Looking for a new setup

BacNBlak

WOODY
Established Member
You can read my mods in my sig, and am looking for info on pros / cons of swapping to this setup..

-stock upper back on
-Keep the 4lb lower
-ported blower
-SCT MAF

Heres my logic and thinking. I'm looking for a SAFE!!!! setup (blew 1 motor on current) and a more efficient way to make power. Obviously, theres less boost, but with the ported blower, would the efficiency of cooler IAT's and less drag on the engine come close making up for the loss of boost?? Im thinking that the stock Eaton is at or beyond its efficieny level pushing 14.5 lbs of boost with no port, and that the current pulley setup with a port job would push the reliability of a daily beaten L.

Thoughts, experiences, past projects results; anything would be great. Thanks in advance for the help fellas!

N20JUNKY

Established Member
If your in the market for a ported blower I have a home ported one i bought from CHUXSVT on NLOC that im getting rid of, pm me if your interested

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
Were you able to determine exactly what caused your last motor to blow? Remember, boost PSI is relative to many factors and a higher boost PSI DOES NOT necessarily mean more power.

Pros:
- Your truck will be slightly "safer" due to dropping it down closer to stock boost/power levels.
- Less heat produced by the Eaton since you won't be spinning it as hard. A cooler air charge will be less prone to pre-det.
-Porting the S/C will further reduce the amount of heat produced.
- The upgraded MAF will allow you added safety as well so you won't have to worry about pegging the MAF.
- Larger upper pulley will reduce the possibility of belt slip.

Cons:
- A common result of porting the Eaton is a loss of torque. A ported Eaton is at its best when run in conjunction with a 6# lower (or the equivalent of) according to most guys (IIRC Stiegemeier claims this as well).
- With the port your HP may be in the same area as what you had, but the power under the curve as a whole will most likely lack :shrug:.

BacNBlak

WOODY
Established Member
I never did PINPOINT the reason the truck blew. Im assuming the MAF pegged. when I had the truck tuned, I asked the guy if I should buy a SCT Big Air, and he said no. Wish I had. Would the 4# Lower and 2.8 upper be safe to run with a ported blower (and MAF of course)?

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
A 2.80" upper/4# lower pulley combination (3.04/1 pulley ratio) will be the rough equivalent of a 6# lower which produces a 3.07/1 pulley ratio. With a MAF upgrade and solid tune you'll be fine.

SVTL Joe Joe

Banned
i know what everyone says ive read it alot too but i stay in michigan and im not gonna get the MAF extender until i get a built block.....the 90mm is more than enough and ive run my truck hard in 15* with a 6lb lower tb and tune. i didnt beleive it either until i went and got my tune and was speaking with my tuner (pm for details hes legit trust me) about getting the MAFia (i know now when i do get an extender i wont be getting that brand) and he thought i was crazy and said "watch" we pegged HIS MAF that was stock on his 04 5-10 times while it was on the dyno.....no detenation and the shops doors were open to 30* air blowing right in at the truck. so IMO if you have your stock 90mm off an 01-up youll be fine with your mods

to others im not saying im the guru of right lol im just giving my honest opinion on the extenders. in my personally opinion (that Ive accumulated after talkin to several tuners and reading up on them) there not as necessary as there made to be......damn i know im gonna get flammed for this lol

and no im not saying go out in your stock rod lightning and go see what it can do when its 0* either just common sense dont beat the shit out of it and youll be alright

Last edited:

LSUstang05

Established Member
I have a 4# lower, ported blower, and a SCT BA2600 MAF. I made 441/509 with 15* of timing and 11.8 air/fuel ratio. It's as safe as it can possibly be and makes a nice chunk of power and torque.

Here is a dyno graph of it.
jordandyno.jpg

My point is that a 4# lower, ported blower, and SCT MAF will be really safe and you'll be able to make power out of it, also. I'd say go for it if you're worried about blowing another motor.

Users who are viewing this thread