Local Installs Wa

RickSvt

Its Fast
Established Member
Maybe you should take your battery and alt off and get them tested. You shouldnt drop that much, and 9v, thats not good at all unless you are using a smoke alarm in that car. Your battery should hold more of a charge.

Rick

saleen09

Slow A$$ Kenne Bell Cobra
Established Member
FOx body's are notorious or having bad wiring to alt, causing issues with charging like Joey is talking about. That would be the first thing I'd check.

Also, Joey, ware you running an underdrive pulley on that alt? If so, take it off as those are normally more trouble than they're worth when your running a system like you are. IMHO.

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
I learned that lesson a long time ago. Not worth the minmal power increase, if any, for the charging system problems.

saleen09

Slow A$$ Kenne Bell Cobra
Established Member
Rick, don't buy another pulley puller. You can use my BF unit whenever you need to. You're about the only person I'd loan it to.....and better than it sitting on the shelf.

I also forgot to vouch for RIck and Chuck's workmanship, it's second to none as these guyshave been wrenching on Cobras ( and the occasional TL) for awhile...

Joe5.0

Established Member
RickSvt said:
Maybe you should take your battery and alt off and get them tested. You shouldnt drop that much, and 9v, thats not good at all unless you are using a smoke alarm in that car. Your battery should hold more of a charge.

Rick

Cliiford alarm system as well. The alternator pulley is chrome like the rest of them. So it may be a underdrive.? What else needs to be done.

C Weil

Established Member
One thing to check would be how the power to the alarm system is being drawn. People really, really suck at installing alarms, and they are very rarely done correctly. It should be drawing power through a relay (a solenoid would be better and more proper, but whatever) such that it's not drawing current when the car is on. Unfortunately, most draw it from constant power, which drains the hell out of the battery and helps to overdraw the alternator. Definitely a possibility.

Money is still on the underdrive and alt. wiring, though.

TPGT97

StangAddiction
Established Member
Joe5.0 said:
I need my stereo to stop making that F***** Annoying high pitched noise at idle, and well....all the time. SOOOO Annoying. Can u fix that for me rick?

Your problem is not a 12 volt problem. It is a ground Problem.

Check your fender ground and up grade it from the 12 gauge that it is now to a 4 gauge.

Your battery has two grounds on it. A 4 gauge for the block and a 12 gauge for the fender. The fender ground is the ground that supplies ground for everything in the car minus the block.

So when you upgrade the fender ground you upgrade your charging system.(lights get brighter,battery charges,faster and so on)

suprjagr

WHIPPLED 21LBS.
Established Member
I want to chime in and say that Rick and Chuck did an amazing job on the install of my whipple...In addition, Rick has helped me with any problems or questions that I have had with the cobra, since I've had the car...

Joe5.0

Established Member
Update.

I checked my gorund today and it was very loose, tightened it up, and no more loud noise....atleast for now. I still have a Substantial voltage drop when i turn on my lights, heat, etc.

TPGT97

StangAddiction
Established Member
Joe5.0 said:
Update.

I checked my gorund today and it was very loose, tightened it up, and no more loud noise....atleast for now. I still have a Substantial voltage drop when i turn on my lights, heat, etc.

You still have a ground problem.

Upgrade your fender ground and check the grounds in your kick panel. The grounds in your kick panels are the ones for your dash.

If that doesnt work take your car to an autoparts store (Advanced,Autozone,Pepboys or Batteries Plus) and have them but your battery and alternator under a load test.

Your battery could have a weak cell or the alternator could have a bad diode.

Joe5.0

Established Member
Alternator is BRAND NEW. So it may be the battery. When i just turn the car "on" (not start) im only seeing 9 Volts

Oxford Snake

Established Member
What is the voltage of the battery with it disconnected? Remove the battery and have it tested. You could have a short drawing excessive current.

C Weil

Established Member
Don't rule out the alternator just because it's brand new. That's no guarantee of anything.

Other suggestions were already made, but to add: as was said in more words- when checking grounds, check ALL of them, not just the major ground. It only takes one, even a small one, to cause a problem.

Joe5.0

Established Member
I Believe when the previous owner had the Powermaster Atlernator installed, Brads Custom Auto installed it. Even with that alternator i was still seeing a Voltage drop. What other grounds need to be checked? Ill pull the batter out tmmrw and have it tested. I dont need that RF Surpressor anymore do I? There are so many aftermarket wires on this car its a Nightmare.

TPGT97

StangAddiction
Established Member
I dont think it is a current draw. A 1/2 amp draw can suck a battery down over night. The bad ground could have caused the battery not to get a full charge. Put the battery on a slow charge overnight (2amp).

If that doesnt do take it in and get it checked.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
TPGT97 said:
I dont think it is a current draw. A 1/2 amp draw can suck a battery down over night. The bad ground could have caused the battery not to get a full charge. Put the battery on a slow charge overnight (2amp).

If that doesnt do take it in and get it checked.

And disconnect everything when you charge it.

Users who are viewing this thread