Long Tube Headers?

Tequila612

Established Member
BBK - Good header. Fits nice and tight. Easiest install out of the these 3 headers. You must pull the passanger side long tube to do tranny/clutch work. Just in general an awesome header. Very well recommended. (I run this header)

Hooker - Hard to install, kinda expensive. You don't have to pull the passanger side long tube to do tranny clutch work. Shop might charge you more b/c they are supposed to be a major pain in the ass to install.

Mac - Just stay away from. PURE sh!t. :nonono: They will warp your block and the header, hell I have read a hand full of cases that the engine blew after installing Mac's do to some stupid something or another.

Tequila612

Established Member
Originally posted by BlkSnake
what makes the BBks harder to install that the Hookers? Im still confused - arent they the same size? and with such little room in there to begin with, what can be that much different in one from the other.

and being differnet isnt necessarily my thing, if it works just as good or better for a cheaper price, in this case, the BBks, then why go with the more expensive, the Hookers, when you are prolly just paying for the name more than anything?

I just want the best sound and the best performance combo for my Snake, just like everybody else. So, please keep on comin with the info.

BBK's aren't harder to install than the Hookers. Hookers are much harder to intsall.

97SVTStang

Established Member
O/R X or H -pipe. I want loud, but I want loud and deep. I heard that the X-pipe kinda gives you a raspy sound. My buddy has one on his GT and I dont like the sound of it at all. But then again I have a 4V motor and I am going to have longtube headers so I doubt it will even sound close to his.

gmaine

Established Member
On a 4V '97 Cobra:

BBK LTs + H-pipe w/Catcos + Magnapacks = Rolling Thunder

BBK LTs are simply the best mod on my car. I replaced the tranny w/ a Spec III clutch at the same time. Once winter is over, it is back to ripping up the asphalt.

97SVTStang

Established Member
Well here is my potential setup:

BBK longtube headers, Off Road X-pipe, with single chamber 40 series original flowmasters with turndowns

That should give me a pretty nasty sounding stang, no?

98bcobra

Established Member
From what I have read you want H pipe with Chambered Mufflers (Flowmaster, ect..) and X pipes with Stright though mufflers (Magnas ect..) . I have heard that X pipe sound ok with certain mufflers only also. I like the deep muscle growl thats why I am going for BBK L/T , O/R Hpipe, 40 series Should be nice loud and Mean :rockon:

ogc

Established Member
What kind of power gains can I expect from LT's on my 97?

Also is it really that bad to get non coated headers? I was planning on getting non coated hookers just because they are alot cheaper but now it doesnt seem like such a good idea

98bcobra

Established Member
So will that o/r x-pipe give me that deep sound or should i stick with the 0/r h-pipe

It will give you more a Exotic Sound more then a deep sound. The deep sound comes from the H pipes.

98bcobra

Established Member
What kind of power gains can I expect from LT's on my 97?

I have seen Dynos that give 98 cobras 11rwhp with just a O/R hpipe. I would have to guy the Headers will add about the same if not a little more. It really depends on how your car reacts to the mods.

ogc

Established Member
Originally posted by 98bcobra
I have seen Dynos that give 98 cobras 11rwhp with just a O/R hpipe. I would have to guy the Headers will add about the same if not a little more. It really depends on how your car reacts to the mods.

Im hoping for around 20 at the wheels with a full exhaust but Im not sure If Im beeing to optimistic. Ive heard that the LT's will get a bolt on cobra into the 300 whp range though

1QIK-SNK

Established Member
I have a freind that has SHM long tube headers. They are also egual lengh at 36"
He has a borla cat back with XR-1 race mufflers and at wide open throttle this this sound like a nascar big time.
I do know the SHM headers are not cheap from what he tells me.
He 98 cobra is blown and he has 475 RWHP so that may be why it sounds so damn good.
If you have ever been to a track event with the SCMC you may have herd it. It also has been in MM&FF
& 5.0 mag. So im sure many of you all have seen it.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
i don't think LTs are worth the price. All the LTs i've seen installed on cobras hang WAY too low to the ground. If your car is lowerd in the least bit, you'll beat the hell out of the headers everytime you run over anything.

Also, in my mind, the price for the gain isn't all the great. I could spend 500$ on a rear end and tires and pick up the same amount of time at the track and the rear end would be better in the long run. But that is just me...maybe you just want the fuller sound, or the braggin rights of saying that you have LT headers. I don't know, but i honestly don't think its worht it on a NA engine.

If you had a blower or a turbo, then I'd say it would be worth while investment. But even then...I'd have to consider it.

97SVTStang

Established Member
Well if you had turbo you cant run LT's. And I am forced, in the form of nitrous though. Plus I aleady have a built rear end, slicks, and I use drag launch springs so LT's are the next step for me IMO.

NXGHOST

Established Member
Originally posted by Doug
i don't think LTs are worth the price. All the LTs i've seen installed on cobras hang WAY too low to the ground. If your car is lowerd in the least bit, you'll beat the hell out of the headers everytime you run over anything.

Also, in my mind, the price for the gain isn't all the great. I could spend 500$ on a rear end and tires and pick up the same amount of time at the track and the rear end would be better in the long run. But that is just me...maybe you just want the fuller sound, or the braggin rights of saying that you have LT headers. I don't know, but i honestly don't think its worht it on a NA engine.

If you had a blower or a turbo, then I'd say it would be worth while investment. But even then...I'd have to consider it.

Longtubes are the best HP gian bolt on for a DOHC PERIOD. There is no other bilton that will give 20+ proven HP. If you look at the trends you will see that most bolt on 96-98's are around 280-290 RWHP, Only the guys with longtubes pass 300RWHP.

Users who are viewing this thread