Lightning motor swap!

Jad G

Broke but fast
Established Member
Yep its true i'm working on swapping a 5.4 lightning motor in my 97 GT and had a few Q's. Not only am i swapping in the motor but im throwing in a cobra T56 as well. I'm still gathering a few necessary parts for the swap such as heat extractor, clutch, flywheel, some idler pullies, etc. Anyways I have got a cai, 6# lower, cat-less midpipe and muffler curious to what numbers i will see because my goal is low 11's high 10's on slicks,eventually not necessarily om the stock bottom end or blower. idk i got a great deal on the motor and tranny and I thought it would be quite a different swap so i'll keep you guys posted cause im gonna have lots of questions. Oh and about the hood clearence, I lucked out and found motor mounts that drop modular motors almost an inch and i have a friend that does body work who is gonna make a custom hood with an existing cowl and some more work. i can't wait should be an awesome street/strip car!

bda1855

Member of the Boosted16
Established Member
I believe MMFF went 11s on a bone stock 5.4L lightning motor in a Fox body... and 10s on a 4# lower...

So with a 6# lower you should be fine...

get a really good dyno tune and let her rip!!! the stock bottom end should be fine for now...

But yeah your gonna need a BIG cowl hood.

red97

Established Member
aw crap I posted under my bro's sn. Yeah i remember that project frightning. That car is a tad lighter than mine. I have a 97 sn95. But the motor is VERY fresh. 4000 original miles, picked it up for $2000 cash. lol yeah 4.5" or 5" cowl may be in order. Hopefully those drop mounts give me a lil slack:coolman:

bda1855

Member of the Boosted16
Established Member
aw crap I posted under my bro's sn. Yeah i remember that project frightning. That car is a tad lighter than mine. I have a 97 sn95. But the motor is VERY fresh. 4000 original miles, picked it up for $2000 cash. lol yeah 4.5" or 5" cowl may be in order. Hopefully those drop mounts give me a lil slack:coolman:

Nice is that motor complete from blower to pan? if so thats a good deal! i paid $2100 for my 03 longblock shipped... but it had 13K miles on it..

red97

Established Member
Nice is that motor complete from blower to pan? if so thats a good deal! i paid $2100 for my 03 longblock shipped... but it had 13K miles on it..

yep, blower and everything, almost everything to do the swap except a heat exchanger. speaking of which im assuming the stock L exchanger will not fit, soo im sure a 03 cobra one would? Or should i step it up to afco or fluyidine?

red97

Established Member
+1... try Ebay... they are on there all the time for a decent price...

a nice Afco double pass for an 03/04 cobra will be just fine!

sweet thank guys. Another thing, I have 4.10 gears in my rear right now. How's that going to affect my setup with a blower. Keep in mind I have a t-56. Also whats the Rev limit on the stock 5.4?

FordFanStan

Established Member
With 1" drop mounts, you will still need a 5"+ cowl hood. With the stock mounts and stock K member, you would have to cut a small hole in the hood where the intake plenum would still stick through on a 6" cowl...

Use a Cobra heat exchanger, stock or aftermarket, and it will suffice just fine...

With a 6# lower and a good dyno tune, (guessing your on 91 octane there, so say max of 14* timing up top with a conservative 11.5 A/F), through your T56 I would guess an approximate 460-475rwhp. With proper traction that should put you in the mid to high 11's... Stan

Last edited:

red97

Established Member
Thank goodness for those motor mounts then, So I'm asuming I should swap the 4.10's for 3.55? You dont think I can hit low 11's with 460 rwhp! Oh yeah an we have 93 here and yeah I have a fantastic tuner lined up.

ecoastkid

Established Member
I think you will be able to hit low 11's You'll probably be 550 ft pounds of tourque!!!........would be better i fyou keep it auto for drag racing though.

Good luck with it. I want to see pics!

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
I'd like to see this swap done with a Whipple, it would GREATLY reduce the overall hieght.

You can safely and continually rev the 5.4 to 5400, even 5600 in stock trim. Built 5.4's have seen 6000+ without much issue. The thing to watch for mainly is s/c max rpm as well as not overrevving the engine of course.

In a car that light with the planned mods you may want to try 3.27 gears you'd just need to do the math, 3.55's would be the lowest I'd go. Post some pics when you can.

red97

Established Member
Ok sweet thanks for the rpm info. And yeah I did the whole auto thing, not as fun as 6spd! But I may have a whipple coming from a friends lightning for cheap, plus it'd give me more hood clearence. But I think i may have to swap gears out with my friends cobra from what you guys are saying. And oh yeah Fade to Black i can get some pics of the motor and tranny this weekend possibly!

red97

Established Member
:dw:5400-5600 rpm thats it?? I was thinking 5900-6 At least is it because its a 5.4 and you dont wanna spinn the blower to fast. I revved my 4.6 to 6250 stock bottom end all day. I know for a fact the project frightning from MM&FF they spun it to 5900

honda hunter

Old School
Established Member
I did this swap a couple of years ago. Wasn't easy or cheap. The best we could do was get it under a 4inch cowl hood. Maybe could've squeezed it under a 3. I'll try to dig up my 97GT swap pics. If I remember correctly I had a custom made K member to drop it a inch and a custom s/c intake plenum. Also reused my 4r70w with a 3k stall. It made 400rwhp. We didn't swap the pulley I don't think. Just the usual bolt ons.

Users who are viewing this thread