Limited slip or traction locker

Snake_93

Established Member
When I had my axle shafts replaced the mechanic informed me that my limited slip is very warn and oval shaped. He said it wouldnt be long before it totally went out and it has happened. When I step on the gas I only get traction to the right rear wheel and it spins badly. What should a new limited slip cost me? And where could I purchase one?

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Ok..Somebody please tell me how the carrier assembly could be oval shaped?

I have done many, many ring and pinion replacements in the last few years and I don't see how this is possible.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
I could see the clutches as being really worn, never seen one oval shaped though...

Did the mechanic use the correct friction modifier when he replaced the fluid? If not, it might be worthwhile to do a fluid swap and add that friction modifier. Sometimes that will bring an old limited slip back to life.

Jags93Cobra

Established Member
How can you tell if your limited slip is shot while the car is sitting in the garage? I was told by a friend to jack up one wheel off the ground and if you can spin it that means it is bad. I was able to spin mine very easily but the car only has 8,000 miles on it. I do use slicks occasionally. Anybody have any ideas?

Jags93Cobra

Established Member
Well, what I have been told to do is jack up only one wheel off the ground and try to spin it. The idea is if you are able to spin it then the clutches are worn out. The thing is that it was incredibly easy to do, to the point where I thought this couldn't be right. I did this to both sides while the car was in neutral. What do you guys think? I have'nt been able to see if both wheels are spinning while i'm heating the slicks.??

03DOHC

Established Member
You just need to put new clutches in there. A kit cost about 50 bucks or so. It is normal wear that comes along with having a clutch type limited slip.

You can go with a locker or a torsen that doesn't have clutches to wear out.

predator

Established Member
I am going with a Torsen myself. I found too many people that run their cars hard tend to wear the clutch type LS prematurely. Major cause is heat. Since I plan to O/T, I am building a spare IRS with a torsen (no clutches) and diff cooler.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Dude, if your car has only 8k miles on it then I doubt the rear end is shot. It is normal for your wheel to turn when the the other side is on the ground.

Only a true locker rearend would not turn with one wheel on the ground

Snake_93

Established Member
well I am no mechanic so I am taking to a differential shop and they quoted me $600 for an eaton and labor.

93ReefNotch

Established Member
Originally posted by Snake_93
well I am no mechanic so I am taking to a differential shop and they quoted me $600 for an eaton and labor.

If your thinking about going with the Eaton, I highly recommend it. :thumbsup:

Snake_93

Established Member
Originally posted by 93ReefNotch
If your thinking about going with the Eaton, I highly recommend it. :thumbsup:

thanks for the reply. guess thats what I am going with then

JoeJoe

Established Member
Eaton Posi

I agree completely with the Eaton diff. I put one in a 00 GT with 4:10's and the thing was rock solid off the line. Those carbon fiber discs in it are pretty trick. I had 31 spline superior axles put in also....

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread