Looking for a car $30k and under

Wikkd03

Established Member
My daily beater finally quit on me and I need a car. I have a 13 5.0 that I will be getting rid of bc I never have time to mess with it. I will be looking for something that gets decent fuel mileage and that can be used as a family car if needed. I've looked at fusions and like them. I also drove the Focus ST but its just too small. I want to look at the Mazdaspeed 3 and also the Mazda 6

I don't like anything dodge or Chevy has so those are out. I'm looking for any recommendations and experiences! I do get x plan.

Thanks

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
I like the new Fusions also. I was able to get about $2k under X-plan (but $1200 over A-plan) on my Edge just by haggling with the dealers. I know this because I asked and received the invoice before we made the deal.

What about foreign brands? Nissan Altima, Accord, Camry, etc, top sellers these days.

dirtychamba

Django
Established Member
i really like the new nissan maxima sv "sport" or something, its the top of the line and msrp is like 38 but i've seen some dealers go as low as 32 especialy this upcoming holiday

Never_Enough

Established Member
I've looked at fusions and like them.
Thanks

We have a new Fusion SE as a loaner now for a week. the car rides good & handles better than I expected. Interior is meh (base model w/cloth & no options really) & I still hate how they do the climate control buttons w/a different button for each vent.

Also, if you go Fusion, do NOT go with the base engine. This thing is a death trap that cannot get out of its own way. Merging onto the highway is a nightmare.

On our trip down to MD yesterday, I averaged 27-28 MPG in stop & go on 95 during the drive down & doing mostly 80-85 MPH on the way home.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
A used Taurus, not sure if you can find an SHO under 30k

MachJoe

Established Member
Fully loaded GTI or GLI. I've had plenty of VWs and know them like the back of my hand. Great cars and great platforms and I could tell you the easiest/cheapest (but still quality parts) way to mod it, if your into that. Even with loads of performance mods I still managed to get 37 mpg's highway and 28-30 city. I'll probably get another when the mk7 comes out.

Stang Lover

Established Member
Fully loaded GTI or GLI. I've had plenty of VWs and know them like the back of my hand. Great cars and great platforms and I could tell you the easiest/cheapest (but still quality parts) way to mod it, if your into that. Even with loads of performance mods I still managed to get 37 mpg's highway and 28-30 city. I'll probably get another when the mk7 comes out.

I've been looking at the GTI's lately and they seem solid. You have any exp with the golf R?

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Normally I say '13+ Fusion or used SHO, but lately the '14 Mazda 6 Grand Touring has caught my eye. I sat in one and was blown away with how they are. My mother-in-law picked up a '14 CX-5 Grand Touring, it's super nice and the 2.5 seemed fairly peppy.

MachJoe

Established Member
I've been looking at the GTI's lately and they seem solid. You have any exp with the golf R?

I know the engine and transmission. Its the FSI engine (from the 06-08 GTIs) they have better top end, but require more mods and maintenance. You'd need a better fuel pump to go stage 2+ which is $1,000. And you have to keep an eye on the cam follower. I had to replace mine in my 08 GTI 2 times, last I knew they're $50-60. In my opinion, and many will agree with me, that the TSI engine in the 2009-current model GTIs are a lot better. The stock fuel pump can handle whatever you throw at it and you don't have to worry about the cam follower. The TSI engine makes great midrange power. I had a 2011 GTI and modded the hell out of it. Had close to 50k miles on it when I sold it and not 1 problem. Still miss that car.

AAG

Established Member
Get the new Accord. Its the best family car you can get for under $30k.

paynecasey

Established Member
Thinks Focus ST is small but wants to check out Mazda Speed 3? It's almost the same car.

How a Fusion Titanium? All wheel drive, 2.0 EB and paddle shifter auto.

WRX to small? Used BMW M5?

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Get a loaded Sonata/KIA OPtima. Heaps of luxury for affordable price. Buy used and save yourself the depreciation of course unless they are having rates/promotion that would end up saving you.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Also, if you go Fusion, do NOT go with the base engine. This thing is a death trap that cannot get out of its own way. Merging onto the highway is a nightmare.

wtf are you smoking, the 2.5L with the 6spd auto is not slow at all. 175hp iirc and 6spd gearing makes it pretty peppy.

I DD mine and have no problems passing pokeys. Its not fast by any means but to say its a nightmare is laughable, even in the shortest of onramps ill hit 70 by merge not even WOT. I set cruise control to 80 on my commute (hilly, san diego) and it doesn't even downshift going uphill on the 15. If someone is lollygagging in the fast lane I have no issue dropping the hammer and hitting 90ish by the time I pass them doing 75.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
How about the Dodge Charger R/T? You can get one for under 30k new. It has heated and cooled seats, heated rear seats and steering wheel, awesome media interface ect... I know you don't want anything Dodge, but it is actually really that good.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread