Let us play, "Name that internal failure!"

coleman

Established Member
BEATNGU, the head isn't off yet :( ... that'll happen Monday.
DSF simply pulled the motor & put it on a stand. We only see evidence of some very fine metal in the oil pan but everything else appears to be fine from underneath...

Fastford

Established Member
STEEL RODS DO NOT STRECH!!!! at 7000 rpm.....
But valves will float and bearings will spin.
You people on these boards are amazing with the B.S. you preach ,no body looks at the whole picture about what Colman was doing, Beating his car up on a road course. NOW when he got his tune from whoever, they set it up for the rollers just like everyone does. problem is that he races it in extream conditons with PUMP gas. As that KB get hotter the chances for DETONATION drasticly increase. I am not going to carry on, I have offered to help Coleman and will if he calls.

There are limits that you can achive with pump gas and a blower. dyno is one thing but a road course is another...

Jason

Fastford

Established Member
STEEL RODS DO NOT STRECH!!!! at 7000 rpm.....
But valves will float and bearings will spin.
You people on these boards are amazing with the B.S. you preach ,no body looks at the whole picture about what Colman was doing, Beating his car up on a road course. NOW when he got his tune from whoever, they set it up for the rollers just like everyone does. problem is that he races it in extream conditons with PUMP gas. As that KB get hotter the chances for DETONATION drasticly increase. I am not going to carry on, I have offered to help Coleman and will if he calls.

There are limits that you can achive with pump gas and a blower. dyno is one thing but a road course is another...

Jason

coleman

Established Member
update, #2, #3, & #6 pistons "slapped" the heads.
#6's piston broke up & bent the valves.

so, what caused that? ... if the rods didn't stretch.

also said that top of pistons show evidence of running a little lean... metled was mentioned.
might these heads be re-usable?

i'll post pics as soon as i can.

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
Livernois Motorsports, DSS, Keith Craft, VT or JDM, have one of them rebuild you a stock shortblock with maybe upgraded pistons. You may need new heads too. You already invested in a screw blower (read: massive torque) so you don't need extra cubes. Hopefully you don't need new heads but if you do I hear they are about $700/each. Show pics of the heads, we may be able to tell you if they can be salvaged.

FastFwd

Dave hates me
Established Member
Originally posted by coleman
update, #2, #3, & #6 pistons "slapped" the heads.
#6's piston broke up & bent the valves.

so, what caused that? ... if the rods didn't stretch.

also said that top of pistons show evidence of running a little lean... metled was mentioned.
might these heads be re-usable?

i'll post pics as soon as i can.

If the rod bearings are bad you'll get excessive clearence and if they're bad enough they can hammer the big end of the rod egg shaped and also knock the crank journal undersize enough that it will allow the piston to travel further up the bore and hit the head.

John

Last edited:

DSF

Warranty? Whats that?
Established Member
we shall know more when we get the rods and pistons out of the block, here are some pics for now.

coleman

Established Member
correct me if i'm wrong, but that doesn't look too bad ... :lol1:
but i have no idea what i'm talking about :cryying:

i envisioned something much worse :chicken: ... where did the chicken go? :smmon:

Last edited:

coleman

Established Member
that must be #6 ... where did the chunk go? down to the oil pan? out the exhaust? it couldn't have gone too far with my cats.

coleman

Established Member
Originally posted by racerat
You win Coleman...yours looks much worse than mine. :rockon:
:lol: ... do i get charged by the laugh? ... :lol1:
oh, it hurts...

it [is] cost[ing] me a lot to beat you ... :loser:

DSF

Warranty? Whats that?
Established Member
probably went out in chunks, some of the piston was lodged into the head

i8u

Established Member
Originally posted by coleman
that must be #6 ... where did the chunk go? down to the oil pan? out the exhaust? it couldn't have gone too far with my cats.

most likely banged around the combustion chamber untill it went out the exhaust manifold....

Users who are viewing this thread