Long tube power gains?

bb97gt

Established Member
Wow lots of different opinions haha. Either way I cleaned out the garage and sold my old fuel system so I have no money out of pocket for the headers and I installed them myself (which was not as bad as everyone said it would be?), so didn't lose any on labor. So even if the gains are minimal, I will still be happy. I would think that at my current power level i would see a noticeable gain. I'm more concern with a more powerful horsepower curve than a pretty dyno sheet. However that's just me!

SlowSVT

Established Member
Wow lots of different opinions haha. Either way I cleaned out the garage and sold my old fuel system so I have no money out of pocket for the headers and I installed them myself (which was not as bad as everyone said it would be?), so didn't lose any on labor. So even if the gains are minimal, I will still be happy. I would think that at my current power level i would see a noticeable gain. I'm more concern with a more powerful horsepower curve than a pretty dyno sheet. However that's just me!

Any "opinion" expressed in this thread is meaningless and have nothing to do with the conversation. Actual results is what we were discussing.

This is where I start to loose it:

You sold your fuel system but you have no money for headers but you installed them yourself :dw: What does that mean? :shrug: Then you went on to say "gains will be minimal but you will still be happy" :??: No me, why go thru all the trouble and expense for little reward? BTW: headers can be a real hassle even after they have been installed :cuss:

Dyno sheets are a measurement of the amount of work being produced by the engine and are more then a “pretty piece of paper” but your "more concerned with powerful horsepower" (hah?). I admit dyno sheets aren’t everything but boy they are a nice thing to have to verify any improvement.

You should do a better job proof reading your posts as this one makes no sense.

As I stated at your current power levels headers are worth it. Hopefully you understand engines better then you communicate.

Last edited:

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
I'm with SlowSVT on this one - lots of opinions tossed around in this thread. They make for good discussion, but not in this thread. It's not helping much. Especially from those posting who have been here long enough that should have an idea of what to expect from long tubes by now.

OP, as stated, yes long tubes would be very beneficial for your set up. Your only mistake would be going with BBK long tubes (If you haven't already?? :shrug::??:). American Racing would be my choice but if you can't spend a lot go with Mac.

On my old Ported Eaton set up (2.76'' upper only), I gained 20RWHP with Mac long tubes. Yes, verified on the dyno with no other engine modifications. I have a dyno sheet as well. I also did not lose any boost as many other do with long tubes.

Something that isn't often discussed with long tubes is drivability. My throttle response crispened up nicely! At little or part throttle just cruising, and when giving it gas. I was surprised to feel that, especially since many people discuss loss in torque under the curve in exchange for top end power with long tubes. That certainly wasn't the case with me, or should be anyone with small 1 5/8'' primaries. Only on larger primary headers would that ever be the case. Long tubes do push the oxygen sensors back further away from the cylinders so the car does take a couple extra minutes (literally about two minutes) before the sensors are up-to-temp and the car runs with perfect drivability. On colder days, it is slower to respond to throttle. On warmer days I don't notice a thing. Hell I don't even notice on colder days anymore to be honest.

Hope this helps a bit.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

bb97gt

Established Member
Any "opinion" expressed in this thread is meaningless and have nothing to do with the conversation. Actual results is what we were discussing.

This is where I start to loose it:

You sold your fuel system but you have no money for headers but you installed them yourself :dw: What does that mean? :shrug: Then you went on to say "gains will be minimal but you will still be happy" :??: No me, why go thru all the trouble and expense for little reward? BTW: headers can be a real hassle even after they have been installed :cuss:

Dyno sheets are a measurement of the amount of work being produced by the engine and are more then a “pretty piece of paper” but your "more concerned with powerful horsepower" (hah?). I admit dyno sheets aren’t everything but boy they are a nice thing to have to verify any improvement.

You should do a better job proof reading your posts as this one makes no sense.

As I stated at your current power levels headers are worth it. Hopefully you understand engines better then you communicate.

