Lets talk 96-98 Cobra cams

My96z

Established Member
My engine is coming out for a headgasket replacement. While its out its getting a set of Fel-pro's and some ARP studs.

I figured while its out I would try out a set of 96-98 Cobra cams. I recently bought a set to see what they will do. I figure if I get 15rwhp off of them I will be happy for whats invested.

My car is a 2.6H KB car currently running about 15.5 psi (bad actuator maybe?) off road h-pipe, Magnaflow catback BBK twin 65mm TB and a JLT highboost intake. My car made 607 rwhp on 18* and 621rwhp on 21*.

I have done a bit of searching and there is alot of talk on the 96-98 cams but not a lot of people actually running them. From what I have read as long as everything is degree'd properly I should definatley pick up some power even on degreeing stock cams power is to be had.

When these cams are being degree'd, do I need to buy any adjustable gears? I think I have read that people have been grinding the stock cam gears to get things degree'd.

I would like to hear from people who have ran these cams and what you have to say about them.

Thanks,

Jeff

racebronco2

Established Member
I have the 97 cobra cams degreed at 110 intake and 114 exhaust. My power and tq curves are about 500rpm higher then before. I do not have before and after dyno's numbers. My hp was 541hp with a 2.80 pulley. Compare that to similar cars and they need to have a lower pulley also but my tq drops about 50ft lb from peak tq to peak hp whereas the others with upper and lowers drop close to 100ft lbs. I just filed the cam groove and used shiums to keep it from moving just in casethey loosened up.

GodStang

Established Member
Buy properly degreeing the stock cams people have picked up 15rwhp. With the 96-98 intake cam (exhaust is the same as ours) you may be able to pick up a couple more HP.

My96z

Established Member
Thanks for the feedback guys! Doesnt seem like a whole lot of people are running them. I guess cause its a PITA job and only lucrative if your engine is coming out.

Racebronco, was there any particular reason you degree'd them where you did? Would you degree them any different if you could do it over? Would there be any difference in a twin screw car?

Thanks,

Jeff

My96z

Established Member
Well got my cams. Should be tearing into the car starting tomorrow then hope everything goes well. Anyone else have experience with the 96-98 cams on a Terminator?

46stang

Established Member
I recently put the 98 cobra intake cams in but I haven't dynoed my car yet with them. I just put them in straight up because my valve cover gasket was leaking and I thought that while I had it off I would slip them in. They were cheap so if I only gain 5 rwhp I would be okay with it. It was easy to put in straight up. I also went from a 2lb lower pulley to a 4lb lower pulley with a 2.8 upper. It definititely runs stronger now but I'm not sure how much is the cams and how much is the extra 2 psi from the pulley. I have an appointment next week for a dynotune so I'll be able to see how it does. I have an old stage 2ish steggy port so I'm sure that will hold it back a bit but it is what it is.

My96z

Established Member
Keep us posted man, hope she puts down some good numbers for ya!

Does it run any different power come on or fall off sooner/later?

46stang

Established Member
Hard to say. I had the car basically in storage the last 3 years so after not driving it for 3 years it feels very fast. lol. My sotp meter does say it has more torque and it seems to pull better on the top end. So both. I haven't gotten on it real hard though because I also added dual fpdm's and wiring upgrade to each of the aeromtive pumps I now have. So I know the tune will be off after all the changes. I wanted to put the new JLT high boost CAI on it before I get it tuned next Monday but I guess he's having some minor fitament issues on the whipple cars. urgh.Oh well. I'll post it in here for you, good bad or indifferent.

03venum

Never enough HP
Established Member
I am in the exact same boat as you but I have a Whipple and 19 psi. I got some of these cams cheap a while back and have just been waiting on a good time to put them in since they are just PITA to put in and was waiting for something else I needed to do along with it. Let me know the results as results with the 03-04 cobras with these have been very hard to find. Also are you going to degree them?

46stang

Established Member
I don't plan on degreeing them anytime soon because that is much more work. They are actually easy to put in if you don't degree them. I pulled the valve covers off and loosened the secondary tensioners. Then take off the cam saddles and slip out the intake cams. I marked the secondary chain and gear so when I slipped the 98 intake cams in it was still aligned because it is keyed in the same place. I will tell you that the keyway on the gear needs to be ground down some so the gear can slide all the way onto the 98 cams. The 98 cams were machined a little different because they had keyway dowels that aligned the gear to the cam while the 03 cam gears the keyway is part of the gear. Unless your cams came with the oem 96-98 gears, then it's a straight swap. Also make sure you ue 96-98 cam gear torque specs as the bolt is different size than the 03 cobra's and has a different torque spec than the 03 cobras.
To degree the cams I would need to remove the front timing cover, install the degree wheel and time it. Much more work. I will do that when and if i have to dive into the engine for something else.
I have an old school steggy port so not sure what kind of hp I will be able to accomplish with it but it is what it is and I'll let you know either way.

My96z

Established Member
Thats some good info! My cam bolts just came in at the dealership. I am curious to what your curves look like.

If we degree these cams, do we need adj. cam gears? Or is that only if we want to adv. or retard the cam timing?

Also has anyone have any info on where to best degree these gears? I was thinking of having them close the int. valve at the same time the stock 03-04 cams, this way, the valve would open earlier and could start to fill the cylinder earlier.

46stang

Established Member
Well I dynoed today. It put down 511rwhp and 520rwtq. The two things I changed HP wise is I went from a 2lb lower to a 4lb lower and the 98 intake cams. Old numbers were 501hp and 490tq. So 11 rwhp and 30 rwtq, Not sure how much was the cams and how much is the extra 2lbs of boost. But there it is. I think my old school Steggy port might be holding it back a bit but it is what it is.

2k4Terminator

Established Member
Well I dynoed today. It put down 511rwhp and 520rwtq. The two things I changed HP wise is I went from a 2lb lower to a 4lb lower and the 98 intake cams. Old numbers were 501hp and 490tq. So 11 rwhp and 30 rwtq, Not sure how much was the cams and how much is the extra 2lbs of boost. But there it is. I think my old school Steggy port might be holding it back a bit but it is what it is.

Send your blower to Posi. Are you running 93 pump?

46stang

Established Member
I wish. I live in Socal so the best we have is 91 octane. Unless I buy 100 octane at certain stations and that is running for $8 a gallon. lol.

I may get the posi port eventually but I'm happy with the way it performs at this point in time. On my combo, I'm not sure the cams helped all that much, at least installing them straight up. Degreeing them would likely yield a few more hp but this is true of any cam so?

Users who are viewing this thread