Looking for advice and opinions

cclark

Established Member
Okay guys I have been having the hardest time deciding what to so here...I'm getting a house shortly and will be buying a toy after that, and am having the hardest time deciding on what to get. I am looking for a fast street car, straight line performance, no twisties for me, and will crush 99 percent of the cars on the road and will be taken to the track 1-2 times a year. Here are my 2 main options I'm considering and looking at.

Option 1.
2013 5.0/boss
I would consider getting an auto 5.0 if a manual or reverse manual valve body could be put in the 6r80 tranny but I don't think it can. (No offense to anyone else who has one but I can't just put it in D and drive I have to have some type of movement and control over my car, like a reverse manual valve body would be enough for me)..so I could get a M6 5.0 have the motor built or buy a boss short block, and either go with a JPC single turbo kit or the ken b and Jon Lund twin turbo kit and so a th400 tyranny swap...orrrr go the built motor route still and go a centrifugal blower route and meth, and stick with a stick and swap in the magnum xl tranny instead of the mt82 (that tranny is too risky when adding boost). And if I go the boss route ill probably go the stick route as well, don't think I could put an auto tranny in a boss. So if I choose option one I would also have to choose either th400 with reverse mvb or a magnum xl 6 speed...any insight between the two would be good. Had a terminator before and loved the t56 stick and wondering if a auto valve body would be just as fun

Option 2.
2013/2014 Shelby
Little mods to this and ill have mid 700 to the wheels and that's all I want. Along with a gear swap (373) and drag radials and a little suspension. This car would be done after that. But I would also be taking the risk of the tr6060 1 to 2 grind and now with multiple clutch stories popping up about exploding and burning up, I don't know. I could deal with a blown clutch I would just go McCloud rxt and make sure to change the rear gears and hope for the best and call it done. But I don't want the grind.

The cost would be similar, I'm guessing because an optioned Shelby I would want would be mid 60s plus mods would be around 70-74 most likely...the first option might even be cheaper with a built motor, power adder and tranny swap of some sort. So both options are even in that regards I suppose. I don't know what I wanna do, any advice would be appreciated.

*note for the mods I am posting this in all 3 sections...(5.0, boss and 13 Shelby forums) for every type of owner to see. Thanks

rdsnk46

Established Member
The 13/14 GT500 trans is a completely new trans. Upgraded from the 6060 I belive.

gkviper192

Established Member
The gt500 will be a lot less of a headache to meet the goals you are speaking of trying to reach. If you are dead set on a boss than sure you could throw the car along with a ton of money at shop and say Go! lol but IMO i'd go with the gt500... few bolt ons and your good to go. do some suspension work and get it feeling just as good or better than a boss.

cclark

Established Member
The 13/14 GT500 trans is a completely new trans. Upgraded from the 6060 I belive.

So it's not a tr6060 anymore in the Shelby's? Or is it still the same tranny just upgraded and beefed up a little like the clutch?

cclark

Established Member
The gt500 will be a lot less of a headache to meet the goals you are speaking of trying to reach. If you are dead set on a boss than sure you could throw the car along with a ton of money at shop and say Go! lol but IMO i'd go with the gt500... few bolt ons and your good to go. do some suspension work and get it feeling just as good or better than a boss.

Judging by your sig it seems you have already had some experience with the highly modded boss scene? Lol, your right man I mean I didn't really think about the amount of time and how much of a headache one would be over the other.

I would have to dump a lot at a shop for a built motor but me and my pops were gonna put the turbo/blower kit on once the built motor was in the gt or boss and then go from there but it seems like a lot of hassle and work. Still not set on shifting a th400 versus a true h pattern manual

Very much appreciate the advice man

ILW84U

Established Member
So it's not a tr6060 anymore in the Shelby's? Or is it still the same tranny just upgraded and beefed up a little like the clutch?
Still a TR6060 upgraded and gear ratios changed.

"Most of the gearbox's bearings have been upgraded to handle the added stress of the extra power available, and each gear now employs a new helix angle to be able to handle more torque than before. Likewise, the output shaft now packs 40 splines compared to the 28 splines in the old cog box."

Last edited:

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
This question doesn't make any sense. If you already know you want straight line only with no curves in your future, your choice is a no-brainer. That's exactly what the Shelby is (straight line) and exactly what the Boss is not for ( It's for road courses). Simple choice in my mind. Either way, I don't think you can lose on fun factor though.

VegasMichael

Established Member
Are you actually going to street race or do you just want the satisfaction of knowing you can beat the guy next to you(who may have modified his ride in ways you are unaware of)?

Addendum to your post: A new V6 Mustang will run you in the 20k's--compared to a '13 Shelby which will run you 60k and change. That leaves you 30k+ or so to play with the V6.

cclark

Established Member
Copy that on the tr6060, thank you IW84U

Lethal, yeah man I understand where your coming from, I was just talking about money spent on one another to make one faster. But many things come into play, such as resale vs money spent, how much time and effort going into one vs another, etc.