It appears you pick and choose what you want to read sir. Let me try to make this easier for you to understand.... I sold my old fuel system, thus I had extra cash which I used to purchase the headers. I installed them myself, and so I do not have any money out of pocket into them. Because I do not have tons of cash and time into the set up I would be satisfied with even minor gains, I am more interested in seeing an increase in mid range power.

So maybe next time before you insult someone's intelligence, you should read the entire post before making asinine comments. But hey, if you want to look like a jerk that is on you! :beer:

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
It appears you pick and choose what you want to read sir. Let me try to make this easier for you to understand.... I sold my old fuel system, thus I had extra cash which I used to purchase the headers. I installed them myself, and so I do not have any money out of pocket into them. Because I do not have tons of cash and time into the set up I would be satisfied with even minor gains, I am more interested in seeing an increase in mid range power.

So maybe next time before you insult someone's intelligence, you should read the entire post before making asinine comments. But hey, if you want to look like a jerk that is on you! :beer:

"Jerk!" That's the nicest comment I have received on SVTP all week :rockon:

I read all your posts on this thread but only now I understand what you're getting at. You already bought and installed the headers :idea: You have to forgive me, I can be pretty clueless at times. Wouldn't it been easier just to have come out an say that in the beginning rather then all the googilly gook to avoid all the confusion which could have been summed up in 2 sentences? This is all "after the fact", had I known it's likely I would have sat this one out. Live and learn :nonono:

Anyhow, good call on the headers at your power levels. Inquiring about what your gains will be is like asking where Obama is planning his next vacation on Air Force One :shrug: I'm not very good at making predictions but base on my observations on this thread that can be anywhere between 5 - 45 hp only your dyno guy knows for sure.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
OP, post the before and after dyno sheet in this thread when you finally get it done.

I am expecting a 23.5 hp increase.:-D

Seriously though once these cars are at high 500s and up, they are going to make a good bit of difference, the more power over 600, the more improvement that long tubes will bring.

A 700 rwhp car should not be running logs at all. It can make that but they will be giving up a significant amount of power.

Yet your typical pullied Eaton car owner is probably going to be very disappointed with his gains.

Last edited:

z28Eater

Hemi's Worst Nightmare
Established Member
im debating about going with LTs on the cobra, i have them on my 06 GT and it really woke it up, but when i had them on my 02 GT it didnt seem to do much at all. good info in this thread, good discussion going on.

bb97gt

Established Member
OP, post the before and after dyno sheet in this thread when you finally get it done.

I am expecting a 23.5 hp increase.:-D

Seriously though once these cars are at high 500s and up, they are going to make a good bit of difference, the more power over 600, the more improvement that long tubes will bring.

A 700 rwhp car should not be running logs at all. It can make that but they will be giving up a significant amount of power.

Yet your typical pullied Eaton car owner is probably going to be very disappointed with his gains.

Will do, however I will be upping the boost a bit as well so I will not be able to show definitive results for the headers alone.

Last edited:

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
I will probably adding longtubes to my car sooner than later.

My biggest decision will be either ARH or Kooks and what size piping

Crackerballer

Oh baby!
Established Member
ARH. Email them, trust me. Nick will do whatever you want as far as a one off setup.

I am going a full 1 7/8 primary to 3" collector with 3" x-pipe and 3" exits to mate to a 3" catback. And if the catback I chose doesn't have 3" adapters, he said he can send some for my local shop to weld on so it will be a true 3" system all the way through with not bottle neck.

venom04svt

Established Member
I picked up just over 35rwhp when i went from stock manifolds and catted BBK x to BBK longtubes and offroad x. I lost a small amount of boost due to the engine being more efficient and a lil power down low but it came on and pulled hard from then on. This was on my old KB 2.2 setup. My whipple 3.4 crusher really shines being able to breath up top and my HP was still rising when my car hit its redline..

Users who are viewing this thread