License Renewal

Ibleedblue13

Established Member
What I thought would turn out to be pretty basic has proven more difficult then I imagined so hopefully someone here will know a little more about what I need to do.

Long story short I turned 21 a few days ago, I am liscensed through the state of Massachusetts and when you turn 21 in MA you need to renew your license, picture included. The problem is i'm in south florida for the next three months until I go back up to Boston so as of right now my license is expired. I tried calling the MA RMV but got nowhere with the two employees I spoke to on the phone. If it comes down to it I will fly back up to Boston for a day to get it renewed but I would definitely prefer not to deal with that hassle.

Any info you guys might have is much appreciated :beer:

Ibleedblue13

Established Member
did your license expire on your 21st birthday? if your license isnt expired then you should be fine i think.

All MA licenses expire on your 21st birthday. Online renewal is not accepted because a new picture is required. I'm sure there has to be some way to do it otherwise every out of state college student would be screwed if they weren't home for their bday

Ibleedblue13

Established Member
If I get a Florida license do I have to register my car with FL or can I just get a license? Absolutely no clue how the process works

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
This seems like poor planning
frown.gif

On the governments part, yes.

There's a lot of reasons someone might be out of state beyond their control and to a certain degree, I think there should be some leniency here even if it wasn't a mandated trip.

I mean, what does a person do if a funeral, business trip, school, etc happen to leave you out of state for x amount of time that happens to include a 21st birthday.

I would say leave the car registered in MA and get a new FL license if its going to be a big deal. I don't think any officer, assuming you get pulled over at all, is going to think oddly of it especially if you explain.

It'd be a huge pain to get tags and return plates for refund just to register a car in another state for a very small time period.

Posted via Topify on Android

Last edited:

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
All MA licenses expire on your 21st birthday. Online renewal is not accepted because a new picture is required. I'm sure there has to be some way to do it otherwise every out of state college student would be screwed if they weren't home for their bday

if thats the case then just renew it online before your 21st birthday, you wont need a new picture as long as its before your 21st bday.

*edit, just realized you said you turned 21 a few days ago. yup you're screwed lol.

Last edited:

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
you might claim you lost it, many states allow you to get a '90 day' temporary permit if you are out-of-state until you are back in state to get your permanent license.

Users who are viewing this thread