Lightning,what's the best year

dieselcrank

Established Member
Looking for a clean 50,000 mile or less to purchase, I've been reading that 2003 is the best, the head and piston slap issues in prior years were solved.Give me opinions please and thanks in advance.

Looking for silver,gray,lest mods the better.

MJG

Established Member
03/04 have 8 threads compared to earlier year 4 threads. Most things are pretty much the same throughout with little tweaks here n there i.e. heavier payload leafs, trim accents interior, wheels etc.
03/04 are most desired

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
I agree, DSG FTW.

As mentioned, not too much changed over the years. The 99-00 had an IC that was prone to leaking and the 99-02 (and even some of the early 03s) came with the four thread heads which are more prone to launching plugs. This isn't a big problem as long as you torque them properly and check periodically to ensure they haven't loosened.

Performance-wise the 99-00s made less power than the later years (360 BHP/440 BTQ versus 380 BHP/450 BTQ produced by the later years).

Cosmetically the 99s were the only year not to have color matched mirrors. The 99-00 all have the same grille, headlights, fog lights, corner lights, tail lights and 3rd brake light as did the 01-04s (but with newer styles).

Other than that there were some other minor cosmetic difference in the interior.

All Lightning regardless of the year fall victim to the cruise control recall so be sure to have it addressed if the truck you buy has not had this issue corrected when you buy it.

Bolt99SVT

missin' the screams...
Established Member
99/00 best looking wheels and tail lights

+1 on the stock wheels. I like the 99/00 wheels the best, and 03/04 wheels aren't bad either... needless to say...the 01/02 wheels are the worst IMO (sorry to offend anyone)...I just hate that flatness. But overall, I think the 18s are just too small for the wheel wells...unless you lower the truck.

BOT... I would definitely get an '03 or '04 L if I get the chance to afford one again. I absolutely LOVE the Sonic Blue!!! :rockon::thumbsup:

Frank

Users who are viewing this thread