lets talk fuel system, whipple, cams and mods

snakebite2

"o snap"
Established Member
going to be putting on a 2.9 Whipple this winter build and maybe some stage 3 cams im looking in to staying with my 4lb lower or swapping out the ring for a stock size also i run a mgw shifter full maximum motor sports suspension, cooling mods, slp long tubes, xpipe, catback, irs brace but may also swap that for the ford racing irs diff cover. and right now still the stock fuel set up with a sct tune

looking for some input on pulley sizes and fuel systems. where i live in utah we are at 4400 feet with 91 octane please dont drill me on the octane level i know the difference and seems everytime i post i hear about 93 lol

what kind of pulley set ups do you Whipple guys run, fuel systems also

if you are running cams please chime in trying to decide if i want to do them and what exactly im going to do also looking to run 650-800 to give a idea :beer:

Last edited:

testorossa1989

Established Member
You need to do some searching my friend

From the sounds of it you really need to look up 2.9s setups and what other members are doing. That put a side, 2.9 on 91octane to make power is highly doubtful. You need to address fuel aids. Im going about this very kindly.

Put in your position i would strongly consider running either octane booster, or e85. While you can use your stock fuel rails and lines with a 2.9, i wouldnt suggest it since it brings you into that power range where it begins to become a handicap. Basically do it right the first time instead of putting together all this fuel work and having to find out your car is starving on the dyno. The cams will help you but if numbers is what your seeking the fuel is going to be what restricts you in your setup IMO. I wouldnt go higher than 19psi on any pump fuel

Last edited:

snakebite2

"o snap"
Established Member
You need to do some searching my friend

From the sounds of it you really need to look up 2.9s setups and what other members are doing. That put a side, 2.9 on 91octane to make power is highly doubtful. You need to address fuel aids. Im going about this very kindly.

Put in your position i would strongly consider running either octane booster, or e85. While you can use your stock fuel rails and lines with a 2.9, i wouldnt suggest it since it brings you into that power range where it begins to become a handicap. Basically do it right the first time instead of putting together all this fuel work and having to find out your car is starving on the dyno. The cams will help you but if numbers is what your seeking the fuel is going to be what restricts you in your setup IMO. I wouldnt go higher than 19psi on any pump fuel

ive done my searching havent really found the things im looking for. ive been searching thought the post but i dont have all the time in the world to search page after page thats why im asking here in my post what others have done so i can learn things i may not know and be able to find my post easier . as for 91 octane and 4400 feet its no different then say sea level and 93 octane.

snakebite2

"o snap"
Established Member
I edited my comment, as I have ZERO knowledge of higher altitude stuff.

Marc (member on here) use to have a Comp Orange w/ a 2.9 lived in Utah high elevation IIRC.

Found it----> http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/terminator-talk-229/801192-2-9-whipple-more-build.html

im good friends with marc but the text back from him the other day didnt say much other then he had Premier Performance do most the work so he wasnt to sure. i may just have to meet up with him and see what i can get out of him

KilledbyKenne

Established Member
Have you tried asking Premier what they would suggest? The twins are very knowledgeable with modding Mustangs (if you didn't already know), and they will be able to get you what you need at unbeatable prices.

snakebite2

"o snap"
Established Member
ive talked to heath but would like to also see what other have ran in there cars so i can get a better idea of what i would want to run

GTpower01

Established Member
Return Style fuel system:

Behind Bars Racing with upgraded e85 lines, magnafuel 750 pump, 16 gallon tank, id 1000 injectors and fittings... then use fore fuel rails .. there sick

Also you can paint the tank gloss black or gloss silver for an extra 100.00

Behind Bars Racing has been in business for quite awhile and their very knowledgable of thier products and these cars. Very friendly, excellent service, and badass products... Was looking at glenns performance, but really like these setups better, as I heard from many with glenns setups, the car can starves for fuel with a smaller tank towards empty, due to turning and such. Also, Behind bars racing are all tig welded and are made for custom applications. Very nice craftsmanship... Good luck!

Here:

ProTuner Series
Engine Hp: up to 2,000+¹

Once-piece design is more compact and light weight.

* Ideal for street muscle cars
* Quiet operation
* Self priming
* Continuous duty
* No pump shaft seals, no leaks
* Pump body CNC machined aircraft aluminum
* High-torque custom motor with very low current draw. Never requires stepdown
* More efficient than other motors
* Double support bearings
* Rebuild-able to as-new condition
* Compact design fits in smaller spaces
* Smaller than competitive pumps, lower current draw, more powerful
* Hard anodized, long lasting finish
* Mounting bracket included
* Vertical or horizontal mount
* Polymer wear plates for smooth, quiet operation

Fragola premium black nylon race hose
Synthetic core resistant to oil,fuels,coolants,and alcohols.
500 PSI working pressure
Reinforced with A single braid of 302 stainless wire braid
Operating range of -40 F to +300 F
Black Braided Nylon cover makes this lightweight hose both durable and attractive

Fragola series 2000 Pro flow hose ends
Black in color
Feature A single nipple method of hose attachment designed for Black Nylon race hose
With this style of hose end,reusing it is A breeze.

Mustang aluminum tank,Mustang fuel system
Our Price: $2,099.99 Standard Price plus any upgrades such as lines for e85, filter, fittings, or larger pump etc

PLUS... IMO SUMP TANKS WITH ONE BIG PUMP LOOK AMAZING!

good luck bud!

Last edited:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
My 2.9 did not clear the factory fuel rails so you'll need some Fore rails right off the bat. At that point you might as well go return but it's not required. You'll need bigger injectors. ID1000s are top of the line for factory like idle and drivabiltiy characteristics.

I also only have 91 pump gas. This limited how much timing I could put in the car. I was running around 17 degrees and while the car was faster than ported / pulley'd Eatons it didn't feel very fast and kinda laggy on the hit around 3k rpms. It would pull harder as the RPMs increased. So I sprayed water methanol injection and turned up the timing to 24 degrees and wow it really woke the car up big time. I use a J&S Vampire to monitor and prevent knock (detonation). Without the water/meth the timing I'm running would not be possible.

So what I'm getting at is the blower is not that impressive on 91 pump gas because of how little timing you can run. You'll need water/meth or torco or what ever method you find of increasing octane so you can add some timing. Once you do the blower wakes up big time.

JustaGT5408

Established Member
what fuel systems most you guys running

I'm running a 2.9 whipple on mine. Elevation is of course a little different and I am on E85 but here is my setup.

Fuel setup is a Fore/lethal walbro triple pump return fuel system. 3 walbro GSS342 pumps custom wired with monster distribution block, hydraulic fittings on top of the line hose, triple -6 to y block, -10 to fore fuel filter housing, -10 to fore fuel rail, -8 crossover to fore regulator with metco gauge and -8 return line. FRPP 80 lb/hr injectors.

As for the pulley's my car has billetflow pullies, a lethal snub idler, and Reichart tensioner. Running a 3" upper pulley with a metco 2lb lower which puts me right at 22-23psi on E85

Hope this helps :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread