Limits of 2014 Mustang GT?

Fdlp83

The whine & cheese party
Established Member
Guys, I need some feedback on longevity of a 2014 Mustang Coyote... I just purchased a Whipple blower. The car is pretty much stock with LT headers & exhaust. 6-spd, with Brembo package. I plan to use 8-9 lbs of boost.It almost has 30,000 miles. My goal hp is between 580-600 rwhp. What are some considerations? Thanks in advance.

PC03GT

Established Member
Shouldn't be a problem, just don't bounce off the rev limiter if you're not doing OPGs

Oxford5pointoh

Established Member
OPGs? Pardon my ignorance.

Oil pump gears

I have a whipple 2.9 front feed on my 14 GT also, and while it's probably ok I just ordered billet OPGs and will be installing them for piece of mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Fdlp83

The whine & cheese party
Established Member
Aaaahhhh! Well, I installed a FRPP Geroto Cobra Jet high flow oil pump and BOSS 302 oil cooler kit back when I did the cobra jet intake set-up.. I should have mentioned that too. *facepalm*

And what are the upper limits of hp & tq for the motor, tranny, driveshaft, etc?

Last edited:

Fdlp83

The whine & cheese party
Established Member
Sorry. Trying to get a hang of posting threads.

Last edited:

Fdlp83

The whine & cheese party
Established Member
Oil pump gears

I have a whipple 2.9 front feed on my 14 GT also, and while it's probably ok I just ordered billet OPGs and will be installing them for piece of mind

How do you like it? I ordered the Stage 3. My shop said this kit will be fine, since the headers will drop about a lbs of boost.It? Is this true?

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
Aaaahhhh! Well, I installed a FRPP Geroto Cobra Jet high flow oil pump and BOSS 302 oil cooler kit back when I did the cobra jet intake set-up.. I should have mentioned that too. *facepalm*

And what are the upper limits of hp & tq for the motor, tranny, driveshaft, etc?

Don't go off the the upper limits. You could have a 1000rwhp stock motor that lasts for years if you never get on it. The motor can blow at as little as 585rwhp, or be pushed to 1000rwhp. The general consensus with these motors is a 600-620 safe max for everyday driving. Some people are pushing up to 700 with no problems too. Mine let go after 16,000 miles from a VMP TVS at 9.5lbs of boost. Bad tank of gas. All you really need is good fuel and oil pump gears.

The MT-82 is finicky. Some people have no problems whatsoever with conservative boost, while others blow them at stock power levels. I've have seen just as many V6 MT-82 cars with broken trannys as the V8 here at the shop.

Driveshaft should be fine if you have an auto, but probably not a good idea if you have a stick car and are launching the vehicle hard. You'll end up twisting the shaft at the minimum. Either way, wouldn't be a bad idea to swap it out for a better piece.

Everything depends on your driving habits.

Fdlp83

The whine & cheese party
Established Member
Don't go off the the upper limits. You could have a 1000rwhp stock motor that lasts for years if you never get on it. The motor can blow at as little as 585rwhp, or be pushed to 1000rwhp. The general consensus with these motors is a 600-620 safe max for everyday driving. Some people are pushing up to 700 with no problems too. Mine let go after 16,000 miles from a VMP TVS at 9.5lbs of boost. Bad tank of gas. All you really need is good fuel and oil pump gears.

The MT-82 is finicky. Some people have no problems whatsoever with conservative boost, while others blow them at stock power levels. I've have seen just as many V6 MT-82 cars with broken trannys as the V8 here at the shop.

Driveshaft should be fine if you have an auto, but probably not a good idea if you have a stick car and are launching the vehicle hard. You'll end up twisting the shaft at the minimum. Either way, wouldn't be a bad idea to swap it out for a better piece.

Thanks for all that. I've read about the MT82s. Mine has been pretty good. The highest rating of octane we can get in my area is 91. I try sticking to Shell & Chevron. My car will be meant to be a daily driver. Of course, let it rip once in a while. I rarely go from a dig. Any other suggestions? Is it true that having Long Tubes drops about a lbs of boost? I ordered a Whipple stage 3.

