Look what my Canton did on a 100 degree day

Speed Demon

Established Member
Sucks that happened but at least you weren't on the highway or worse on the track! Just a suggestion but you might want to make sure your intercooler pump is working. Usually if its building that much pressure it's because the intercooler pump isn't working.:beer:

You do realize that it is a coolant reservoir right? Not an oil pan...

There have been no Canton oil pan failures and there won't be, they aren't pressurized like the coolant reservoir and they're steel, not aluminum...

Canton does make an aluminum oil pan also. I have one on my car

keith89

Established Member
Probably in 04 or early 05.
Talked to Tech this am and they said that the cobras have a surge problem but there were going to fix it for free or replace.
Only thing I really paid attention to was fix for free or replace.
Got the stocker in now so no pronlems with it for now.

Ok. I got mine last year so hopefully I got a revised one that won't explode at the welds. All the failures I've seen are at the same location.

chopps

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Established Member
speed demon

Sucks that happened but at least you weren't on the highway or worse on the track! Just a suggestion but you might want to make sure your intercooler pump is working. Usually if its building that much pressure it's because the intercooler pump isn't working. FPRIVATE "TYPE=PICT;ALT="

Yeah higway might have been bad but as far as track, No Way mine has never seen one and probably won't.
The intercooler pump is working after having to break open one system and floor was wet mine as well open other and verify :)

chopps

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Established Member
Talked to Canton today 7/02/09 and they have not even touched it or done anything as of yet.
The lady said I am at the mercy of the shop and hell this should be in front of the line considering it broke because of the crappy welds so I think I will leave the stocker on it and sell the Canton considering they really don't care.
If I did buisness the way they do buisness,
I would be out of buisness.
I would rather deal with the dealership than Canton , and thats really sad that they can't even take care of customers whom they already took the buck from there to interested in there sales on new ones and screw the old ones already sold even if they burst.
LOL
Canton sucks!

chopps

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Established Member
Couldnt imagine if that happened while gong down the track

No Doubt !!

Canton could care less about us or there faulty product.
They keep saying its the motor that cause blow back and made the expansion tank explode and say they have never seen this before .
I beg to differ and good thing I had my stock tank still.
LOL

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
No Doubt !!

Canton could care less about us or there faulty product.
They keep saying its the motor that cause blow back and made the expansion tank explode and say they have never seen this before .
I beg to differ and good thing I had my stock tank still.
LOL

That's total bullshit. That means that their welds cannot withstand pressure in excess of 16 psi (I believe that's the cap rating) through the vented cap.
Ask them that one.

Blk04Snake

Established Member
Wow, that's nonsense. That's a faulty weld. If the weld was good, it would just expand/deform the tank somewhere on the flat sheet aluminum instead of busting the weld open.

I'll try to remember to never buy anything from this company.

chopps

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Established Member
Mine cracked at the same spot as yours last week :nonono:

Call them and raise hell like I did.
Crappy welds could cost us our vechiles engines and they should do a better job or atleast replace it !!

Last edited:

chopps

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Established Member
update 06/07/09,
Shop foreman said he does not have time to stop and fix it and that they will get to it when they have time.

I told them send it back ASAP today and I will post my crappy experiance with canton on the forums I frequent.

They said shop is to busy with fresh paying customers and did not have time to waste on money already spent with them for cracked defective products they sell.

Oh well another crappy canton product.

Last edited:

vr4

Established Member
usual aluminum failure. i see IC end tanks and intake plenums blow all the time at welds (high boost applications and 90* aluminum welds). its a stress point and even a good weld will eventually fail exactly how this tank did.

we eventually solved it on a buddys intercooler with 90* angle aluminum over the joint and welded all the way around. ugly but effective.

chopps

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Established Member
holly shit! i havent seen that one yet till now...they better be sending you a new one

Nope there trying to send me a blim/2nd one that is not as polished and has been sitting in the upstairs for years now .

Told them send it back as is , not going to let them dictate to me when its there fault/problem and don't feel like hasseling with it either.
Heck there are alot of thing I hate to hassle with but that is buisness !!

There not worried about the buck they have already collected, there main concern is the buck there getting today !!

usual aluminum failure. i see IC end tanks and intake plenums blow all the time at welds (high boost applications and 90* aluminum welds). its a stress point and even a good weld will eventually fail exactly how this tank did.

we eventually solved it on a buddys intercooler with 90* angle aluminum over the joint and welded all the way around. ugly but effective.

I am low boost at 17lbs.
If the welds were done properly , there is no failure.
I have a fab shop and we do stainless and good welds don't fail :)

Last edited:

SLEEPERSTATUS

Banned
Nope there trying to send me a blim/2nd one that is not as polished and has been sitting in the upstairs for years now .

Told them send it back as is , not going to let them dictate to me when its there fault/problem and don't feel like hasseling with it either.
Heck there are alot of thing I hate to hassle with but that is buisness !!

There not worried about the buck they have already collected, there main concern is the buck there getting today !!

I am low boost at 17lbs.

thats nutz good luck and hopfully you get it figured out:beer:

vr4

Established Member
I am low boost at 17lbs.

true. good steel welds are just as strong, if not stronger, than the base material.

the problem here is metal fatigue in that aluminum tank (your boost pressure is irrelevant. i was just making a point). the stresses form repeated pressurization of the coolant tank concentrated at the 90* weld joint and eventually fractured. granted it doesnt help that there didnt appear to be great penetration to begin with;-)

sorry canton is being a douche to work with. sounds like they need to revisit business 101

Finite Element Analysis engineering - Stress Concentration in Aluminum T-Joints

chopps

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Established Member
true. good steel welds are just as strong, if not stronger, than the base material.

the problem here is metal fatigue in that aluminum tank (your boost pressure is irrelevant. i was just making a point). the stresses form repeated pressurization of the coolant tank concentrated at the 90* weld joint and eventually fractured. granted it doesnt help that there didnt appear to be great penetration to begin with;-)

sorry canton is being a douche to work with. sounds like they need to revisit business 101

Finite Element Analysis engineering - Stress Concentration in Aluminum T-Joints

agreed sir.

thats nutz good luck and hopfully you get it figured out:beer:

Already did,
put a stock ABS one from ford back on it.

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
Sucks that happened but at least you weren't on the highway or worse on the track! Just a suggestion but you might want to make sure your intercooler pump is working. Usually if its building that much pressure it's because the intercooler pump isn't working.:beer:

Canton does make an aluminum oil pan also. I have one on my car

There was a pan failure, but it wasn't the pans fault. Over on ModFords someone posted up a picture of their engine carnage. They were running wide open in sixth for miles and blew up a piston BIG TIME! The entire center of the piston just vanished, and all the burning mixture blew out the bottom of the pan. Engine was totally destroyed and all the oil went directly under the rear tires. Can you say poor traction?

Users who are viewing this thread