Long tubes or equal length headers??

mysvtf150

00 Lightning
Established Member
I am looking into doing headers on my truck ive been told by a couple people to do equal length headers and then just to go with long tubes not sure which route to go?? Also wheres the best place to buy them and make?

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
From the FAQ sticky on this page:

8) Are headers worth it?

Yes and No:
For the money shorty headers are a waste of time all the way. Long tube equal length headers will only show real gains when you are pushing a lot of boost and have greatly modded your L. They sound awesome but are expensive for the dollar to hp you get.
A high flow two cat or no cat midpipe setup is much better for power when starting out. The stock manifolds are good up to around 500 RWHP, the only drawback is that a midpipe that bolts up to stock manifolds won't work unless modified when switching to L/T's so keep this in mind.

I personally have Long Tubes, with high-flow cats and it sounds awesome.

mysvtf150

00 Lightning
Established Member
I was considering doing headers becuase my passanger and driver side manifolds are leaking, the passanger side has already been fixed once so I wasn't sure what else I could do besides headers??

PhLoBuS

JDM/KB Lightning
Established Member
Long tubes all the way... I had stock manifolds, then Bassani shorty headers and my Kooks longtubes are the way to go. If you ever go built you will need longtubes anyways.

mysvtf150

00 Lightning
Established Member
I kno its leaking threw manifolds went to a local custom exhaust shop thats done alot of work for me and they told me the manifolds where leaking....so i cant stand the sound of a leaky exhaust so i just assumed i was going to have to invest in some headers weather or not there worth the moeny..........

jeffthagiraffe

Established Member
Go with the longtubes and some good makes are dynatech or kooks. There are a couple other good headers out there, those were just the first two that I thought of.

Last edited:

mysvtf150

00 Lightning
Established Member
I like the kooks setup.....with long tubes do most people take out there cats or leave them in because i got high flow cats right now........

jeffthagiraffe

Established Member
im about to see how loud it is...on my built engine ill be running dyna tech longtubes catless mids with magnaflow outback. im sure it will bring plenty of attention lol. it was fairly loud before with stock manifolds bassani catless mids and magnaflow.

mysvtf150

00 Lightning
Established Member
With the long tubes if i keep the cats i can just buy flanges to weld up to the cat back to bolt up to the headers?

Users who are viewing this thread