Light Weight Option Package

crazyhorse06

Established Member
03SoCalCobra said:
I see a big opportunity for aftermarket light-weight replacement parts and packages :)
After the basic intake/exhaust/chip/pulley, that is where I will go next.

TRXboy

Established Member
I asked this question once and never got an answer, but maybe, now that we are on the topic.

With an 03/04 cobra, how much weight savings can come about from a Solid Axle swap, Rear Seat Delet, Tubular K member and Suspension arms. and all the basic stuff.

hawkster

Established Member
Well I have a few good ideas to start with losing some weight. How about a Dyna-Battery and remove the spare tire and jack. Save about 65lbs.

Evil_Merlin

Got VTEC?
Established Member
mrGT said:
03Terminator,

As far as the Shakers.....the 1000 has an amplifier and woofers mounted in the right side of the trunk.....and adds the 75lbs. The 500, which is standard with the Shelby, doesn't have an external amp, so I doubt it adds that much weight to the car.

The 500 does have an external amp. Two of them actually, just like the Mach460's. The Shaker 1000's are larger and heavier amps

Evil_Merlin

Got VTEC?
Established Member
hawkster said:
Well I have a few good ideas to start with losing some weight. How about a Dyna-Battery and remove the spare tire and jack. Save about 65lbs.

No spare tire and jack with the GT500, it's a can of fix-a-flat, just like the vettes.

mrGT

Established Member
Posted by Evil_Merlin
The 500 does have an external amp. Two of them actually, just like the Mach460's. The Shaker 1000's are larger and heavier amps
THANKS for that info.....I guess I misunderstood the salesman. Where are the two smaller amps located?

TacticalKaos

Established Member
The weight is the reason I'd never even consider it today. Face it, today HP limitiations are almost unlimited. Throw some boost and high octane fuel with a proper tune on something and you're looking in excess of 500 whp in many cases (Cobras for sure, EVOs, STis, etc...) Speed is essentially determined by a power to weight (with a few other less concerning variables). Come on motor companies, make us something feather light with good potential engine.

earl lee

Established Member
TacticalKaos said:
The weight is the reason I'd never even consider it today. Face it, today HP limitiations are almost unlimited. Throw some boost and high octane fuel with a proper tune on something and you're looking in excess of 500 whp in many cases (Cobras for sure, EVOs, STis, etc...) Speed is essentially determined by a power to weight (with a few other less concerning variables). Come on motor companies, make us something feather light with good potential engine.

Somebody already did, its called a 06 z06 vette.

Milstang

Established Member
Evil_Merlin said:
No spare tire and jack with the GT500, it's a can of fix-a-flat, just like the vettes.

Where did you hear that? I just don't see that happening as the trunk already has the space built for the spare, just like the V6 and V8.

:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread