Light Weight Option Package

03Terminator

03 Red Fire Cobra
Established Member
Ford needs to offer a light weight option package for this car for those of us who want a serious racer and not a cruiser. It would go some thing like this:

1. Rear Seat Delete - 40 lbs
2. Radio Delete - 75 lbs for Shaker 500
3. Light Weight Alum Hood like the show car - 100 lbs
4. Reduced sound deadening - 40 lbs
5. Light weight wheels - 45 lbs

Total weight reduction - 300 lbs

Of course the amounts are all estimates, but the car would end up being around 3600 lbs instead of 3900 lbs.

Ford will never do it, but I bet a lot of people would get it if they did.

crazyhorse06

Established Member
03Terminator said:
Ford needs to offer a light weight option package for this car for those of us who want a serious racer and not a cruiser. It would go some thing like this:

1. Rear Seat Delete - 40 lbs
2. Radio Delete - 75 lbs for Shaker 500
3. Light Weight Alum Hood like the show car - 100 lbs
4. Reduced sound deadening - 40 lbs
5. Light weight wheels - 45 lbs

Total weight reduction - 300 lbs

Of course the amounts are all estimates, but the car would end up being around 3600 lbs instead of 3900 lbs.

Ford will never do it, but I bet a lot of people would get it if they did.

Why not just buy one and take all that out yourself. Ford doesn't need to offer that. It is already there. you just need to do the work. I would imagine that hood is aluminum. The ones on the regular mustangs are.

03Terminator

03 Red Fire Cobra
Established Member
You could do all the things I mentioned yourself but then it may cost you more money than if Ford was to offer it as a package. About the hood, I wasn't aware that it was already made of a light weight material. If that's the case then the reduction in weight you would get from all of this would only be around 200 lbs. Either way this was just a "it would be nice to have" dream.

Last edited:

SVT4ME

Established Member
Wow that thing is a real pig at 3900 pounds, it does need a diet but it you'd get better bang for the buck doing yourself alright

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
I agree with doing it all yourself... and ya forgot Race Seats too... Driver/Passenger... would easily save another 75-100lbs... ;)

Mr.T

Established Member
The Shelby hood is aluminum. The SN95 Mustangs used the composite SMC (Sheet Molded Compound) hood.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
Most Mustang owners never leave their suspensions alone, so why not lighten it with aluminum control arms in the rear, an aluminum panhard bar, tubular front k-member (are those out yet?), tubular front control arms, coil-overs, etc. Then remove that heavy ass stereo (Who needs it after an exhaust install anyway? You can't hear it.). Lighter wheels maybe. Make a rear seat delete like the old Shelby GT 350s, etc. etc.

Jpjr

Established Member
100lbs savings for the hood???

75lb savings for the stereo???

where are you getting these numbers?

Evil_Merlin

Got VTEC?
Established Member
The hood of the 2005+ Mustangs weigh 26 lbs.

Where the **** is 100lbs coming from?

The Shaker 1000 system weighs 75lbs in total (all speakers, subwoofers, amps and head unit).

Evil_Merlin

Got VTEC?
Established Member
Dave Schotz said:
I agree with doing it all yourself... and ya forgot Race Seats too... Driver/Passenger... would easily save another 75-100lbs... ;)

When I swapped out my 2004 driver and passenger seats for Cobra LTD. racing seats I only saved around 50lbs total. The seats are not as heavy as people seem to think they are.

Jpjr

Established Member
yes, none of the things mentioned in this thread are accurate or practical. the way they would have saved weight would have been to use an aluminum block, tubular k-member, and shrink the car/use more aluminum panels.

unfortunately the vert is a boat and there is just not that much you can do to get that sucker well below two tons.

skinsand

Established Member
While some of those numbers are um, optimistic It makes you wonder what will be possible with the production coupe concerning weight reduction...

if you could shave off some excess fat...who knows?

Take off 150 pounds, add bolt-ons... :beer:

Guess we will know all the "What if's" everyone has been going over for the better part of a year soon enough.

03Terminator

03 Red Fire Cobra
Established Member
Jpjr said:
100lbs savings for the hood???

75lb savings for the stereo???

where are you getting these numbers?

Numbers were estimates. What this thread shows is that there is a way to cut weight off of this car. Hell just by ditching the Shaker 1000 radio saves you 75 lbs. Add a set of light weight wheels for around another 30 lbs and remove the rear seat for another 40 lbs (average advertised weight reduction for a rear seat delete kit). That's around a 145 lbs drop in weight.

mrGT

Established Member
03Terminator,

As far as the Shakers.....the 1000 has an amplifier and woofers mounted in the right side of the trunk.....and adds the 75lbs. The 500, which is standard with the Shelby, doesn't have an external amp, so I doubt it adds that much weight to the car.

Users who are viewing this thread