Long Tube Headers?

97SVTStang

Established Member
Been looking to get some long tubes. I already know that are stangs love long tubes but my questions is what kinda sound can I expect from them. Will you be able to tell a difference in sound after I install them? I love loud and powerfull, let me know what they do.

Tequila612

Established Member
I have BBK Long tubes, o/r BBK H pipe, and 2 chamber flows and it sounds f'in sick.

I love it. I would recommend it to you. But is is VERY expensive if you don't do the install yourself.

Set aside around $1200.

97SVTStang

Established Member
Install isnt a problem. I am a mechanic and I work for Dodge so I have access to a lift and all the tools in my tool box. I am the only person who touches my car.

Scream'nCobra

Cobra:No Substitute
Established Member
Long tubes will give you a deeper growl and a lot more power. Idle will sound deeper and you will hear a huge difference all across the rpm range. With those 4.10 gears, you will pull really hard with longtubes. You planning on going with an x or h? o/r?

Tequila612

Established Member
At WOT it screams... sounds sick as hell.

The install is a BITCH though. On a DOHC Modular Cobra it is the worst thing in the world. (in my opinion)

raven69david

Blown & Cammed
Established Member
Originally posted by Tequila612
I have BBK Long tubes, o/r BBK H pipe, and 2 chamber flows and it sounds f'in sick.

I love it. I would recommend it to you. But is is VERY expensive if you don't do the install yourself.

Set aside around $1200.

I can vouch for that statement as i have the exact same setup....if you think they sound bad-ass at idle, wait till you go WOT!:bowdown:

saleen_4_me

I8A4RE
Established Member
The install is a BITCH though. On a DOHC Modular Cobra it is the worst thing in the world. (in my opinion) [/B][/QUOTE]

Ya install sucks, my friend did mine and he still says I owe him. Drop the K member and it goes a lot smoother.

Tequila612

Established Member
Also.. If you will need a clutch ANY time in the future.. go ahead and put a overkill clutch in. haha You do NOT want it going out on you unless you get Hooker headers.

I put my BBK's on and in less than 2 months my stock clutch is gone. I am going on literally nothing. LoL I don't even think their is a clutch in there right now. I have my Spec II sitting right here behind me, I am just holding off as long as possible. It is going to be EXPENSIVE. I will do damn near ANYTHING on my car, but NOT pull long tubes..

saleen_4_me

I8A4RE
Established Member
Originally posted by Tequila612
Also.. If you will need a clutch ANY time in the future.. go ahead and put a overkill clutch in. haha You do NOT want it going out on you unless you get Hooker headers.

I put my BBK's on and in less than 2 months my stock clutch is gone. I am going on literally nothing. LoL I don't even think their is a clutch in there right now. I have my Spec II sitting right here behind me, I am just holding off as long as possible. It is going to be EXPENSIVE. I will do damn near ANYTHING on my car, but NOT pull long tubes..

:( I'm in exactly the same situation you're in. I'm waiting to put the clutch in around spring when the car is on the road, Damn those BBK headers. I should shoot myself for not going with hooker.

98bcobra

Established Member
I am about put BBK L/Ts and BBK O/R h pipe on my 98 cobra and I think the total price is like 650 for parts then 300-350 for labor. Its going in tommorrow. The sound from people are telling me is gonna deeper and Louder then what the 40series sound like right now which I think will be Sick!

Last edited:

Tequila612

Established Member
Originally posted by 98bcobra
I am about put BBK L/Ts and BBK O/R h pipe on my 98 cobra and I think the total price is like 650 for parts then 300-350 for labor. Its going in tommorrow. The sound from people are telling me is gonna deeper and Louder then what the 40series sound like right now which I think will be Sick!

Just wait till you do your first pull up to redline and slam through the gears. It sounds so amazing. You will fall inlove.

I have found myself slamming through the gears just to hear the exhaust. :rockon:

5.4 speedster

Banned
I have a 95 with a 331 stroker and every other possible bolt on. I have mac unequal length headers on right now. I run a bassani x pipe with no cats and mac catback. How much power could I gain by going to longtubes??? Also, what would I have to do to my x pipe so that it would fit with longtubes???

SnkBit

Established Member
?
I'm in exactly the same situation you're in. I'm waiting to put the clutch in around spring when the car is on the road, Damn those BBK headers. I should shoot myself for not going with hooker.

Im wanting to get a set of long tubes for my 97 cobra also. whats the difference in the BBks and the Hookers besides price? Is there a difference in design and install?

97SVTStang

Established Member
Someone correct me if I am wrong, everyone says hooker cost so much more than the BBK's. But hooker full length headers sell for 480 from Summit, now thats not ceramic coated (i think the ceramic ones put u up in the 650 - 700 range). Now I belive that BBK ceramic coated headers sell for about 500 bills right? So whats going to be the big difference between ceramic and your regular chrome headers. I imagine heat is kept in better with the coated headers but is it really needed. Will I see less hp gain if I go with a non ceramic coated header. I dont care what they look like since our engine bays are so tight u cant see them anyway. I just want sound and more hp.

Also with the hooker headers the tranny will come out with the headers on and it wont come out if you have BBK's right. Why is there so much difference there. Which header is going to give me the sound I am lookin for and the hp gain, or r they all going to be about the same.

Scream'nCobra

Established Member
Get ceramic coated no matter what. They stay cooler and cooler means more hp. Also, they wont look like shit when you take them off, if that time ever comes. They will also keep your engine cooler. Hooker LT's arent that expensive, its the Kook's that are expensive ($650-700). You can find Hookers for much cheaper than that. Jot Hot coated BBK's sell for about $400, and that is better than just your regular ceramic coated.

Im not sure about the install, but taking the tranny out is easy. Putting it in is a little harder becuase its heavy as shit, but its only a 2-3 man job. I dont think you would have to take the tranny out for either, but im not sure. Either way, dont make your decision on that. Most of the LT's are going to give you the same performance, with a small difference in sound. Between the BBK' and Hooker's, i would personally get the Hookers because everyone has BBKs. Both are quality made pieces that will give you what you want.

Scream'nCobra

Established Member
Originally posted by 97SVTStang
Ya, what he said I am still tryin to find out the difference between the macs and BBk's besides the price.

Difference is quality. MAC's are not as easy to install, and many people have had exhaust leaks with them. They tend to warp once in a while.

As for BBK's and Hooker's, no real significant difference. Most everyone has BBK's. They are quality headers with proven performance, but Hooker's are damn good headers also. Do you want to be one like the rest, or be the leader of the pack? Go with Hookers.

Last edited:

SnkBit

Established Member
what makes the BBks harder to install that the Hookers? Im still confused - arent they the same size? and with such little room in there to begin with, what can be that much different in one from the other.

and being differnet isnt necessarily my thing, if it works just as good or better for a cheaper price, in this case, the BBks, then why go with the more expensive, the Hookers, when you are prolly just paying for the name more than anything?

I just want the best sound and the best performance combo for my Snake, just like everybody else. So, please keep on comin with the info.

Users who are viewing this thread