Last edited:

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
Thanks for all that. I've read about the MT82s. Mine has been pretty good. The highest rating of octane we can get in my area is 91. I try sticking to Shell & Chevron. My car will be meant to be a daily driver. Of course, let it rip once in a while. I rarely go from a dig. Any other suggestions? Is it true that having Long Tubes drops about a lbs of boost? I ordered a Whipple stage 3.

Yes, long tubes reduces the exhaust restriction and will drop from 0.5-1lbs of boost. You may see a slight drop in tq, and more hp because of this, but all it is really doing is shifting your power band to the right, in the higher rpm range.

If you are going with long tubes, do NOT use the supplied O2 extensions. There is enough slack in the harness to reach without using them. Just find where it is held up and use the slack.

And whatever you do, don't let Bama/American Muscle tune your car. There are lots of reputable tuners here with less of a shaky past like Lund Racing, AED, TSS, Blowjob Racing, Sai Li, Rev Auto, Chris Holmes, and VMP.

Fdlp83

The whine & cheese party
Established Member

Yes, long tubes reduces the exhaust restriction and will drop from 0.5-1lbs of boost. You may see a slight drop in tq, and more hp because of this, but all it is really doing is shifting your power band to the right, in the higher rpm range.

If you are going with long tubes, do NOT use the supplied O2 extensions. There is enough slack in the harness to reach without using them. Just find where it is held up and use the slack.

And whatever you do, don't let Bama/American Muscle tune your car. There are lots of reputable tuners here with less of a shaky past like Lund Racing, AED, TSS, Blowjob Racing, Sai Li, Rev Auto, Chris Holmes, and VMP.

Yes, sir. I learned my lesson with Bama... I'm getting the kit installed and tuned at Motiva Motorsports in Albuquerque. Any suggestions in driveshafts? How about clutch kits?

Oxford5pointoh

Established Member
How do you like it? I ordered the Stage 3. My shop said this kit will be fine, since the headers will drop about a lbs of boost.It? Is this true?

I love it.

Not sure about headers dropping the boost, I'm stock right now (headers and cats) but I have some kooks LTS and a catted midpipe on the way.

Fdlp83

The whine & cheese party
Established Member
I love it.

Not sure about headers dropping the boost, I'm stock right now (headers and cats) but I have some kooks LTS and a catted midpipe on the way.

That's the exhaust set-up I currently have. You'll love it.

Fdlp83

The whine & cheese party
Established Member

I had another question.... I know quite a few peeps have had issues with the MT-82. Is this cause for concern, putting on this blower?

DaBigBone

Established Member
I really think the MT82 is hit or miss. Like stated above, some people beat on them with 600+ for years with no issues, other people blow them on stock power levels.

A blower will obviously put the trans under more stress when shifting hard but if you're at 30k miles with 0 issues I'd say you'll probably be ok. I'd highly recommend a new clutch though.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
From everything I've seen the rods are what usually gives first on the 11-14 cars and I think anything over 500tq/550hp and you should be prepared to accept a blown engine. I know many many people have and are running higher numbers, but the fact is your adding boost to a motor that wasn't designed for it.

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
From everything I've seen the rods are what usually gives first on the 11-14 cars and I think anything over 500tq/550hp and you should be prepared to accept a blown engine. I know many many people have and are running higher numbers, but the fact is your adding boost to a motor that wasn't designed for it.

Couldn't have said it better myself. this is a reason why I think I'm goin full out n/a.

imeyers302

Established Member
Couldn't have said it better myself. this is a reason why I think I'm goin full out n/a.

You are going to spend nearly as much money going NA to chase 500whp as you would just bolting on a supercharger. Just run low boost and stay around 550whp. The car will easily handle that power for many years and it will drive just like stock until you get into it. Look at all the Roush cars that last at that power level for years and years without issue. A supercharger can be bolted on in one to two days depending on which one. That's a lot easier than doing a full na build with heads, cams, headers, etc...

Users who are viewing this thread