Limp Mode Reset

prison90

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Trying to get my car to tuner after installing a 10% OD I.W. and a 65mm TB. The car went into limp mode anyone know how to reset this . Hoping the tune will fix the problem but I have to get there first .I have a SCT tuner that came with the car

HKusp

Established Member
I am not certain and I would hope that someone who IS certain will be by shortly, but I would try unhooking the battery for a few minutes then, hook it back up, use the SCT to read and clear any codes.

prison90

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I did disconnect the battery and it seem run better . Then of course I tried to boost it a little and fell on it face again . Wonder if I lost a 02 sensor . VMP said I had to be catless for the 10% OD but I still have high flow cats with headers.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Trying to get my car to tuner after installing a 10% OD I.W. and a 65mm TB. The car went into limp mode anyone know how to reset this . Hoping the tune will fix the problem but I have to get there first .I have a SCT tuner that came with the car
Likely related to the throttle tables. The tuner must of adjusted the tables on the stock throttle body. Then when you added the 65mm its out of spec. Try putting stock on back on.

prison90

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I have not made it to the tuner yet . I just installed the TB and let it adjust it self and drove it . I took a couple of short runs it seem to run good . Also tried putting the old one back on and the same result . I was on my way to drop it off at the tuner when started acting up once I started pulling in fourth gear. The Tuner is around 60 mile from my house . Your probally right that the previous tuner had the stock ported one tuned before

Willie

Established Member
Did it set any codes?

You didn't say whether you transferred the TPS and/or throttle actuator from the old TB.

Typically, the failsafe triggers when a different TB is installed, with new electronics. I've seen codes P2104 and/or P2112 countless times.

I assume the 65mm is the twin throttle blade Ford unit. This TB does have published data for tune purposes but I have found personally that it can run with stock data.

The OD crank pulley does not "need" a tune change, although it is somewhat advisable to increase your Load above 1.60 in the tune for increased versatility. The 1.60 value equates to ~9 psig, and a 15 percent over is roughly equivalent to 4 psig, so I imagine a 10 percent is good for 2.5 - 3.0 psig, which I would not consider sufficient by itself to require a tune. But I do not know how close to the cusp of your current tune you currently are, so.......

Last edited:

HKusp

Established Member
I changed my stock TB out for the Ford Racing twin 65 and it idled rougher than with the stock 60mm for about 15 minutes or so, then smoothed out and ran fine after that. That was before I changed over to the Gen2R etc. So this has to be related to the 10% OD. If you got it to run better than got in the boost again, you just set yourself up for failure.

prison90

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I changed my stock TB out for the Ford Racing twin 65 and it idled rougher than with the stock 60mm for about 15 minutes or so, then smoothed out and ran fine after that. That was before I changed over to the Gen2R etc. So this has to be related to the 10% OD. If you got it to run better than got in the boost again, you just set yourself up for failure.
You may be right . I was driving it to the tuner who is around 60 miles from my home . It seemed to running fine . I went into fourth gear and it cut power and then it ran again as long as no boost was applied . I made it home and swap the TB back to stock and it ran the same . Then I put the 65mm TB back on and disconnected the battery for a hour and it started up and sounded good but with even the slightest boost it would cut power . The motor sounds tight but who knows. I cant afford a motor for this car if it comes to that .

Users who are viewing this thread