Looking at a high mileage Terminator need your opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMR Tech

Just food for thought, my 114K mile '04 Cobra - has a stock engine and a stock IRS.

It makes well over 700rwhp and 750rwptq.....and went 10.1@142 a few weeks ago. ;)

8gtoklr

Established Member
I have a 123K on mine. I bought at 117k. BUT all the drivetrain was replaced at 98k. Bid the 13,500 and just do a little at a time on maintenance.

The interior looks clean thats a +
The 3rd brake light looks intact thats a 230.00 +
If compression test comes out lower than you like start shaving your bid, if its normal
than another +
Brakes are cheap for these cars another +

It comes down to whether you can afford the car and the maintenance that comes along. And if its a good solid car don't let mileage deter you away

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
That car is a REAL early one off the line: 6/19/02. It also apparently still needs the accelerator plate recall done - hard to believe it wasn't accomplished after all those miles. Then again, maybe the owner did it himself or it was never entered in to the system.

It is hanging in there after all those miles, but it may also have some of the first heads if it matters to you. Plenty to read here on that:

Castings

Last edited:

highcompression

...who ?
Established Member
Mileage means nothing compared to how it was treated (driven and maintained). Mine has 107k and I'd put it next to anyone's 30-40k mile one. Utterly spotless in every way, drivers seat is like new (no joke), not as much as a single stone chip also. I have many friends with 20-40k mile 03-04's, mine is as nice if not nicer. It's a 3/4 owner car (mostly woman owned). No leaks, smoke, excellent oil psi, compression/leak-down results. Car just pounded out numbers in sig with just a 2.8" upper and a few other bolt on's. Getting ready to install a Posi and expecting 500+. Videos to come .....

highcompression

...who ?
Established Member
My engine build date is 1/03 ..... So I assume I have the "2nd revision" heads. I did do the cooling mod (for peace of mind). I am careful in the summertime heat with it, and give it some mercy on the back to back stuff.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
My engine build date is 1/03 ..... So I assume I have the "2nd revision" heads. I did do the cooling mod (for peace of mind). I am careful in the summertime heat with it, and give it some mercy on the back to back stuff.

You know what has been always said about "assuming"...

Go look at the casting number on the heads, it's the only way you'll know. All the info is in that link.

Jensanity

Established Member
Bought mine at 92K up to 99K now. Doesn't burn oil, smoke, etc. Running Mobil 1 extended performance, and as long as I stay regular with that I don't see any reason this car won't last a long time. Ported and pullied with CAI and longtubes if anyone is wondering. Port is a posi style (was on car when I bought it) so more than likely around 500rwhp with an aggressive 2.76/6# combo. Lots of police cars had the 2V version of the 4.6 and those things see high miles and take a beating. Not sure why the 4V would be any different. Yes there's obviously higher power, but it's built for that. If you're happy with the car, and a compression and or leakdown turn out ok then I say but it, and don't look back.

amoosenamedhank

Established Member
Bought mine at 92K up to 99K now. Doesn't burn oil, smoke, etc. Running Mobil 1 extended performance, and as long as I stay regular with that I don't see any reason this car won't last a long time. Ported and pullied with CAI and longtubes if anyone is wondering. Port is a posi style (was on car when I bought it) so more than likely around 500rwhp with an aggressive 2.76/6# combo. Lots of police cars had the 2V version of the 4.6 and those things see high miles and take a beating. Not sure why the 4V would be any different. Yes there's obviously higher power, but it's built for that. If you're happy with the car, and a compression and or leakdown turn out ok then I say but it, and don't look back.

After the police are done with them... usually they're on the road for another 200k as a taxi.

TRMI8TR

TRMIN8TR
Established Member
I believe that's the same car I went to check out for someone else here on SVTP, which I recomended NOT getting. When I started the engine there was a loud ticking noise coming from the engine that lasted for about 8 seconds and then it went away. Couple scratches trough out the body. High mileage. I would say keep saving for a better one.

