Lightning buyer

Waborita92

jus give'r
Established Member
Hey guys I'm lookin for a lightning in the next couple months and i was just wondering if there was anything better about a certain year? if i could get some advice and some direction towards what year would be best that would really be great thanks in advanced!

504lightning

Stangher
Established Member
i dont think it really matters aslong as its in good shape for a good price cause u can always mod and do whatever u want later on.

zee800

Established Member
stock for stock 01+ is better to go with IMO.

4) What is the difference between 99-00 and 01-up L's?
99-00:
They came with a smaller intercooler than the 01+ which was prone to leak, if the owner took advantage of it they were replaced with newer 01+ intercoolers under factory recall warranty so check into yours if unsure.
They had an 80mm Mass Air Flow Meter or MAF.
5x135mm wheel bolt pattern and 12mm studs up till 11/99.
Rated at 360 hp and 440 ft.lbs.trq. from the factory-engine not at the rear wheels. There are some other cosmetic differences also but that can be found later.

99 to late 02 have 3-4 threads in the cylinder heads for the spark plugs, 02+ have 8-9 threads and are less prone to spark plug blow out.

Rear gear ratio 99-00=3.55
Rear gear ratio 01-04=3.73

The driveshaft difference. 99-00 3" steel. 01-up 5" aluminum.

01+:
Bigger/upgraded intercooler.
90mm MAF
5x135 wheel bolt pattern with 14mm wheel studs.
Rated at 380 hp and 450 ft.lbs.trq from the factory-engine not at the rear wheels.

03-04 have the updated impeller on the water pumps and are more efficient than 99-02.

03-04:
The only real difference was they come with heavier rated rear leaf springs in the back and thus have about 1" additional ride height from previous years, this was done only to increase the payload. Again some cosmetic differences are present but will be found later.

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
99-00 made 360 BHP/440 BTQ whereas the 01-04s made 380 BHP/450 BTQ.

The 99-02 (and some early 2003) Lightnings came with four thread heads, meaning that four threads held the spark plugs in place. These years were prone to "launching" plugs but this can be avoided by torquing the plugs to 14 lb./ft. and by checking them periodically to ensure they are not loose. In 2003 and 2004 the heads switched to eight threads.

Also, the 99-00s had issues with the intercooler core leaking. At one time Ford fixed them at no cost but it was not a recall and they no longer do it free of cost. If you look into buying a 99-00 be sure to verify whether or not this has been corrected.

All years fall under a cruise control recall that Ford corrects free of charge.

I just noticed zeedee mentioned the other notable differences.

Last edited:

SVTman75

My wallet hates me!
Established Member
Auto only... 4sp...

My drive shaft is steel and it's definately bigger than 3inches.... All of them came with 5in drive shafts... 01-04's have aluminum tho.

mcarbine

2003 L #2504
Established Member
Muscle mustang and fast Fords magazine last month or so ago had an article about a guy that did a 6 speed conversion and it sounded like a lot of work and tuning. What are you looking to do with said Lightning? If your planning on drag racing an auto would be more to your advantage. Now maybe if you were going to autocross then I could see wanting a manual. Oh and welcome to the site. Matt

Waborita92

jus give'r
Established Member
thanks for the welcome and no it's just gonna be my summer dd probably throw a bigger supercharger and stuff like that on it, I really don't care if it's auto or manual cause it's a truck if it was a stang i would want it to be a manual

Users who are viewing this thread