Looking at a 2006 Volvo S60. Anyone with experience? Need input.

PoohBear

I am the Red Cyclone
Established Member
I'm looking at a 2006 Volvo S60. This one in particular. http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/5190622077.html

I don't know much about Volvos other than they have a great crash rating. Anyone have any experience with Volvos, this model in particular? I'm driving about 40 miles a day from school and work and am looking for something reliable and with decent to good gas milage. Should I stay clear from Volvo and look elsewhere or is this a good buy? Thanks.

PoohBear

I am the Red Cyclone
Established Member
Any reason why? transmission issues, computer issues, oil leaks? Just wondering.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Oil leaks, throttle bodies and turbos are the big three we see on these.

PoohBear

I am the Red Cyclone
Established Member
Thanks for the quick replys. I'm going to try and check it out over the weekend. The car looks immaculate in the pictures, but the seller has it as under "good" condition.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
They are known for turbo seals, PCV issues(oil consumption) and if its awd the PTU unit from Haldex.

A friend owns an S60R and its been dead reliable. I was quite surprised.

If you do buy, check out IPD for some minor upgrades. They also have some fixes for the common problems.
http://www.ipdusa.com/

RX1Cobra

Established Member
My mom had a c70 vert (05 maybe) that she bought new. Just got rid of it like two years ago. It was a fairly reliable car. As mentioned above we never cleaned the PCV setup and it started to leak oil. Think the PCV screen got clogged and blew out a gasket somewhere.

Her trans started to shift real hard at about 120K (never changed fluid) and I had to change the solenoids (300 bucks) and fluid after that it shifted normal again. Biggest problem is the stupid security chip in the key always broke. Had it fixed like 6 times and even after that you'd have to take the key in and out for it start. All in all it wasn't a horrible car but not a great one either.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
My mother has had two S60's of that platform now. She still has her 2007. The first one saved her life in a head on crash, the second one now has about 130,000 on it.

Mechanically, the car has been pretty good for her, but it does drive like a car with 130,000 on the clock. The lights on the radio have burned out, the heater motor squeaks pretty terribly when on and the radiator has a small leak.

So while the car has been fairly good, it's certainly not perfect.

One thing I personally don't like about these cars is the feedback while driving. There isn't any. As a result in inclement weather especially, you can't really tell what the tires are doing and it's not really confidence inspiring. AWD models tend to go through tires and have a rather poor turning radius.

As mentioned above, throttle bodies and turbo's are a concern, however my mother's car hasn't showed any signs of those items being a problem.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member

Any reason why? transmission issues, computer issues, oil leaks? Just wondering.

This is why.
I don't know much about Volvos...
You're in school and working. Buying a car that is not a hallmark of reliability and one that takes extra know how and/or money to maintain and repair would be asking for future headaches and distractions while you should be focused on more important things.

My mother has had two S60's of that platform now. She still has her 2007. The first one saved her life in a head on crash, the second one now has about 130,000 on it.

Mechanically, the car has been pretty good for her, but it does drive like a car with 130,000 on the clock. The lights on the radio have burned out, the heater motor squeaks pretty terribly when on and the radiator has a small leak.

This doesn't sound like what I'd expect from a decently made 8 year old 130k car.

Lipton_Kermit.png

nxhappy

Established Member
that thing will be expensive to fix. Plus you have the turbo to worry about. If you want good MPG and reliability, get a Honda accord or a Toyota camry.

PoohBear

I am the Red Cyclone
Established Member
Thanks for the info. and advice. At the moment with school, I don't want to worry about the car breaking down on me and having to throw money into it. Thanks again.

PoohBear

I am the Red Cyclone
Established Member
Initially those are the make/models that i had been looking at. Just thought I would look at something different.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Unfortunately, being different usually costs a pretty penny in the long run.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
I ran an Accord around through college while working. I bought it with 190,000 miles. I drove it about 25-30,000 miles a year for the 5 years I was in college. Even when that car was broken, which was almost never, it was still drive-able. I still have it, getting up there. Almost 400k.

PoohBear

I am the Red Cyclone
Established Member
I've had bad experience with Nissan. I'm a bit hesitant about purchasing another one. Thanks though.

Users who are viewing this thread