ROUSHS2

Fist Pumping Your Mom
Established Member
I believe that's the same car I went to check out for someone else here on SVTP, which I recomended NOT getting. When I started the engine there was a loud ticking noise coming from the engine that lasted for about 8 seconds and then it went away. Couple scratches trough out the body. High mileage. I would say keep saving for a better one.

Yup exactly same thing I noticed I told the guy something doesn't sound right. Also he was trying to talk me out of taking it to my mechanic I immediately walked.

TRMI8TR

TRMIN8TR
Established Member
Yup exactly same thing I noticed I told the guy something doesn't sound right. Also he was trying to talk me out of taking it to my mechanic I immediately walked.

Yeah not a good sign. You should've done the Pauly D. on him lol

highcompression

...who ?
Established Member
Figure these cars ARE indeed getting OLD now. Hard to believe, but value is slowly slipping (but still very solid market) .... many, many out there with or around 100k now. They're simply not a member on SVTP. Remember, (rough estimate) they made 7-9k of these cars in 03-04 .... That means only about "maybe" 5-10% are member on here. The rest: driven normally by normal people or enthusiast that don't participate in the boards. The older I get the more I'm running across people like this.

These are awesome cars, I wanted one for years until I could bring myself to pay xx,xxx for a 8 year old cobra at the time. Unfortunately, with age .... Quite a few have slipped into the wrong hands, totaled, high miles (DD's), etc. it's becoming the norm to find them with 60-110k anymore. Technically, that's normal mileage for age, especially if the car is in a year round climate. Look at dealers, small car lots, craigslist, friends of friends, etc ..... they're all over with higher, some un-cared for, mileage. Some are mind blowing condition like mine (if odo didn't read 100k, it would be a 22-24k car, easy).

This can be a hard pill to swallow for some, especially the people who bought new, or paid top dollar 5-6 years ago. It's the natural life cycle of a automobile. These cars will always be desirable and retain value. However, above mileage .... I look for a mature owned car, mileage is non issue. I have buddies with 30k and been through 3/4 engines ..... Whereas ones like mine have been cared for and non abused it's whole life on healthy original drivetrain.

..... You get my point. Use your ears, look at details, things like compression and oil psi tests will give you a real good idea how car was treated. I still say how the car was treated then the number on the cluster.

Last edited:

Jensanity

Established Member
From what I've read that 8 second or so knock is quite common with these motors. It has to do with the clearance between the pistons and the cylinder walls. Some people call is "piston slap," and it doesn't seem to mean anything is wrong as far as I know.

DrakeSnake

Semper Fi
Established Member
I would get it checked like was said by some of the other posts. I got my car with 93000 for 17000 but it had a shit ton of mods around the price I paid and I checked the car out big time. For that car I think u should pay 12000 if it checks out. Good luck just my opinion. But it's a blank slate with a lot of options and the first thing I would do would be rebuild the motor and turn her into a beast. Good luck

asierra1

Established Member
My 03 has nearly 130k on the clock and runs just like new. I didn't hesitate to throw a tvs and other mods at it. The drivetrain in these cars is a lot more durable than people think. That car is bone stock. There's no reason not to low ball the owner and try to pick it up.

Btw. My lightning had 183k on it, and runs like the day it was new. Proper Maintenance and driving style are massive contributors to longevity of these cars.

b_dike

Established Member
From what I've read that 8 second or so knock is quite common with these motors. It has to do with the clearance between the pistons and the cylinder walls. Some people call is "piston slap," and it doesn't seem to mean anything is wrong as far as I know.

With the extremely tight piston to wall clearance on these cars, I find it hard to believe that piston slap is the cause of the sound the op was hearing. The piston or the bore would have to be seriously deformed for that to happen, and to only last a few seconds... no way it's piston slap. More likely a valve train issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread