Let us play, "Name that internal failure!"

Bingo13

Established Member
DSF,

That one head looks to be a replacement item but why are you thinking he needs to replace the shortblock instead of simply repairing it?

FastFwd

Dave hates me
Established Member
Originally posted by coleman
if it were "bad rod bearings", do you mean factory bad or what?

NO not from the factory. From being oil starved. I'm not sure if these motors have a roblem of having the oil slosh away from the pickup screen when roadracing. Or foriegn material in the oil getting pumped through the motor, like metal particles. You'll know better when yoou get the bottom end torn down.

The heads might not be in that bad of shape. I've seen worse when pieces are broken off and banging around. Find a good machine shop in the area and have them torn down, cleaned and inspected.

The valves bending could crack some of the valve guides if they're cast iron guides and the chunks of piston banging around get caught between the valves and the seats when they open and close so some seat damage may have occured. Like I said a good machine shop should be able to tell you. But just from the pictures the heads don't look too badly beat up. If they're not too badly dinged up you could probably use them again.

If you got metal in the oil the block needs to be stripped and cleaned out same with the heads. Get new lash adjusters as they will get metal particles in the oil inside of them.

John

coleman

Established Member
does it look like only #6 ran lean? ... faulty injector maybe?

what shop should these be sent to, to get them cleanup up properly?
can any machine shop do it correctly? ... i need some advice.

i still want to know WHY it was slapping the head.

i8u

Established Member

i still want to know WHY it was slapping the head.

My guess is that fastford was correct about his guess of your car running lean with the KB at the high boost levels you were running while road racing. Your fuel system could not support it. Your piston got too hot and the result was the damaged piston scoring your cylander walls and piece/pieces of piston that melted off damaged your head/valves/sparkplug before they found they're way to you manifold or imbedding themselfs into your head......

Last edited:

i8u

Established Member
Originally posted by DSF
we shall know more when we get the rods and pistons out of the block, here are some pics for now.

If you look at this pic you can see that other pistons were beginning to become dammaged too.

NightEnforcer

Established Member
From your comments about the plugs and the pictures shown, it appears to be major detonation from low octane fuel, running lean, wrong plug combination or a combination of all of the above. I think you said you heard it pinging earlier in the day.
Those of us running high boosts need a top of the line fuel pressure gauge and a top of the line wide band 02 sensor. In addition we must check the plugs weekly until we are satisfied that we are using the correct plug for our set up.

Last edited:

maoun

Established Member
yes, from what i understand, these engines do have oil pickup issues while road racing...hence the road race oil pans.....that's why i got one :)

coleman

Established Member
well, i'm going to get a race oil pan. but i don't know what will fit with the D&D Motorsport K-member.

as for running lean, i have no idea when that started. but i know that a big boost line popped off during the last open track session cuz i would have noticed it before...

i've already told everyone else with KBs to check/monitor their connections :bash: but it didn't help me :cryying:

question is: can i use these heads with the new shortblock? i'm scared to ask how much new heads & whatever else associated with it might cost $$$

Snake'n Kitty

SVT Guy
Established Member
If 3 pistons actually did "slap the heads", I'd be looking closely at the rod bolts to see if they streched. You might be able to measure the length of the ones off the bad cylinders and compare against ones off the good cylinders. if the bad cylinder rod bolts are longer, you may have found the reason.

My 2 cents, now I'll shut-up...

Bingo13

Established Member
well, i'm going to get a race oil pan. but i don't know what will fit with the D&D Motorsport K-member.

as for running lean, i have no idea when that started. but i know that a big boost line popped off during the last open track session cuz i would have noticed it before...

i've already told everyone else with KBs to check/monitor their connections :bash: but it didn't help me :cryying:

question is: can i use these heads with the new shortblock? i'm scared to ask how much new heads & whatever else associated with it might cost $$$

After looking at the D&D unit on their website I would say no issues with the Canton pan.

The heads are about $700 each and then the rest of the cost would be whatever valvetrain components you need to replace. I heard your engine ticking so the head should be free. ;-)

The bigger question is why they say you need a new shortblock. It should be a matter of replacing parts only based on the pictures.

SC457A

Established Member
hey coleman the piston with a chunk missing looks very similar to mine i told you about, id post a pic if i could figure how to shrink it.. grrr

the little chunks can do some funny things, mine bent 3 valves and they went out the exhuast finally.. and they bounce cyl to cyl also

maoun

Established Member
the canton fits PERFECTLy with my griggs k-member...it's definitely a pre-made fit, as there's no extra fudge room

coleman

Established Member
Originally posted by Bingo13
The heads are about $700 each and then the rest of the cost would be whatever valvetrain components you need to replace. I heard your engine ticking so the head should be free. ;-)
that's right! it's been so long since my car has been running that i almost forgot about my tick... :beeer:

DSF

Warranty? Whats that?
Established Member
Remember the head that got damaged was the driver sider, not passenger side. FYI: tick noise are in left bank cylinder head.

There would be no way to sell Ford that we were replacing that head under warranty due to the tick with the damage done to that head.

Besides, Coleman did not have the "tick"!

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
I thought the bad heads were the driver's side head? :shrug:
Everyone that I know who had the head replacement got the driver's side replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread