Lightning Fail

DiB14-SAFD

Established Member

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Dumbass did zero homework on that one
Beat me to it. Bad thing is that the govt and manufacturers are touting it as a simple replacement. All good and well for short drives and city living.

Come to my rural area where there are maybe three chargers in a 25 mile radius. And I would go insane to stop and charge every 200-300 miles for an hour going on vacation.

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

Established Member
Beat me to it. Bad thing is that the govt and manufacturers are touting it as a simple replacement. All good and well for short drives and city living.

Come to my rural area where there are maybe three chargers in a 25 mile radius. And I would go insane to stop and charge every 200-300 miles for an hour going on vacation.
2+ hours at the same cost as filling with gasoline. LOL

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
I love it lol
Gotta spend about 100 to fill my f150 today...but it will go 600 miles on the tank lol
Had to do that on Monday, had a busy weekend and I usually try not to go past half a tank. Shame on me for complaining about the ~4 minutes I had to wait to fill my tank for that 600+ miles.

Those of you here that own an EV know how many hours does it takes you to get that kind of range in a real world situation i.e. using creature comforts and driving casually, not hyper-mileing??? Also is 600 miles of range even possible on a single charge for any EV currently being sold???

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

Established Member
Had to do that on Monday, had a busy weekend and I usually try not to go past half a tank. Shame on me for complaining about the ~4 minutes I had to wait to fill my tank for that 600+ miles.

Those of you here that own an EV know how many hours does it takes you to get that kind of range in a real world situation i.e. using creature comforts and driving casually, not hyper-mileing??? Also is 600 miles of range even possible on a single charge for any EV currently being sold???
The answer is no.

andymarkv

Established Member
It will be interesting to see the residual value of these trucks...
Because Ford went with a 400v architecture (vs. 800v) they will always charge slower as charging infrastructure improves. They were outdated while sitting on the lot.

If they become basically worthless, I could see picking one up for a local runabout/beater. Although, with only a 5.5' bed...its not even worth much for that.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Because Ford went with a 400v architecture (vs. 800v) they will always charge slower as charging infrastructure improves. They were outdated while sitting on the lot.

If they become basically worthless, I could see picking one up for a local runabout/beater. Although, with only a 5.5' bed...its not even worth much for that.

Besides parking an uncontrollable firebomb in your garage, how long will you keep it and:
1) Who will want it then?
2) Will it have any value?
3) Will you have to pay for its disposal?

SecondhandSnake

Established Member

It's really going to turn how the used market works on its head. We're reaching the point I'm seeing a lot of early first generation EVs and some hybrids pop up in the used market. The ones with so called recently replaced batteries are really cheap. The ones with end of life batteries are worth next to nothing. And I had to look into how much it would be to replace them. Even with the cheap overseas batteries it's thousands of dollars. And that's with the early ones that have simpler architecture and much smaller batteries than what's coming out now.

It's like if every older used car needed a new engine- but worse. At least with the old high mileage ICE beaters there were plenty that might leak like a sieve, eat oil, or make a horrible racket, but with some fixes (or enough bottles of goop) it would get you where you're going. An old battery won't even do that.

02reaper

Established Member

As far as I know, lucid is the only EV that is close to that range. Last month on vacation in my lightning on a trip 425 miles one way I had to stop once for a 35 minute charge to make it to my destination with enough range to drive around there for a week if I didn't use any other charging. Cost me $32 on that charge. Didn't even break a $100 bill for total charging from home, trip there, trip back for a total of around 875 miles.

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

Established Member
As far as I know, lucid is the only EV that is close to that range. Last month on vacation in my lightning on a trip 425 miles one way I had to stop once for a 35 minute charge to make it to my destination with enough range to drive around there for a week if I didn't use any other charging. Cost me $32 on that charge. Didn't even break a $100 bill for total charging from home, trip there, trip back for a total of around 875 miles.
LOL! Insane!

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member

If EV's weren't being rammed down our throats, I would say good on you for making it work out.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
Mind if I ask what your displayed range is on a full charge and if it is truthful or optimistic, curious how an EV compares to an ICE in this regard. Also how many miles and what percentage did you get with that 35 minute pit stop???

02reaper

Established Member
Mind if I ask what your displayed range is on a full charge and if it is truthful or optimistic, curious how an EV compares to an ICE in this regard. Also how many miles and what percentage did you get with that 35 minute pit stop???
Unlike a lot of others that post on their range, on long drives I usually come out better. On the home stretch I come out 60 miles more than it calculated to the good. Mine is the extended range and when I charge to 100% mine displays about 305 is miles of range which is realistic. I also have almost 14k miles on mine now so maybe its learned my ways pretty decently. Here's the logs from that charge.

Attachments

• IMG-7843.PNG
    IMG-7843.PNG
    490.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG-7844.PNG
    IMG-7844.PNG
    464.7 KB · Views: 62

Users who are viewing this thread