Lifting a GT500 with a floor jack.

Yellow Horse

Established Member
I swapped out my o/r x-pipe a few days ago so I can get my car inspected. As soon as I get it inspected I am going to swap them out again. I have a small bottle jack and a small cheap-ass floor jack. It's a job getting the car high enough using them.

I'm thinking about buying a big floor jack. While I was under swapping out the pipes I noticed a nice place to use a board in the middle of the k-member.

Would I be OK to lift the front of the car from this point?

On the rear, can it be lifted putting a floor jack under the pumkin?

Thanks for any input.

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Your going to get a mix of yes and no. I do it, and it works fine. Always use jackstands too.

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
Yea, what he said. I've lifted from the pumkin on past stangs. But do use stands, please.

I was under my 03 Termy several years ago, did a quick jack up for a 5 min job, and got on the ground & for some reason had the smart thought to hop up & grab the stand, just placed it under as a backup. Working with my head dead center of the engine, and my car was slammed with a complete suspension, the jack gave out like it wasn't there, car thudded down onto the stand. Could've killed me. Had an angle on my shoulder that day. Sorry, not preaching or anything, I just tell this story all the time, figure you never know, might save someone someday.

ShakeNBake

Established Member
Yea, what he said. I've lifted from the pumkin on past stangs. But do use stands, please.

I was under my 03 Termy several years ago, did a quick jack up for a 5 min job, and got on the ground & for some reason had the smart thought to hop up & grab the stand, just placed it under as a backup. Working with my head dead center of the engine, and my car was slammed with a complete suspension, the jack gave out like it wasn't there, car thudded down onto the stand. Could've killed me. Had an angle on my shoulder that day. Sorry, not preaching or anything, I just tell this story all the time, figure you never know, might save someone someday.

thank god you are ok. :dancenana:

cobrav8281

Rippin' Gears Out
Established Member
Hey Daffy, thanks for posting that man. Never stop telling that story. It helps EVERYONE. It reminds those of us that do things safe to not slip up and it lets the ones that don't, know what can happen. I, too, am glad you didn't get hurt.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Just make sure when jacking from the front on the k-member not to jack on the steering rack and make sure to watch the jack and make sure it doesn't slip off and hit the steering rack. That would be a really bad day.

I was helping change an engine in a Mustang Challenge car at Miami Homestead speedway a couple years ago. The car was on jack stands and as we were finishing up I was laying under the car bolting the power steering pump back on when the jack stand on that front driverside corner decided to slip a notch or two down, apparently the block wasn't all the way in the teeth. Luckily the jack stands were tall enough that the car was held just barely touching me. Several people freaked out thinking it fell on me but I finished up putting the pump and on squirmed out before they tried to jack it back up and reset the stand. It was a little scary for that half a second the car was moving down!

Pure_Evil_GT500

LS7 BUD
Established Member
I just had a buddy get crushed and passed away 2 weeks ago using 4x4 pieces of wood instead of using stands... Went to break lose a bolt and shifted the car and it fell off the wood right on to him... So don't f*ck around do it safe please.. R.I.P. Nick M...

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
Yeah, I know they say not to but I lift the rear of my car from the pumpkin all of the time.

Yellow Horse

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. I've been under Stangs a long time. I've done several header swaps on 99 up Cobras. I do not have any close calls but sliding up under a 4 valve engine suspended from the rafters in a barn with the k-member removed is not the most relaxing position laying on your back.

Users who are viewing this thread