Lightweight street wheels that fit over the Brembos?...

Frankiebonez

Established Member
So I dont have this car yet but I'm ordering a loaded to the gills GT in the next week or 2. I'm looking into getting a set of wheels for this future beast.

I had my 03 Cobra and one of my favorite mods was lightweight wheels. I'm a sucker for nice light wheels.... performance and style whats better right?! So I ran some Enkei RPF1s and they were great. 18x10 in the back and 18x8 up front. Looked great on the Cobra and I could rn a Mickey Thompson drag radial, street legal tire and HOOK on the road. Surprised alot of people with that tires setup! :bowdown:

My question is what size wheel can I fit over those large ass brembo front calipers? I would love to fit a 18" wheel on the front and back or something like that. Hell I'd rock a set of 19s also if the weight was right!

I will need to do some sort of wheel/tire upgrade immediately. The stock tires on the back dont hook up for shit and I'm not driving around with anything other than a drag radial... from what I gathered there isnt one in the 19s OEM size (correct me if I'm wrong!) so hence my wheel thoughts. I need something nice and light that will get the job done!! :pepper:

Thanks for any help! :burnout::burnout:

BlackNDecker

Come at me bro!
Established Member
Unfortunately, there is not an optimal offset with the RPF1 (or PF01) on Brembo equipped Mustangs. Check out Vorshlag.com...this guy did extensive fitment testing and came to the conclusion that neither of these wheels will work on Brembo equipped stangs. His blog is well documented with photos so it is worth your time to read through it. Some people are running PF01s but the fender fitment is sunk in and terrible looking IMO.

I was just in the same boat as you. The lightest weight you are gonna find is 20-21 lbs for an 18" wheel that clears the Brembos. BBS, D-Force, and TSW Nurburing all come in about the same weight but at major differences in price.

I have not seen the weight for Forgestar F14s or CF10s in 18"....anybody know???

Frankiebonez

Established Member
Damn that sucks... maybe i shouldnt get the brembos then.... :(

Is there a good drag radial that fits on a 19" wheel yet? I would run 19s I suppose if I had to, I just want to have good quality tires available, mainly the MT drag radials. Those tires are like freakin' cheating on the street they hook so good. AND they are legal!!!

Last edited:

BlackNDecker

Come at me bro!
Established Member
If you want to run red light to red light...then you may not get your money's worth out of the Brembos.

But even if you get a car without Brembos, that doesn't mean it's going to be any easier to fit Enkei wheels...I think the problem is simply that the sizes and offsets are wrong for our car. Read the blog I recommended...you may decide that the fitment is acceptable to you.

5lho

Established Member
the factory Brembo 19s are too narrow to fit the only 19" DR size: 305.

brembo package is for an all around handling, braking, accelerating car, not for the stop light grand prix. I bought it because taken together, it turns the Mustang into a competent back road carver as well as an acceleration blaster. Plus, the BBP brakes are the first Mustang GT factory brakes that have actually inspired confidence when you step on the pedal. I've had 4 Mustangs...even my '68 was equipped with the optional front discs...:rolling:

Frankiebonez

Established Member
If you want to run red light to red light...then you may not get your money's worth out of the Brembos.

But even if you get a car without Brembos, that doesn't mean it's going to be any easier to fit Enkei wheels...I think the problem is simply that the sizes and offsets are wrong for our car. Read the blog I recommended...you may decide that the fitment is acceptable to you.

I dont know if you guys noticed also that the 2013s I'm looking at dont have the track package, its just the Brembo brakes the wheels. None of the other stuff such as suspension or radiator upgrades. This is going to be on an Automatic car as well. I really want a good brake as 5lho mentioned. Even my Cobra brakes werent enough for my tastes. I much rather have to much brake then not enough!

@BlackNDecker, I'm not even trying to run the Enkei's bud. Its not just a red light to red light concern, I like the look of them alot and the OEM wheel is awesome. I wish a good drag radial fit on the OEM 19s!!

My single goal is to find a nice wheel that will fit a drag radial. Thats really it.

A true forged with the brake cutout might be the way to go. I love TF's wheels.

I'm going to look at that article on that website I just havent gotten around to doing it just quite yet.

Thanks to everyone for the help so far! Maybe I wont get the Brembos in the end. I really like the look of them though... I'm surprised more manufactures arent making a larger drag radial in this day and age with people running bigger and bigger wheels.

Last edited:

Frankiebonez

Established Member
Ok checked out that Vorshlag.com website and I have found some great 18" wheels that I would totally rock on the car I plan on getting! I'm sure I can find a good tire with the sizes that I can run and a nice light wheel.

Thanks for that help BlackNDecker!!!

Grant808

Established Member
Ok checked out that Vorshlag.com website and I have found some great 18" wheels that I would totally rock on the car I plan on getting! I'm sure I can find a good tire with the sizes that I can run and a nice light wheel.

Thanks for that help BlackNDecker!!!

I've been looking at those too...my only issue is that only 18x10s will be available for now and I want something narrower for the fronts, like 9 or 9.5"

Frankiebonez

Established Member
Nice wheel, not to heavy, but I'm NOT paying 900$ for a freakin wheel thats nuts!!!!

I think the 18" Enkei's I saw will find there way onto the car, probably custom painted black. They are under 20lbs each and will let me run a 1/2 inch shorter tire than the OEM 19" tire. This is great because the gearing will be just a tiny bit shorter. I'm anticipating a little bit of gear advantage will be helpful even with the 650WHP I plan to make! :-D

Frankiebonez

Established Member
The Enkei's I can probably get with tires for like 2300$ each, painted a flat black color. Might do a custom Ford logo center cap as well. Flat black wheels on a Grey 2013 Mustang GT I think will be a really hot look!

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
Those wheels on Vorshlag would be sweet if they had a narrower front wheel. That would be a good lightweight street wheel to run a DR with.

Hey_Its_Cole

Established Member
Unfortunately, there is not an optimal offset with the RPF1 (or PF01) on Brembo equipped Mustangs. Check out Vorshlag.com...this guy did extensive fitment testing and came to the conclusion that neither of these wheels will work on Brembo equipped stangs. His blog is well documented with photos so it is worth your time to read through it. Some people are running PF01s but the fender fitment is sunk in and terrible looking IMO.

I was just in the same boat as you. The lightest weight you are gonna find is 20-21 lbs for an 18" wheel that clears the Brembos. BBS, D-Force, and TSW Nurburing all come in about the same weight but at major differences in price.

I have not seen the weight for Forgestar F14s or CF10s in 18"....anybody know???

Most of the boss guys are going with PF01's for their track wheels. Some are doing 9.5 up front 10.5 rear, 10in all the way around or 9.5 inch all the way around. No one seems to be having problems getting off-sets that work either. Strano even sells them under the 2011+ mustang category Link

PF01 on Boss

I wanted something different and went with the Forgstar F14's in Bronze burst 18x10 Square setup +42 off-set. They should be here next month and weigh 18.xx lbs. I am throwing Continental Challenge take offs on there for track days.

Last edited:

BlackNDecker

Come at me bro!
Established Member
Most of the boss guys are going with PF01's for their track wheels. Some are doing 9.5 up front 10.5 rear, 10in all the way around or 9.5 inch all the way around. No one seems to be having problems getting off-sets that work either. Strano even sells them under the 2011+ mustang category Link

PF01 on Boss

I'm aware people are using them for track wheels...but they really don't look good in terms of fender fitment...I would not run them for street wheels. The fitment is off in every picture I've seen on a Mustang...even in the link you posted there appears to be fender poke (aka mexi-flush) in the rear. Vorshlag covered all of this in his blog...check it out.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
the vorshlag D-sport wheels are the best option. vorshlag had those produced to spec because of this hole in the market for S197 wheels. being available only in 10" width is great for the track people but of course not optimal for drag racers. granted, there are much better options for drag wheels anyways.

Hey_Its_Cole

Established Member
I'm aware people are using them for track wheels...but they really don't look good in terms of fender fitment...I would not run them for street wheels. The fitment is off in every picture I've seen on a Mustang...even in the link you posted there appears to be fender poke (aka mexi-flush) in the rear. Vorshlag covered all of this in his blog...check it out.

017hk.jpg

Looks good to me :shrug:.

Users who are viewing this thread