LOL whoops...Steeda made a boo boo

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member

jacker1991

Established Member
I believe a few people, including myself said it was most likely B.S. Let's just wait for Ford to release #s, pretty sure we can all wait for them. :D

P.S. The lack of faith of some people in this forum is quite interesting though. Ford delivers the amazing 13-14 GT500s and the Coyote motor but people still think they are going to somehow magically ruin the car for this new platform. I don't really understand where the lack of confidence is coming from.../cry :(

Last edited:

ponyboyisaac

Now Kaioken...times 10!!
Established Member
Dumbass move on steeda's part. Why did they jump the gun like that if they didn't really know?!

Bob Cosby

Established Member
Lack of confidence is from past history of every generation's weight gain, and occasional Ford...uh...missteps (ala 99 Cobra). However, and for what its worth, I'd be totally fine eating crow, admitting I was wrong/fell for it, falling on my sword, whatever if Ford will just deliver a LIGHTER Mustang for 2015 vice a heavier one.

Agree with many of you....we just need to wait.

Established Member
Go to road and track if its true the Mustang GT Premium is 250 pounds heavier

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Road and track got info that leaked out that the GT gained between 170 and 250lbs depending on options

Last edited:

Clemson

Established Member
My lack of confidence came from seeing the actual design of the car. The weigh gain is just another nail in the coffin for me.

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
Ford delivers the amazing 13-14 GT500s and the Coyote motor but people still think they are going to somehow magically ruin the car for this new platform. I don't really understand where the lack of confidence is coming from.../cry :(

I don't believe the '13 gt500 is in the realm of "amazing" as far as cars go, the coyote motor is closer to "amazing" than the total package of the gt500 (1.5 hp/cui NA).

Clemson

Established Member
I don't believe the '13 gt500 is in the realm of "amazing" as far as cars go, the coyote motor is closer to "amazing" than the total package of the gt500 (1.5 hp/cui NA).

And what kind of power do you think Ford could get out of the 5.8 if they had decided to use it as an NA motor instead of strapping a blower to the top of it? Kind of a dumb statement.

Voltwings

Established Member
And what kind of power do you think Ford could get out of the 5.8 if they had decided to use it as an NA motor instead of strapping a blower to the top of it? Kind of a dumb statement.

Not much more if they keep the same 6250 RPM redline, the Coyote already has a 450 rpm advantage, assuming stock redline. The GT500 has the over rev feature, and the coyote can easily go to 7500 rpms, but for the sake of argument lets say 6250 vs 6700.

horsepower = (Torque x rpm) / 5252. The 5.8's 14% increase in displacement will give it a directly proportional 14% increase in torque. To achieve its 420 hp at 6700 rpms, the coyote is making ~330 ft/lbs of torque (these are all crank numbers mind you). So lets just say the 5.8's 14% advantage gives it 375 torque (assuming the heads are able to flow that much, since it is proven the coyote heads flow more, and the gt500 has no Ti-Vct), at 6250 rpms that gives us about 445 hp, or basically Boss numbers. Not really much more, and much less room for improvement if it cant rev higher.

You cant just say bigger engine is better, its all in how its built, the trinity was built around boost so it is what it is.

Last edited:

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member

Ah, but THAT was my point.

The coyote motor (1.5hp/cui NA) provides a better foundation IMO for producing a sports car than the 5.8L used in the gt500. As someone else pointed out greater displacement doesn’t equal a better engine…

As far as how much the 5.8L would produce NA that would start a silly hypothetical game of “what if” that could be played with the coyote as well.

What if the coyote was suddenly direct injected? What if the coyote suddenly had a flat crank and an 8,000 rpm redline?

The fact is the 5.8L in the gt500 needs 15psi to produce 662hp (coyotes need much less boost for the same crank hp)… that is not a marvel of mechanical engineering especially when mated to the rest of what makes the gt500.

Now what might be amazing would be if ford in 2016 produced a mustang in the 3,500 lb weight range with > boss handling and 550 hp out of a NA motor.

:shrug:

Clemson

Established Member
Now what might be amazing would be if ford in 2016 produced a mustang in the 3,500 lb weight range with > boss handling and 550 hp out of a NA motor.

:shrug:

Ford build a light weight mustang?!?!? Now youre just being silly! lol

jshen

Established Member
Leaks

I believe the truth of the Steeda story just as I believed Obama.....Ford in its secrecy..may have just allowed or even told Steeda to report that just to keep the "pot stirred" without Ford having to do anything. Steeda is a trusted source for Ford..and I don't think those fellas would "leak" anything without Ford approval.

I agree with the above...I'll just wait and see...

Users who are viewing this thread