Longtube header comparison

sn8kbite

Established Member
I will be ordering some new longtubes next week and would like some input as to what experience others may have had with the following headers,including...

problems installing?
bolts difficult to reach?
rusting?
poor craftsmanship?
leaking?
rub on steering shaft?
rub anywhere else?
to low to the ground?

Headers i am considering at this point.

SHM stainless longtubes
SHM stainless midlengths
SLP stainless longtubes
QMP stainless longtubes

Any input would be greatly appreciated,these things are expensive and i dont want another set of throw aways.

69cobrajet

333 Half Evil
Established Member
I have bassani mids.They have no leaks and fit nicely.I saw where some people on this forum had problems with leaks. If installed correctly they are as good as any.

SlowSVT

Established Member
I've heard guys say that they where rather disappointed by the lack of power made by adding headers. One guy said it only added 5 hp on the dyno and that he regretted going through all the expense and trouble of installing headers. You would think this would not be the case.

Can anybody elaborate on this? I'm interested in what difference in what people actually measured on a dyno by adding headers and what their "butt-O-meter" tells them (any numbers?). Thanks

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
Originally posted by SlowSVT
I've heard guys say that they where rather disappointed by the lack of power made by adding headers. One guy said it only added 5 hp on the dyno and that he regretted going through all the expense and trouble of installing headers. You would think this would not be the case.

Can anybody elaborate on this? I'm interested in what difference in what people actually measured on a dyno by adding headers and what their "butt-O-meter" tells them (any numbers?). Thanks
peak to peak headers will get you none to minimal gains...throughout the graph(where it counts) you will see 20+ ft. lbs. and 10 hp.

sn8kbite

Established Member
I had kooks longtubes on it when it was barely modified,they rusted within 2 months.I know they make them stainless now however after my experience with the primary dealer of these headers,i wont own another set.
As far as power increase i beleave the numbers are way higher than 10 HP,i took my car out and drove it after the headers were installed and the difference was definately seat of the pants.
My engine now has stage 3 blower cams,new heads,whipple charger,single blade TB,ect...
so i know the headers will be worth the money.
Anyone try QMP or SLP ?
If above said company would cut me a price on the kooks in stainless steel i would possibly try another set and form a second opinion based on their performance,but when i called them originally they werent really to concerned about my satisfaction with the product,enough said on that issue.

Last edited:

sir-blah

Established Member
I noticed no real peak gains from mine, but before the peak there are some gains. Not totally worth the cost as far as power, but I don't regret doing it. Mine are the Kooks, and I haven't had any rust issues, but I live in AZ.

One more thing... I like the sound they added.

69cobrajet

333 Half Evil
Established Member
I got 23rwhp & 20rwtq from mine.I believe the more mods you have the better the results.

sn8kbite

Established Member
Heres whats left that i am considering.The works headers look like very nice pieces but i will have to see what they offer as far as 3" H or X pipes to mate with them before making a final choice.By the way anyone else notic eall the wild and crazy bends in the kooks headers?Whats that all about,the others are all very sleek and compact in design and the KOOKs are all over the place,kind of a messy looking affair.
attachment.php

Last edited:

Narcosynthesis

Knees in the Breeze!
Established Member
I had QMP headers on my camaro SS. Real quality piece.

edit: They were QTP headers, my mistake. Not QMP.

Last edited:

2K3BRA

Established Member
If I had to pick one I would pick Bassani Mid-Lengths, I loved the way they sounded on that clip that Blade made of his car!

sn8kbite

Established Member
They are mild steel though.For the price i would rather spend an extra 200 for a pair of stainless steel headers that last forever.

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by sn8kbite
I had kooks longtubes on it when it was barely modified,they rusted within 2 months.

:??: Hmmm I installed mine in Oct '02 and the only problem I ever had was a blown gasket b/c I didn't torque 1 bolt enough.

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by sn8kbite
By the way anyone else notice all the wild and crazy bends in the kooks headers?Whats that all about,the others are all very sleek and compact in design and the KOOKs are all over the place,kind of a messy looking affair.

It has to do with allowing the exhaust gasses to reach the collecter at the same time and achieving the proper backpressure. Also they accomidate the steering input shaft and starter. Lastly they will install easily without remoing the K-member or hoisting the engine which the other LT brands will require.

blown01cobra

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
Originally posted by SoCalBlk03
It has to do with allowing the exhaust gasses to reach the collecter at the same time and achieving the proper backpressure. Also they accomidate the steering input shaft and starter. Lastly they will install easily without remoing the K-member or hoisting the engine which the other LT brands will require.

How do you go about installing them with out removing the k-member. what are the steps and is there a easy route for doing this.

Users who are viewing this thread