA land to bordering our left and we’re trying to buy at least a portion of the 60 acres directly behind. Looking at taking it to a 4700 acre trail facility about 30 minutes away as well.

As for use, trail and family stuff as much as time allows. Around the property all the time, main reason I want the dump bed and having the winch.

We just finished rebuilding the bridge across the creek to the lower 3 acres that borders the WMA land so we can easily hunt and access via atv/Ute. Work let be have the 69 year old galvanized grating and we set it on 2 W14 I-beams. It handled a 11000lb mini ex so I think we’re good now. Here’s a photo after we had just set them in place...roughly 400lbs each.

View attachment 1694514

That's a nice set up you have. You'll definitely get your use out of a SXS. Have you seen the Roxor? Something about it intrigues me. It's little turbo diesel CJ-3. I don't know how it rides or handles trails though.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
I have a 14 Maverick which I think is based on the same chassis as the Commander you're looking at. Owned it since new and has been great. Haven't done anything besides fluid changes.

Not easy on it either. Be prepared to dump a ton of money into after buying it. Doors, roof, windshield, winch, stereo, etc. Adds up real quick.

Stuck in a mudhole. Water was over the headlight before we started to winch out.

SXS Stuck Crop.jpg

sxs new 18.png

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I'd go with the Can-AM. Yamaha has a new Wolverine 1000 that might be worth a look. I think they're all cool, but damn its a lot of money.

The 4 seater RMAX's have been having some transmission issues. A bearing locks up within the first 20-30 miles on a bunch of them and parts are majorly backordered.

Junior00

Established Member
Premium Member
I have a 14 Maverick which I think is based on the same chassis as the Commander you're looking at. Owned it since new and has been great. Haven't done anything besides fluid changes.

Not easy on it either. Be prepared to dump a ton of money into after buying it. Doors, roof, windshield, winch, stereo, etc. Adds up real quick.

Stuck in a mudhole. Water was over the headlight before we started to winch out.

View attachment 1694541

View attachment 1694540

So far, the Commander I’m considering only needs a roof I believe. I’m going to look Saturday at this Max XT and also a General 1000 XP if they have it in stock. I like that they come with the doors, winch, roof(Polaris), etc. The price is what I’m hung up on because I ain’t made of money, but the resale is good and I know I’ll use it so...

54EE7D79-B9F6-472E-8348-D96CA16AF177.png

RX1Cobra

Established Member
So far, the Commander I’m considering only needs a roof I believe. I’m going to look Saturday at this Max XT and also a General 1000 XP if they have it in stock. I like that they come with the doors, winch, roof(Polaris), etc. The price is what I’m hung up on because I ain’t made of money, but the resale is good and I know I’ll use it so...

View attachment 1694542

They're expensive no doubt. Mine was 14K in 14 and some are double that now. But I'll never go back to a normal atv. Short doors with a full windshield and back mesh net has made it perfect for the trails we ride (Norther WI). Hop out in flip flops when you get to the bar. They're a blast.

Or you could go crazy like my buddies dad and have pretty much a car. AC, GPS, ****ing floor mats, full doors, front back windshields, etc.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Not the brand you mentioned, but I love my Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe. It’s a solid machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread