Locking gas cap

finsrin

Established Member
We all know there is not a gas cap.
But,,, is there an after market locking cap for security purposes?
Prevent something detrimental being poored into tank as well as gas siphoned out.

finsrin

Established Member
Thanks for posting that.
Good to know caps are available.
Will be a must-buy item for GT500.

finsrin

Established Member
Signed up with dealer to include Ford cap at delivery time.
Friend works at dealer shop (not Ford) and month or two ago had truck in with obvious sabotage of tank by Jello like sticky substance. Required new tank and fuel system flush to fix. Don't know if injectors had to be replaced. As if a substance intended for such sabotage.
Swayed me to be sure to have locking cap.

Last edited:

reason4treason

Established Member
i'm actually going to get one for my dd today.

i do have to say something about them, and maybe you know of something offered that's better, but here was my experience: for years and years i always got a locking gas cap for my cars as soon as i got the car. one time, without thinking it through, i got one with the usual 2 keys in the pack of course, and just put it on without checking to see if the keys matched the lock. turns out, the keys did not match the lock. told the guy at the counter where i just bought it about my problem and he came outside, took a long screwdriver with a narrow tip, put it against the keyhole and gave it a pound with the palm of his hand. then he turned the screwdriver and it opened right up. so, it's probably just something good for keeping mischievious kids out at the most.

back when i was a kid, the 18 year old buddy next door got a new 1970 Mach I. it shook and rumbled even while sitting still, the way a muscle car should feel a nd sound, even if the performance couldn't compare to our beloved '13 GT500. it was off the chain. one night him and his buddy who had a new Road Runner went out stealing gas (oddly enough it used to be fairly common for people to steal gas by siphoning back when it was 30-something cents per gallon) but they didn't siphon it, they cut the lock off of a tank with a crank handle pump and filled both cars. ....problem was, it was diesel. don't know if i've ever heard anything dumber, but true story. sometimes the universe takes awhile to even the score, and sometimes karma is instant. if you're gonna be dumb, ya gotta be tough i guess. his first accident was within 9 days of getting the car and within 6 months, it was totalled with end-over-end flipping that left it about 3 feet tall. he did get tossed out of the door and only got scrapes and bruises while having to settle for a chevy vega after that. karma was measured in his case it seems. coulda been worse. i have to admit, most of the time being younger is the shit. but at least once in awhile, wisdom is better.

all in all, people have started stealing gas again and effective prevention is even better than karma in action. i'd like to know if there's a cap that's more secure.

nocobrafornow

Established Member
Yes. There are several caps available. Your Ford dealer should be able to get you one... Or check the Internet for a better deal.

8U5Z-9C268-B Mustang Ford Locking Gas Cap 2010-2013 | CJ Pony Parts

i got mine at the dealer the day i bought my 11GT, was about 22.00 with tax. may have gone up in price since as this was in Feb,11.
there is one good thing to know about the capless fill system, is that if someone is trying to put some thing inthe tank they have to have a funel or adapter the exact size as the hole in order to unlock theblocking plate.

Last edited:

Myfast70

Established Member
i got mine at the dealer the day i bought my 11GT, was about 22.00 with tax. may have gone up in price since as this was in Feb,11.
there is one good thing to know about the capless fill system, is that if someone is trying to put some thing inthe tank they have to have a funel or adapter the exact size as the hole in order to unlock theblocking plate.

I thought I read somewhere on the Ford website about the new filler system having some sort of security to it. I think Ford even provides a special adapter or funnel to fill it with a gas can.

megameGT500

Suck it up and drive on!!
Established Member
There are two tabs just outside the metal cover. They must be pressed simultaneously before the metal cover will be allowed to swing open.

Gas1.jpg

I thought I read somewhere on the Ford website about the new filler system having some sort of security to it. I think Ford even provides a special adapter or funnel to fill it with a gas can.

Users who are viewing this thread