Looking for a car $30k and under

Never_Enough

Established Member
wtf are you smoking, the 2.5L with the 6spd auto is not slow at all. 175hp iirc and 6spd gearing makes it pretty peppy.

I DD mine and have no problems passing pokeys. Its not fast by any means but to say its a nightmare is laughable, even in the shortest of onramps ill hit 70 by merge not even WOT. I set cruise control to 80 on my commute (hilly, san diego) and it doesn't even downshift going uphill on the 15. If someone is lollygagging in the fast lane I have no issue dropping the hammer and hitting 90ish by the time I pass them doing 75.

Whatever is in this thing is nowhere near peppy. The car is too heavy for this little bit of HP & TQ. I feel ZERO TQ & when I floor it the car just has zero power to move itself. You talk like it's a performance car. I know it's an econobox, but it shouldn't feel this lifeless.

The damn Fiesta feels peppy compared to this death trap.

Last edited:

Never_Enough

Established Member
Agreed! Drive one and your decision will be made.

I have a regular Mazda3 sedan for a daily. 30mpg city 36mpg hwy. Can't beat it.

Then drive a MS6 & you won't want the FWD MS3. Nothing wrong w/the MS3, but FWD blows for performance cars & the MS6, even though they only made them in 2006 & 2007, still feels nicer than a new MS3 to me. Plus torque steer SUCKS!!! If you want an MS6, go Grand Touring, not Sport and don't go test drive a ragged out 125k mile one & base your decision on that. Go find a well maintained one.

Steve@BAS

Established Member
You can pickup a BMW 3 series a year old or so for under $30K It will still have most of the 4 year 40K mile service/warranty left. Nice to never do oil changes and get loaners! (not that I left dealership/mechanics touch my weekend cars, but daily hell yea!)

94_Vert

Established Member
You can get a 10-12 SHO for under 30k very easily, couple mods and your close to 400 with awd.

99GTvert

Established Member
Just got an 09 335i convertible for my girlfriend for just over 28k. Good power, with plenty left to be tapped into, decent mpg, and the perfect balance of sport and luxury. For our wants/needs, nothing under 30k could touch it. Not saying its perfect for everyone, but its something to think about.

TClark22

Established Member
Thinks Focus ST is small but wants to check out Mazda Speed 3? It's almost the same car.

How a Fusion Titanium? All wheel drive, 2.0 EB and paddle shifter auto.

WRX to small? Used BMW M5?

my thoughts exactly

I was gonna say Focus ST...love mine as a DD and TONS of room, good gas mileage and tons of fun pedal

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
Taurus SHO, Ford flex, newer explorer, edge. I'd take the SHO though. I seen a '10 SHO for about $20,000 with under 30k miles.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Whatever is in this thing is nowhere near peppy. The car is too heavy for this little bit of HP & TQ. I feel ZERO TQ & when I floor it the car just has zero power to move itself. You talk like it's a performance car. I know it's an econobox, but it shouldn't feel this lifeless.

The damn Fiesta feels peppy compared to this death trap.

Maybe the one you drove has other issues or was low on compression. 170hp/tq with a decently close ratio 6spd shouldnt feel slow at all, even given the Fusion weight.

Mine isnt fast at all, but it surely isnt slow enough to be considered a death trap by any stretch of the imagination, unless youre used to daily driving 500whp cars. And even then, I DID daily drive a 450whp cobra for almost 3 years and still wouldnt pass this sort of judgement against the 2.5L '10+ fusions. A dodge neon SE 4spd auto is a death trap.

I had no issues earlier playing with a Charger and some 4dr beamer on the freeway just now. Granted I was likely pushing more rpm and throttle input than they were but if this car was slow enough to be considered a death trap id be on the slow lane wishing I could keep up, and flat out that just is not the case.

I guess an extra 100hp and all of a sudden a Mazdaspeed6 is some sort of racecar compared to the fusion though :shrug:

Wikkd03

Established Member
I haven't seen the Mazdaspeed 3 up close but they look bigger than the Focus ST. I'm 6"1 260 and I felt cramped in the ST. The WRX isn't out of question I just dot have a local Suburu dealer. My neighbor is selling his M3 and it s super nice I just worry about cost of parts and maintenance if stuff goes wrong with it

Never_Enough

Established Member
I had no issues earlier playing with a Charger and some 4dr beamer on the freeway just now. Granted I was likely pushing more rpm and throttle input than they were but if this car was slow enough to be considered a death trap id be on the slow lane wishing I could keep up, and flat out that just is not the case.
Are you sure they were trying? :lol:

I guess an extra 100hp and all of a sudden a Mazdaspeed6 is some sort of racecar compared to the fusion though :shrug:

My MS6 has nothing to do w/this, but since you mentioned it...it's not the only car I've owned & yes, 300+ AWHP is faster & I can feel the torque. :rollseyes

I'm glad you love your fast Fusion. They are decent cars. Nothing wrong w/them other than the base model engine IMO. if I were to buy one, it would not be the base engine. Have a good day.

Last edited:

03cobra 87GN

Established Member
What about the new kia optimas sx or sxl or the huyndai sonata?
I just got a 13 sxl and I love it so far. 274hp 2.0t 35mpg on highway and regular gas. Plus its got all the bells and whistles. Led driving lights, hid headlights, nav, bluetooth, panoramic roof, and heated and cooled seats. Its actually one of my favorite cars so far and its a big car. Im 6'3" and 280 and I got tons of room and its got a big ass trunk lol

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
I just got a 13 sxl and I love it so far. 274hp 2.0t 35mpg on highway and regular gas. Plus its got all the bells and whistles. Led driving lights, hid headlights, nav, bluetooth, panoramic roof, and heated and cooled seats. Its actually one of my favorite cars so far and its a big car. Im 6'3" and 280 and I got tons of room and its got a big ass trunk lol

The Optima is one of the best looking mid range Sedans on the road IMO and they are stupidly equipped. I was going to get one but I decided to go a little more sportier for Sedan but wish I had the bells n whistles they have.

03cobra 87GN

Established Member
Wireeater what'd you end up getting? I think its pretty sporty for what it is. I had a 2004 volvo V70R that was their sports car to compete with audi S4s had 300hp/300tq and awd. I think this kia handles almost as good. But I think the kia would out run the volvo I had. Don't get me wrong the kia isnt a purebreed sports car, but I dont think its bad in that department at least Im not bored of it yet lol.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Are you sure they were trying? :lol:

My MS6 has nothing to do w/this, but since you mentioned it...it's not the only car I've owned & yes, 300+ AWHP is faster & I can feel the torque. :rollseyes

I'm glad you love your fast Fusion. They are decent cars. Nothing wrong w/them other than the base model engine IMO. if I were to buy one, it would not be the base engine. Have a good day.

lol ive been around for long enough to know when cars are trying.

I don't love it (if I did I wouldn't want to replace it like I do), its just a car that gets me to work and back every day and does so in a super reliable and economical fashion. Its not fast, but it sure in the hell isn't "death trap" slow. I feel like you forgot when cars had 120hp mated to 4spd automatics with piss poor gearing as being "death trap slow". Id say just about the only person on this board that can say a fusion is death trap slow would be Treynor, maybe FastFreddy too.

FWIW when I test drove the v6 fusion sport it didn't feel fast enough over the I4 to justify the price tag, and its 260hp iirc.

Last edited:

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
a couple months ago, we bought a 2012 Acura TSX with the Tech Package & the K24 engine. We absolutely love it! We drove everything Ford had from 1.6 EcoBoost Fusion, Taurus SEL, Explorer XLT, you name it. I'm a diehard Ford guy, but even I was convinced this car had it all over the Fords we drove for the money. We got it for $27,500 with 2,440 miles on it. It was a comp car for the sevice dept.

The fit & finish is beyond anything else we drove. The balance of sport & luxury is outstanding. I love the shock tuning over bumps and handling. The steering is great, and the steering wheel itself has a great feel to it. The K24 has 201 hp, and it's more than enough to get this thing moving. I absolutely LOVE the seats. It is rated for 31 hwy mpg, but we are averaging 28.5 mpg mixed driving, and pull 33-35 on the highway during road trips. I never could come CLOSE to the advertised mpg in the Ecoboost Fusion.

Just something different that you don't see all over the road. I've not been a fan of Acura's front grille treatment the last few years, but it "fits" the TSX just right.

Last edited:

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
I haven't seen the Mazdaspeed 3 up close but they look bigger than the Focus ST. I'm 6"1 260 and I felt cramped in the ST. The WRX isn't out of question I just dot have a local Suburu dealer. My neighbor is selling his M3 and it s super nice I just worry about cost of parts and maintenance if stuff goes wrong with it

We bought a '12 Camry SE last year OP. I am about your size and I really like it. Fully loaded w/ nav, has good truck space and I can get about 40mpg out of it driving the 2 lane highway everyday to work. Interstate is closer to the 36mpg mark...

think otd price was around 27k mark iirc and they had some pretty good financing options as well....

Last edited:

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned

I wish I could afford the Optima SXL

Sitcker of 35k

Invoice is about 32800

Some months have 1k customer cash

some have 1 k comepetitve/loyalty

some have both but still thats 30800 before taxes, a lot of coin but one hell of a car

Wikkd03

Established Member
I will check out the Acura and camry! The Kia stickers for
About 35k

Users who are viewing this thread