Lightning lower intake manifold

amoosenamedhank

Established Member
I'm a little confused on how the lightning lower intake manifold works. Is the heat exchanger part of the manifold? It is sitting between the s/c and the manifold I would assume? If so can the heat exchanger be removed from the manifold? I ask because I'm planning on putting a centrifugally s/c 5.4 2v into my mustang and I need to work out a lower intake manifold that would work. I was think about using the lower of a lightning and making a custom upper. Now I'm not sure because I can't seem to find any detailed/good pictures of how the manifold works. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
28850-843-14375.jpg

28850-843-14378.jpg

28850-843-14379.jpg

You really need a pic from the underside of the last one I posted. I thought I had one, but can't find it. The I/c will unbolt from it. Try the search button and search for 'intercooler'. You'll find a ton.

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
The intercooler mounts to the bottom of the SC. The entire unit is then dropped on and into the lower intake manifold. The lower intake is like a tank for the intercooler to sit in. The intercooler is saturated in coolant. The coolant that flows throught the lower intake and intercooler is actually cooled by the heat exchanger. The heat exchanger is mounted behind the lower grill assembly on the L. The system is operates off a pump that keeps the coolant flowing from the coolant res. to the lower intake, into the intercooler, and out to the heat exchanger...Then the cycle starts all over again.

This may not be 100% on, but it is the way I understand it.

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
Ok judging by the pics, the intercooler doesn't mount to the bottom of the SC like it does on the 03-04 Cobra, it is set into the lower intake alone.......See we both just learned something:D

amoosenamedhank

Established Member
Hey thanks alot guys. I really appreciate the help, because I'm actually going to use it. Don't worry I'm not one of those people that come on the forum with no intention of actually doing what I asked about. If anyone's interested hopefully I will have this thing up and running in the summer maybe I'll post some pics. I know it's not a SVT but hey you never know it's not your everyday set up.

amoosenamedhank

Established Member
In the actual plenium area where is the coolant coming from? I am planning on doing a air/air intercooled procharger. I don't need the heat exchanger I just want the lower part of the manifold because that's where the injector boss are and it is an easy way to connect to the ports. I obvoiusly don't want coolant splashing around in there.

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
See where the 2 metal tubes come out?? You'd need to have those holes filled. There must be an easier way...

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Why not keep the factor intercooler instead of trying to plumb up an air-air heat exchanger? Doing so would require much less work.

I too have thought of doing this.

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
Or use an intake off of a regular F 150 and have it ported or something. If your not using the intercooler there really isnt a need to go thru that crap to make it work

amoosenamedhank

Established Member
lightninmike said:
Or use an intake off of a regular F 150 and have it ported or something. If your not using the intercooler there really isnt a need to go thru that crap to make it work

I don't want to use the intake off of the regular 5.4 because it is a horrible design. You also can't port it because it is a composite intake. So I'm stuck trying to impervise. I want to use the intercooler because it comes with the procharger kits. I don't think use the air/air will be that bad because it will just be using a GT mustang supercharger kit with an altered bracket. I will make my own custome upper and my GT throttle body and just set it up so that it will line up the the s/c kit.

amoosenamedhank

Established Member
SID297 said:
If you use the stock intake all you'd have to do is build a box with the tb on it and run a pipe to it.

That is pretty much all I'm planning on do with the intake anyways. I was just going to pull out the heat exchanger, weld what ever needs to be welded to block the coolant and then just build a box for the top with my tb/and u/p.

Well I guess it's not totally out of the question but how efficent are these heat exchangers? I guess I've always prefered an air/air for a street car.

Another question is there a difference between the lower intake from the time the lightning was like 320hp to when it was like 380hp(not sure on the exact numbers)?

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
360 to 380 but no there is no difference besides intercooler rows but that wont apply to what your doing.
Wouldnt and intake with runners be better for your setup? I dont really care how you do it as it is your project but that would make sense to me. You know for like tq curve and such. IDK maybe it wouldnt make a diff at all

amoosenamedhank

Established Member
lightninmike said:
360 to 380 but no there is no difference besides intercooler rows but that wont apply to what your doing.
Wouldnt and intake with runners be better for your setup? I dont really care how you do it as it is your project but that would make sense to me. You know for like tq curve and such. IDK maybe it wouldnt make a diff at all

Well I'm not sure yet, you may be correct. You are right longer runners would be more conducive for torque. Unfortunately with my almost non existing options this seems to be the best way. This entire build is kinda just an experiment, I'll have to see what I end up with. My reasoning is the 5.4's torque band is alright way higher then the 4.6. I will use the 5.4 to solve my torque problem and boost to solve my horsepower problems. I don't really think the runner length is as crucial when the car is under boost as well.... but I guess we'll have to see.

Bootbox

Established Member
Water to air is the better design, you don't see real race teams with air to air setups, no matter the vehicle. The water to air design is typically too expensive for most street cars that's why you don't see it too much, but in your case if you'll have all the parts you should use them, rather than go out of your way to install an inferior system.

:beer:

amoosenamedhank

Established Member
Bootbox said:
Water to air is the better design, you don't see real race teams with air to air setups, no matter the vehicle. The water to air design is typically too expensive for most street cars that's why you don't see it too much, but in your case if you'll have all the parts you should use them, rather than go out of your way to install an inferior system.

:beer:

Damn, now you guys are making me think. I guess I should put this under consideration. Crap just more to think about. The only think that I've heard is that after awhile of being on the street the heat exchanger will suffer from extensive heat soke. Where as a air/air would not be as good on a track it would be better for street driven car because it always has a cold air flow. What are you guy's thoughts on this. I'm not totally against either idea. I'm just looking for the best idea for my situation.

Edit: Another quick question, does anyone know a good place to start looking for the intake and possible the heat exchanger system without buying the entire supercharger assembly?

Last edited:

FordFanStan

Established Member
I would either call custom Lightning shops and/or wrecking yards and see if any of them have the Lightnings parts you need. Places like JDM or Ford will be too expensive...

On another note, maybe it would be worth while to use the air to water stock intercooler design, and to aid in cooling your IAT's purchase a Cobra chiller type tank and hook it up to the 5.4 Lightning intercooler assembly. One that runs off your A/C. Then you could have low IAT's all year long with just the click of your A/C?... Stan

amoosenamedhank

Established Member
Yeah, I like the cobra tank idea. I'm a little worried because up here in minnesota specialty shops and junk yards that actually have things worth buying are pretty rare.

Users who are viewing this thread