lightnings and the cold

slow_v6_stang

Established Member
i hear lots of people talking about how they lean out on cold days and even detonate...its this a problem on all trucks or just ones that are modded and/or have a poor tune? i will be getting a '01 lightning this summer and it will be driven year round (i live in central wisconsin) and i dont want any troubles.

mustang_eas

Established Member
I've seen as much as a 3 psi difference due to colder denser air in the winter, thats enough to throw a good tune way off

mustang_eas

Established Member
In my case that was with a bone stock truck, the factory tune isn't to aggressive so not to big a deal, more a problem with aftermarket tunes

moon

Established Member
the factory tune

Just a curious scenario question from someone new to programs that are modified and flashed to memory like the BIOS in a computer.

Someone has a tuner device (let's say- SCT X2 as the example) and the tuner setup the parameters for a good street tune and a aggressive race tune.

This person changes all equipment back to stock and wants the stock Ford tune. How does he get back to that original tune flash??

Last edited:

slow_v6_stang

Established Member
Just a curious scenario question from someone new to programs that are modified and flashed to memory like the BIOS in a computer.

Someone has a tuner device (let's say- SCT X2 as the example) and the tuner setup the parameters for a good street tune and a aggressive race tune.

This person changes all equipment back to stock and wants the stock Ford tune. How does he get back to that original tune flash??

simply select "return vehicle to stock" or something along the lines of that on the x-cal 2 handheld device and it is back to the stock tune.

Mr Weber

Established Member
:beer: I drive my stock L year round in central wisconsin and dont have a problem!!! I do avoid WOT when it gets really cold!!!

96lasersnake

storm trooper'd cobra
Established Member
I havnt been around these truck to long but am confused by this. I have several friends with 500+ 03-04 cobras, and I had a 03 with 520 RWHP and never had a problem with the cold. Are the Lightning computers shitty and can not compensate for the cold? Or are the tuners running them too close to the edge? I feel like there should be no reason to have a winter and summer tune unless the tune is so close to blowing?

TechNine

Muscle Mafia
Established Member
I have logged several WOT runs in weather around 32* with mods in sig... And never pegged MAF.

Bluebolt

Hold my beer n watch this
Established Member
most tuners do a cold weather tune and hot weather tune but still say to keep WOT runs in cold to a minimum if at all.

I'm running 4lb lower and won't push it if it's under 60*. but i dont have money for new block.

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
I have several friends with 500+ 03-04 cobras, and I had a 03 with 520 RWHP and never had a problem with the cold. Are the Lightning computers shitty and can not compensate for the cold? Or are the tuners running them too close to the edge? I feel like there should be no reason to have a winter and summer tune unless the tune is so close to blowing?

03-04 Cobras aren't plagued by sh***y rods like the Ls are, so they're more forgiving. Also, as I'm sure you are aware, cooler air is more dense. Cold air is extremely dense... more so than MAF can calculate as it rushes past the sensor. Since the MAF reads less air flow than what is actually coming into the motor a lean A/F results. Having tunes for both cooler and warmer conditions simply allows for a person to maximize power "safely" regardless of the outside temps, so he/she doesn't have to compromise power in warmer temps for the sake of safety in cooler temps.

slow_v6_stang

Established Member
:beer: I drive my stock L year round in central wisconsin and dont have a problem!!! I do avoid WOT when it gets really cold!!!

just curious, where in wisconsin are you? and where do you draw the line on when not to stomp on it?

would a wideband be beneficial on a stock truck that is driven in the cold weather?

Users who are viewing this thread