LFP is just another copy cat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Cobra-Master said:
And, Dana your input has everything to do with you hating LFP. Anytime anyone posts that they might buy something from LFP, you start IM'ing them and everything hating no LFP.

I don't deny that I don't like LFP and their business practices, but that wasn't the subject of your post or mine, it was about heat conductivity of aluminum vs. plastic. You introduced the topic of my feelings towards LFP, not me. You made mistakes in that post and apparently are making more in this one. Like I said in the earlier post, please check your facts first.

And about communicating with others about my experiences with LFP, I have, when asked, sent messages to members who inquired. And I will continue to do so until the matter is resolved. I feel that no one should be treated as I was by him. I have never told anyone not to purchase anything from LFP, I have only related the incident I experienced with him and let the person make their own decision.

Dana

combatstang

BoOsTaHoLiC
Established Member
Cobra-Master said:
......I still don't see what the big deal is about, this Eric guy gets some competition and all of the sudden he's freaking out. Beat LFP at their own game is all I'm saying... do it right, not on a message board..........
Its not competition that is the problem. It is because LFP is using pfab's box(that he made) to sell their own. They didn't use his idea, they copied his product. He idea is up for grabs. Like others have said, eric didn't invent the concept, he merely applied it to this application and then made it work. LFP bought one of his, took pics of it, slapped the pics on their site, said that they are their own pics, made a story up about 8 months of design going into it and is trying to sell his exact box.

It's one thing if they saw his idea and made something similar.

Last edited:

redstaf426

Established Member
MikeC said:
Whoops, you got that backwards. Aluminum transfers a lot more heat than plastic and your number show it. Aluminum transfers 237 watts/meter * degrees kelvin. Plastic transfers 0.2 watts/meter * degrees kelvin. Using these numbers, aluminum transfers approximately 1000 times more heat (watts) per material thickness (meters) at a given temperature (in kelvin). Thats why the radiator and the heat exchanger are made of aluminum not plastic.

Truthfully,I think a lot of y'all are thinking way too deep here which really gets no where.I do not believe the tank will help what so ever on the street or a road coarse(Sorry,Eric)But I know it ain't going to hurt it,Even lets say the under hood temperature is excessive or what ever,heat rises and will escape through the hood vents( with hood mod) which is right above Eric's Reservoir.
(without hood mod)......Aluminum absorbs and disapates heat better,yes;but disapates with "fluid or air transfer",what happends when your radiator fan goes out??you over heat!!what happends when your thermostate doesn't open up??you over heat!!The intercooler "fluid" temperature will be drasticly lower then the actual under hood temperature(It is not going to be even remotely,nearly as hot as engine/engine coolant temperature),therefore "if" the reservoir is as hot as the engine temperature or close to it,it will cause the fluid to warm up inside it regardless,no doubt,like the Cobra-Master said.Cus the fluid will absorb the heat along with air passing through an aluminum core or tube or box or what ever if the fluid is at a "cooler temperature" then the actual "aluminum parts"This is how coolant absorbs "heat" from our "aluminum" heads :eek: .

The thing about it is,because the hood vent allows the heat to escape right above and around the reservoir,personally,I feel the reservoir heat soaking is not going to be a major issue with a hood mod;but might still occur with long periods of driving(not sure)A ceremic coating,heat sheild or cover might help to prevent engine heat being absorbed.I think the reservoir will be a very valueable tool/part at the drag strip "ONLY" though,with ice in the tank.Before going down the strip after cool down with engine off,turning the Pump on to circulate the ice water in the system,while circulating,keep a themperature probe of some sort at the top of the reservoir to ensure optimal temperature,if it gets warmer while circulating,drain or suck out some warm fluid and add more ice and water until the temperature stablizes while circulating,push the car to the staging lane, give it a few more degrees of timing,add alittle more fuel,and have the ice water and the computer do it's thing.I've seen more then 30-50+ hp gain on a decent liquid to air set up on ice water before when it is done right,and as much as 0.3-0.5+ second difference ETs on a drag strip(this is on a turbo "4" cylinder,guys).Anything else it would have made no difference or drastic effects what so ever.JMO from experiance.The factory liquid to air intercooler is the reason why I bought this car,cus if done right with ice water,an air to air intercooler ain't got nothing on the liquid at a drag strip.A bigger reservoir is exactly what the factory intercooler system lacks,I've been waiting for some one to come out with a much bigger reservoir ever since I bought the car(no bull).first it was Vortech,then some dude(forgot who),and now Eric,so far,Eric's design is by far the easiest and most efficient for installation and function.

Ever saw that TV show "Worst case scenerio"??There was this "Electrical Engineer" that could not fix a flash light :lol1: ,need I say more....J/K. :D

FordFreak

Established Member
combatstang said:
Its not competition that is the problem. It is because LFP is using pfab's box(that he made) to sell their own. They didn't use his idea, they copied his product. He idea is up for grabs. Like others have said, eric didn't invent the concept, he merely applied it to this application and then made it work. LFP bought one of his, took pics of it, slapped the pics on their site, said that they are their own pics, made a story up about 8 months of design going into it and is trying to sell his exact box.

It's one thing if they saw his idea and made something similar.

Exactly.... This is why Im upset. I’m not upset cause of the competition! I'm comfortable with myself and my skills to where competition like this doesn’t bother me.

Cobra-Master

Established Member
combatstang said:
...LFP bought one of his, took pics of it, slapped the pics on their site, said that they are their own pics, made a story up about 8 months of design going into it and is trying to sell his exact box.

If this is true, then I agree that is completely wrong to do.

I'll give Eric the benefit of the doubt then and agree that LFP is pulling some bullshit. Unfortunately, folks will still go for the bargain.

I agree that the 8 month development story on LFP's website is stupid. Anyone could sketch this up and get it fabbed quicker than that.

Eric, good luck with your case... maybe you can cut some costs to head LFP off at the pass.

Last edited:

Cobra-Master

Established Member
Dana said:
I have never told anyone not to purchase anything from LFP, I have only related the incident I experienced with him and let the person make their own decision.

Dana

This is a crock of crap - you talk about needing to check facts... you need to check your PM sent items.

I have a PM from you on modfords.com from way back hinting I shouldn't buy from LFP when I was thinking about buying from LFP because you said LFP ripped you off on a pulley kit.

Last edited:

Cobra-Master

Established Member
FordFreak4.6 said:
:dw:
So if aluminum isnt the best choice, then why are the majority of heatsinks made of aluminum??

Aren't stock SN95 radiators a hybrid made from aluminum and plastic?

Last edited:

FordFreak

Established Member
Cobra-Master said:
Aren't stock SN95 radiators a hybrid made from aluminum and plastic?

Plastic side tanks only. Thats only so the radiator can be dissasembled and rodded out if need be. All you do is bend back the small aluminum tabs and pull the plastic side tanks off. Thats how they are repaired.
Think about processor heat sinks... They are aluminum, cause aluminum is fairly cheap and a better conductor of heat than common plastics.

kilroy