-Light Weight Battery or Battery Relocation Kit ?-

Light Weight Battery or Battery Relocation ?

• Light weight Battery- Simple to do and only weighs 15lbs

Votes: 18 40.0%
  • Battery Relocation- Transfer that weight to the rear

Votes: 27 60.0%

• Total voters

Tremor

NO MERCY
Sup Guys

Wanted to ask what I should do next.

A = 15lb Light Weight Battery <--Simple to do

B = Battery Relocation <--Not as simple but weight transfer

I plan to use my Cobra on weekends and to hit the track.

I still have my stock stereo system, so this will not drain a light weight battery as much.

I appreciate any advice :beer:

Thanks

-Jose

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
How about both???

Realistically I would go with the lightweight battery, what brand are you thinking?

omj

Established Member
Check out Mechman.com
I got mine (D925 and bracket) from Matt and I love it.
Tell him oldmustangjunkie sent you.

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
From what I've seen, light weight batteries tend to be too needy with servicing and they're expensive as well.

I'm going with a battery relocation kit and buying a yellow top battery on top of that for the added weight over the rear axle. It makes all he difference in weight transfer and will help you way more than just pulling 30lbs. out of the car at the drag strip. ;-)

Tremor

NO MERCY
From what I've seen, light weight batteries tend to be too needy with servicing and they're expensive as well.

I'm going with a battery relocation kit and buying a yellow top battery on top of that for the added weight over the rear axle. It makes all he difference in weight transfer and will help you way more than just pulling 30lbs. out of the car at the drag strip. ;-)

Ricky

Your going twin turbo with an auto, you need that weight transfer :lol1:

Also will get together this week, regarding those parts :coolman:

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
Ricky

Your going twin turbo with an auto, you need that weight transfer :lol1:

Also will get together this week, regarding those parts :coolman:

Sounds good. If I end up getting that long block before than, we'll be great. I'm kind of hoping that it comes through so I can actually pull all of the little pieces (hardware, clips, etc...) without ordering them through Ford.

SVT GT

Established Member
I have been tossing around the same idea for about a month now. I'm glad to see you made a thread about it, thanks

Tremor

NO MERCY
Sounds good. If I end up getting that long block before than, we'll be great. I'm kind of hoping that it comes through so I can actually pull all of the little pieces (hardware, clips, etc...) without ordering them through Ford.

For sure Ricky, just looking out for you.

I have been tossing around the same idea for about a month now. I'm glad to see you made a thread about it, thanks

Im starting to lean toward going with a light weight battery.

And later down the road add an ice box in the trunk for weight transfer :burnout:

BlckBullitt01

Established Member
Dyna-batt here, running strong with no problems, although my car is garaged and stays on a battery tender.

The tender will prob. make a big difference in the life of these batteries, so I can't comment on how it will work if you are planning on letting it just sit, although I was reassured it will hold a charge fine for at least 1 wk, all the way up to a month w/ no tender.

Also, I think that article you posted mentions it, but the 3 main SLA batteries out for our cars are essentially the exact same battery internally w/ different exterior packaging (rebranded), so I'd go with wherever you can get the best deal.

Tremor

NO MERCY
And that's why you're the man!

Thanks again, brotha. :beer:

Your Welcome :burnout:

Dyna-batt here, running strong with no problems, although my car is garaged and stays on a battery tender.

The tender will prob. make a big difference in the life of these batteries, so I can't comment on how it will work if you are planning on letting it just sit, although I was reassured it will hold a charge fine for at least 1 wk, all the way up to a month w/ no tender.

Also, I think that article you posted mentions it, but the 3 main SLA batteries out for our cars are essentially the exact same battery internally w/ different exterior packaging (rebranded), so I'd go with wherever you can get the best deal.

The article has some good info, and with the smaller name brands.

The price on some of these batteries are really good :rolling:

Also please post some pics of your TT Setup :rockon:

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Relocate it...sure it's a PITA but it puts the weight over the rear tires for better traction/weight distribution. I've been trying to find some time to do this to my current Cobra. Not hard...just a little time consuming and what not...since you are routing cables and wires from one end to the other.

Just make sure the wires are well secured away from exhaust and jacking points etc. I covered mine with additional wire loom and secured it with a crap load of cable ties. On my last rear mount set up...I used huge battery cables...the same size used in school buses. No problems starting with those suckers...

:beer:

Later...Dave

Tremor

NO MERCY
Relocate it...sure it's a PITA but it puts the weight over the rear tires for better traction/weight distribution. I've been trying to find some time to do this to my current Cobra. Not hard...just a little time consuming and what not...since you are routing cables and wires from one end to the other.

Just make sure the wires are well secured away from exhaust and jacking points etc. I covered mine with additional wire loom and secured it with a crap load of cable ties. On my last rear mount set up...I used huge battery cables...the same size used in school buses. No problems starting with those suckers...

:beer:

Later...Dave

Thanks Dave

And Thanks for the List of "free" and "cheap" 03-04 Cobra mods in your sig. :beer:

01bluesnake

Established Member
im going to go with relocate, i daily drive my car and it's gets cold here. i dont think the small battery would last me long, and plus i prefer weight transfer. so everyone who relocated their battery what kit did you go with or did you piece one together?

Last edited:

SnkBtn99

Speeding bullet!!
Established Member
I went with the light weight battery option. Less expensive with nearly same results.

I wasn't willing to spend all the $$ on the length of cables needed or the box to contain the battery.

Biggest decision for me was that I did not want the battery in the cabin of the car with me on road course. Box or no box.

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
I went with the light weight battery option. Less expensive with nearly same results.

I wasn't willing to spend all the $$ on the length of cables needed or the box to contain the battery.

Biggest decision for me was that I did not want the battery in the cabin of the car with me on road course. Box or no box.

1. The results are nowhere near the same. One puts the entire weight of the battery over the right side of the rear end for an excellent increase in weight transfer and traction (pulling the weight off of the front at the same time as well). The other just removes 15lbs. from the front end of the car.

2. The Taylor Battery Relocation Kit costs $160.00 and that's high end. I know that the light weight batteries can easily be that much as well.

3. I don't know about you, but I don't consider the trunk the cabin of the car because if for some reason it were to become lose and start bouncing around (which is what I'm to understand is your concern), it still wouldn't hit you being as how you have rear seats (or a rear seat delete) separating the trunk from the cabin.

Just thought I'd clear that up. :beer:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread