Longtube Experts .. Preferably Mac

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
I have been tossing the idea around of tackling a longtube install for a while... I was interested in Kooks but can't seem to come across any of their 1-5/8 lt's on sale in the market...

Well I refuse to spend $1,400 for them new (with Catted-X) .. so I have been looking into Mac's

So I have a few questions about Mac's...

1) Do Mac LT's sit higher up than Kooks? I seen somewhere on here that someone stated Kooks hang lower to the ground than Mac's, and that Mac's weren't as annoying when it comes to uneven roads and speedbumps

2) Lethal has two versions of the Mac's, Chrome Coated and Ceramic Coated. I am not that concerned with color fading as they are not even that visable, but I do want them to last. Are Ceramic's the better choice?

3) Can the transmission be removed with Mac LT's installed? I have read that one side has to be loosened for the tranny to slide out..

4) I will be tackling the install mostly myself (with extra hands at times).. and would like to take the extra time to remove the K-member. Is there a write up anywhere on a K-member uninstall. I want to make sure the headers go on right, and with less :bash:

All help/advice is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

keith89

Established Member
I have been tossing the idea around of tackling a longtube install for a while... I was interested in Kooks but can't seem to come across any of their 1-5/8 lt's on sale in the market...

Well I refuse to spend $1,400 for them new (with Catted-X) .. so I have been looking into Mac's

1) Do Mac LT's sit higher up than Kooks? I seen somewhere on here that someone stated Kooks hang lower to the ground than Mac's, and that Mac's weren't as annoying when it comes to uneven roads and speedbumps

2) Lethal has two versions of the Mac's, Chrome Coated and Ceramic Coated. I am not that concerned with color fading as they are not even that visable, but I do want them to last. Are Ceramic's the better choice?

3) Can the transmission be removed with Mac LT's installed? I have read that one side has to be loosened for the tranny to slide out..

4) I will be tackling the install mostly myself (with extra hands at times).. and would like to take the extra time to remove the K-member. Is there a write up anywhere on a K-member uninstall. I want to make sure the headers go on right, and with less :bash:

1. not sure how they compare to compare to Kooks but my ceramic macs tuck up pretty high. They have never scraped on anything at stock ride height.

2. I have ceramic coated. I figured the chrome may peel over time and the ceramic coating will help with the heat.

3. The tranny can be removed without touching the Mac headers.

sabotage

corn fed!!!!!!
Established Member
really easy to drop the kmember.....
1.get the car up in the air as high as possible.. if using a lift even better.
2.suport the engine from the top preferably with one of those harbor freight engine support 1000 Lb. Capacity Engine Support Bar
3.remove wheels
4.remove calipers
5.remove steering shaft bolt
6.remove the two big bolts on struts on each side
7.remove the eight k member bolts and down it goes
8.remove stater
9.remove hpipe
10.remove manifolds spray with wd40 prior to taking off the manifold studs be gentle(they snap real easy)
Hope that helps

mach1033

Established Member
I can answer the ground clearance with great certainty. I had my car lowered close to 3 inches with a coil over kit. Long story short I hit a manhole cover and destroyed my stock k member. My macs didn't have a scratch on them. My x pipe was from lethal.

GodStang

Established Member
There are two versions of kooks headers and the second version do not hang as low. As far as cost you for sure get what you pay for. I have had Mac on at least 4 mustangs and they are for the most part crap. The only reason I have ever run them is I got them for free.

keith89

Established Member
There are two versions of kooks headers and the second version do not hang as low. As far as cost you for sure get what you pay for. I have had Mac on at least 4 mustangs and they are for the most part crap. The only reason I have ever run them is I got them for free.

There are plenty of 03-04 cobra guys running Mac long tubes with no issues. I have no problems. No leaks either.

Last edited:

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member
I loved my macs when I had them. Definitely go with the ceramic since the chrome will flake and begin to rust much quicker. They tuck up nicely as well, never had an issue with them on a lowered car. Mac FTW!!

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member

1. no issues with clearance at all
2. I got mine uncoated, they have surface rust, but i am getting them coated
3. Yes, no issues whatsoever
4. I put mine in with the K member installed (tubulAR)

gabe1530

Banned
pretty much the same as broke7 here.
1. no issues with clearance at all
2. I got mine coated. look great.
3. Yes, no issues whatsoever
4. I put mine in with the stock K member.
5. yes you can remove the tranny without touching the headers.

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
Here you go, this picture is from 2007 when I installed them.

DSC00497.jpg

Anabolic

Banned
yeah iv got polished mac Lt, fit nicely... easy install. jack motor up a few inchecs and take the motor mounts out to get to the lower bolts... install is definatly a pain in the ass but i heard cooks have problems with vibrations and leaks.. my LTs don't leak at ALL and you can definatly feel the power..

gibsonboy3000

Established Member
get ceramic coated long tubes, they reduce the heat noticeably... I've never scrapped anything and my car is dropped pretty low, fitment is good, just the passenger side touches the starter a little but hasn't caused any issues... and plus the sound is just gorgeous :)

blksvtCOBRA714

Established Member
1. Better clearance than kooks. Haven't had much of an issue scraping.
2. Ceramic Coated is the way to go. Longer durability.
3. Pretty sure you can remove the transmission w/o removing the Mac long tubes
4. Can't attest to the install but there are plenty of right ups.

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
Thanks for all the info guys ... i am def feeling good about purchasing the ceramic mac's .. i am nervous about tackling the job but i managed to get through an entire irs/sra swap and whipple install

What header gaskets did you guys use? I heard the OEM's are the best... i assume i could contact Tousley for those...

Also what about header bolts? Did you use the stock ones or upgrade with aftermarket?

And I'm sure this is a good time to replace the motor mounts with another set of OEM's?

Last edited:

Phil'scobra

Established Member
Here are some pics of mine, I just put these on over the last few months. Dont let the time worry you to much, I did it a little each weekend and then not at all.

http://[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/31/headerinstall004.jpg/]
headerinstall004.th.jpg
[/URL]

http://[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/811/headerinstall003.jpg/]
headerinstall003.th.jpg
[/URL]

http://[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/843/headerinstall001.jpg/]
headerinstall001.th.jpg
[/URL]

You can see that there is plenty of room to remove the trans, and the headers dont hang to low, Now my X pipe is another story.

Last edited:

Phil'scobra

Established Member
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/701/headerinstall004.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Well for some reason my pics are not working.

Lets see if I can get them bigger

http://[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/192/headerinstall004.jpg/]
headerinstall004.th.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
I'm running an O/R ProChamber Mid pipe with stock manifolds. Will Mac Long Tubes bolt right up to my midpipe or do I have to have a midpipe made to fit long tubes? How much $$ for Mac LTs? Where to buy?

TerminatorSVT03

Established Member
My Mac longtubes went on really smoothly and have had them for months now no complaints here spend the 400 for the Mac longtubes and save the rest for a whipped or kb haha Mac ftw

Users who are viewing this thread