looking at cheap termi on craigslist

stewarts2008

Established Member
So i found a termi on craigslist and just wanted some input.
2004 Cobra SVT ford mustang

It DOES have 107k miles on it, but this will be a legit project car and I will eventually put an aluminator in it, so im not too worried about that. It has a few goodies, but im in a 14 v6 now and just want to start looking around. Any thoughts?

cj428mach

Established Member
What are you looking for? The mods are nice but I think I'd spend a little more and get a lower mileage car.

bigmoose

Established Member
over priced to me. My last cobra was an '03 vert that had 99k when i bought it for 12k. Similar condition and add ons.

stewarts2008

Established Member
What are you looking for? The mods are nice but I think I'd spend a little more and get a lower mileage car.

well right now im just looking for a weekend car with a future. I have looked around for a lower mileage car, but this being a weekend/wrench turner car, i would almost rather spend less and have something to work on here and there.... if that makes any sense at all. So i could see myself driving this until the block pops, then swapping motors..... it says tranny was just just built, so i should be ok there....

halemach1

Established Member
The SRA prolly means it's been down the 1320 more than a few times, prolly why the trans needed to be rebuilt also. Those miles and those mods would worry me a little. If he would come down a grand or two it might not be a bad deal tho.

Just my opinion.

mach1033

Established Member
I would def go check it out. Paint looks great. all the bad things he listed is not a big deal. Compression test it and listen for any out of the ordinary noises. Price seems legit for the sole reason of the paint job. Get receipts for all work done. Good luck :beer:

cj428mach

Established Member
well right now im just looking for a weekend car with a future. I have looked around for a lower mileage car, but this being a weekend/wrench turner car, i would almost rather spend less and have something to work on here and there.... if that makes any sense at all. So i could see myself driving this until the block pops, then swapping motors..... it says tranny was just just built, so i should be ok there....

I went the opposite route. I had a car with 80k and it was nice with no issues but I had originally planned on keeping it for years and years. Then I kept thinking to myself if I keep this car I'm going to have to rebuild or replace everything someday. I sold that car and bought my new car with 75,000 less miles for a $8,000 difference.

I figured a new reman cobra motor would cost me close to 5-6k by the the time I had it to me and installed it myself. Then rebuild suspension, new IRS bushings, go through the transmission, repaint the chipped front bumper, I'd be well over the price of a lower mileage car not including my labor.

These cars are tough and can last a damn long time, but I wouldn't buy a fixer upper unless its a track car. If you want something nice just buy a nice one it will be cheaper in the long run.

Oh and I think that car is a little over priced. I'd much rather have a car that was taken care of with original paint than one that's been repainted.

Last edited:

amoosenamedhank

Established Member
I went the opposite route. I had a car with 80k and it was nice with no issues but I had originally planned on keeping it for years and years. Then I kept thinking to myself if I keep this car I'm going to have to rebuild or replace everything someday. I sold that car for and bought my new car with 75,000 less miles for a $8,000 difference.

I figured a new reman cobra motor would cost me close to 5-6k by the the time I had it to me and installed it myself. Then rebuild suspension, new IRS bushings, go through the transmission, repaint the chipped front bumper, I'd be well over the price of a lower mileage car not including my labor.

These cars are tough and can last a damn long time, but I wouldn't buy a fixer upper unless its a track car. If you want something nice just buy a nice one it will be cheaper in the long run.

Oh and I think that car is a little over priced. I'd much rather have a car that was taken care of with original paint than one that's been repainted.

It's not all about the destination... the fun is in the journey.

Not everyone is looking for a low mileage, needs nothing car. Most people have every intention of replacing the items you listed anyways. Why spend $8k more, if you're planning on modding the car anyways?

cj428mach

Established Member
It's not all about the destination... the fun is in the journey.

Not everyone is looking for a low mileage, needs nothing car. Most people have every intention of replacing the items you listed anyways. Why spend $8k more, if you're planning on modding the car anyways?

If people do then more power too them, but if you're thinking about a fixer upper then you'll probably have more than ponying up the money up front. I think the pricing in used terminators is a bit abnormal compared to most cars. It seems like for not too much more a person can buy a car with a lot less miles than this one for not a whole lot more money. I think he could easily get a car with half the mileage for $2-3k more. Hell I think that Montana guy bought his car with 10,000miles on it for only $19,000ish.

I look at it that most of the parts on a terminator will fulfill my needs. Take a stock terminator very minor mods and you're pushing 600rwhp, with a fuel system upgrade you can push 700rwhp with out replacing or upgrading any of the parts I listed (maybe a 26 spline input shaft). Also if you're picky there are a lot of wear items that will nickel and dime you to death. Do you like nice seat covers $500-1000 for the stuff installed, carpet, etc, etc.... Its not about the "fun of the journey" its about spending more upfront to save more on the backend.

Last edited:

amoosenamedhank

Established Member
If people do then more power too them, but if you're thinking about a fixer upper then you'll probably have more than ponying up the money up front. I think the pricing in used terminators is a bit abnormal compared to most cars. It seems like for not too much more a person can buy a car with a lot less miles than this one for not a whole lot more money. I think he could easily get a car with half the mileage for $2-3k more. Hell I think that Montana guy bought his car with 10,000miles on it for only $19,000ish.

I look at it that most of the parts on a terminator will fulfill my needs. Take a stock terminator very minor mods and you're pushing 600rwhp, with a fuel system upgrade you can push 700rwhp with out replacing or upgrading any of the parts I listed (maybe a 26 spline input shaft). Also if you're picky there are a lot of wear items that will nickel and dime you to death. Do you like nice seat covers $500-1000 for the stuff installed, carpet, etc, etc.... Its not about the "fun of the journey" its about spending more upfront to save more on the backend.

Different strokes for different strokes.

Sick SVT

Established Member
I wouldnt worry about the miles if your planning a build in the future, I would not pay
16k for it though. I would say 14-14.5 would be tops. I picked up my 03 with 39k miles for 18k so 16 isnt in the ballpark to me. Maybe the current owner hasnt taken it to the strip but theres one reason to put a sra in this car and its for the strip. Mine had a sra in it when I bought it also but dont be fooled...its been down the track. This guy also has a high mileage cobra. Its all in the maintenace and tune but for the right price dont be scared,
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...29-just-your-average-100k-mile-tvs-cobra.html

b_dike

Established Member
I absolutely can't stand it when people post pics, but not one of the engine bay. Especially on a car like this. So much can be seen just from a couple simple pics. Either to confirm or deny what the seller is claiming.

And ya it's over priced...

mach1033

Established Member
If the car was painted correctly then why is that a bad thing? Especially when guys dress up there engine bays, bigger supercharger, aftermarket exhaust systems etc etc and no one complains. Also I'm sure he wants 14k which is why he listed his current price. And yes he should have posted pics of the engine bay.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Do you really like oxford white? I mean do you consider it to be one of your 2-3 preferred colors? If not, skip it. As for it being repainted. If he has a 10k receipt to go with the paint job then yeah - it's a plus. If he has a 1k receipt (or no receipt) then not so much. Also - did you see in the thread where the previous owner put 315's on the stock 9 inch rims? To me that's a red flag - cutting corners to make the car run hard off the line. I'm surprised he could even find a shop to mount 315's on a 9 inch rim.

Users who are viewing this thread