LFP Heat Exchanger and Intercooler Reservoir

OnceBitten

Established Member
I got in on the group purchase for the HE's and also picked up an intercooler reservoir while I was at it. Both seem to be nice pieces and I've just about got the install complete. The only hitch so far seems to be that my hood won't quite shut with the reservoir. I'd searched all the forums, but have had no luck finding anyone else who's had this problem. It looks like the front-left edge is hitting the corner of the clearanced place in the hood and just BARELY interfering with it closing. Has anyone else had this problem???

As far as the HE, that install went MUCH easier than planned. From start to finish it took me a little less than 3 hours (counting painting the brackets and waiting for them to dry). If I'd had another set of hands helping, I could likely have done it in less than 2 hours.

One final note, to all of those who will inevitably speak up here bashing LFP and their products, here's a quick reality check. How many of you are running wheels from AFS, WheelReplicas.com, or another vendor who sells knock-offs of OEM and other wheels at a substantial discount? How many of you are posting your comments using a PC that wasn't sold to you by IBM? It's pretty hypocritical to jump on Mark for making a similar product that undercuts the cost of his competitors. It's called Capitalism people...if you don't like it, I hear airfare to China is getting pretty reasonable these days...

adamb258

Established Member
nice. I am hoping to hop on the GP for the radiator when it comes around. NEED $$$$$$!

OnceBitten

Established Member
Well, I've double checked everything with the new reservoir. All three bolts lined up really nicely going in, the hoses were all within reach...a true 10 minute install. I've even tried removing the blanket to try and buy enough room to close, but no such luck.

It's very strange, aside from being able to hear the corner of the new tank pushing into the material on the hood blanket, there is no other indication that it's actually hitting. It doesn't really sound like it and you can't feel it placing your hand on the opposite side of the hood. But once you get the latch into the semi-locked position, getting it down into the fully-locked position is just not possible.

I guess I'll just have to wait till tomorrow and call Mark up to see what's going on. Maybe it's something weird with my install, or maybe this one ran a little bigger than the rest?

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
When I did the Radiator install I also installed the LFP IC Tank that has the modified bracket to work with the Radiator. On my first attempt I thought I couldn't close the hood with the Hood Blanket installed so I took it off. A couple days later I decided to give it a try one more time, so I re-installed the Hood Blanket and did the normal 1 foot drop to close the hood and it closed just fine on the first try. Now that it's been on for a while I can see where the very corner of the IC Tank is pressing the Hood Blanket all the way up into the corner of the hood, but so far the Hood Blanket is not ripped or damaged in any way, it just has a small impression left in it.

OnceBitten

Established Member
After a quick observation this morning (not at 3AM this time), I noticed that the IC Tank appears to be ****ed about 2-3 degrees counter-clockwise...that is, the front-left corner that I believe is preventing the hood from closing is actually closer to the front of the car than I would have expected. Should I have used some sort of spacer on the lower bolt to bring this around? There weren't any spacers or any other hardware included with the IC Tank, so I assumed it was a direct fit.

I'm about to call Mark and run it by him to see what he thinks about it.

FordFreak

Established Member
OnceBitten said:
After a quick observation this morning (not at 3AM this time), I noticed that the IC Tank appears to be ****ed about 2-3 degrees counter-clockwise...that is, the front-left corner that I believe is preventing the hood from closing is actually closer to the front of the car than I would have expected. Should I have used some sort of spacer on the lower bolt to bring this around? There weren't any spacers or any other hardware included with the IC Tank, so I assumed it was a direct fit.

I'm about to call Mark and run it by him to see what he thinks about it.

Sounds like the outer mounting tab is welded in the wrong location.
:(

DSG2003

Established Member
Nicely said. I bought my rims from a discount dealer and would by a LFP heat exchanger in a heart beat, but I will only buy billetflow pullies.

2rbotech

Established Member
Have you seen any change in the IAT2 Temps? I'm planning on getting one myself. One can't never get cool enough uh? I'm getting the Gords HE w/Fans on wednesday, so this will be a great addition.

OnceBitten

Established Member
After speaking with Mark today, it seems that a plastic 1/4" spacer was missing from my package. This spacer should be mounted with the lower mounting bracket, and when missing accounted for the 2-3 degree shift that I was seeing. Mark offered to overnight me the part at his own expense, but rather than wait, I told him I'd make it work.

I took three washers, epoxied them together and used them as a spacer. This corrected the shift that I'd previously noticed and also enabled my hood to close. If not for this minor setback, I'd have done the entire install in less than 3 hours by myself.

Thanks Mark for and excellent product and your outstanding commitment to make things right on my purchase!!! I'll definitely be calling you when I'm ready to do a radiator.

OnceBitten

Established Member
FordFreak said:
Sounds like the outer mounting tab is welded in the wrong location.
:(

Nope. The product was engineered properly...just a missing spacer to get the alignment correct.

Coincidentally, I hope you don't take my first post as a knock against your product. If money were no object and appearance was a major concern for me, I'd have certainly gone with your IC Tank. The satin finish looks awesome and your welds are most likely the best I've ever seen, but cost and practicality were my selling points. Mark came in a few bucks cheaper without sacrificing functionality so I went with his product.

I hope we can end all this petty bickering. I think it detracts from what SVTPerformance.com has to offer...

OnceBitten

Established Member
2rbotech said:
Have you seen any change in the IAT2 Temps? I'm planning on getting one myself. One can't never get cool enough uh? I'm getting the Gords HE w/Fans on wednesday, so this will be a great addition.

I don't have a way to log IAT2 Temps, but I can guarantee you that I was experiencing MAJOR heat soak prior to the install. I can only update you as to how I perceive the change. I think Bob Cosby may have more concrete evidence if that's what you're looking for...check out his post...

Users who are viewing this thread