Yes I plan to race once in a while for sure!

rdsnk46

Established Member
The stock Boss motor should handle plenty of power in stock form, I'd say safely low to mid 600rwhp. Which in a lighter car could be very lethal.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
ever drive a stock, or a modded c6z?? i've yet to really uncork my '13gt500 since having clutch issues. sure, there are concerns with the dropped valves on c6z's, but most with upgraded exhaust valves have not had problems. my h/c/i z is absolutely nuts. a couple others here have or have had modded c6z's. something to consider

cclark

Established Member
Hey Kirk!,
Yeah I have never driven one but would love to, especially a h/c/I one. I've heard about the dropped valves tho that's definitely something to think about. Honestly I think I have basically narrowed it down to a brand new 13/14 Shelby or a slightly used (500-2000 mile) c6z, 2010-2012

I honestly like the looks of the Shelby better but the Vette is nasty. It's definitely been on my mind, for some reason lately I got this idea to mod the hell out of a gt or boss and thought that would be better than a Shelby but I don't think so after this.

Those 2 are my main options. A manual gear box is necessary for me at this point, it's so much fun. A could do a th400 but that doesn't come from the factory. Could be something I put in down the road on whatever vehicle I purchase if I get tired of the manual. But I like how you have both cars and can compare. Anyway over time once your clutch gets broken in you could make a thread comparing the 2? Especially if you mod the Shelby, like intake, tb, lower, midpipe, tune or something?? That would be awesome insight man. Thanks for the input as well, and for everyone else so far I appreciate it.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
my vette is a very mild cam/ported-milled stock heads with upgraded valves/intake/t-body/exhaust/clutch car and it is seriously nasty as hell. you literally feel like you're attached to the road--driving a go-kart. it sits at 580 rwhp, the clutch is easier to work than the stocker, and the car fits 345's on the rear with ease. the cam is incredibly streetable. 40 more hp is doable, but i wanted a cam my wife could handle.

the shelby has the rear seats--my kids love it. obviously, i'm worried about the new clutch, but hopefully i run up the miles this weekend and can drive it hard before the weather really changes hear. i have intake/t-body/tune/midpipe ready to go on (680rwhp power pack from lethal), but i'm going to wait until the car is solid/proven, before i modify it. i'm sure its fast, but it needs bigger tires on the back

Last edited:

rancid

Established Member
I almost bought a c6 Z with h/c/i from a friend of mine that had it pro built and went with the Shelby. The vette is an awesome car but I needed the back seat for my son and I've had a Z previously and wanted to try something different.

I think the Shelby overall would be cheaper to mod for serious HP but the ls7 combos are proven where people are still learning about the 5.8L. As far as the dropped valve, they think it is related to the exhaust valves wear and can be fixed with some head work.

After H/C/I supporting mods such as headers, catback, throttle body, timing chain, dyno tune and labor I was well into the $10K mark for mods. If you can do the work yourself you will save roughly $2000-2500.

Last edited:

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
If you want straight line performance forget the Boss and get a regular GT. Take the extra money saved and add a supercharger. Boss would be a waste of money. Of just go straight to the GT500.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I don't think GTR's or H/C/I Z's are even in the same price range are they? I assumed the OP was wanting to keep at least around the same general cost window. Maybe I'm wrong.

cclark

Established Member
my vette is a very mild cam/ported-milled stock heads with upgraded valves/intake/t-body/exhaust/clutch car and it is seriously nasty as hell. you literally feel like you're attached to the road--driving a go-kart. it sits at 580 rwhp, the clutch is easier to work than the stocker, and the car fits 345's on the rear with ease. the cam is incredibly streetable. 40 more hp is doable, but i wanted a cam my wife could handle.

the shelby has the rear seats--my kids love it. obviously, i'm worried about the new clutch, but hopefully i run up the miles this weekend and can drive it hard before the weather really changes hear. i have intake/t-body/tune/midpipe ready to go on (680rwhp power pack from lethal), but i'm going to wait until the car is solid/proven, before i modify it. i'm sure its fast, but it needs bigger tires on the back

I can only imagine 580 wheel horse in a 3200 pound car with 345s out back, that all sounds so sick to me man. I was reading up on the lethal and revan power packages for the Shelby and that seems like a really good kit, when you can just do a couple bolt ons and make nearly 700 to the wheels that's saying something for sure.

This is making my decision difficult but I have plenty of time to figure it out. I agree 100 percent about the tires being too little out back of the Shelby, 285 is just ridiculous! Thanks a ton for the info Kirk, I hope this second stock clutch works out better than the first and Shelby continues to impress.

cclark

Established Member
I almost bought a c6 Z with h/c/i from a friend of mine that had it pro built and went with the Shelby. The vette is an awesome car but I needed the back seat for my son and I've had a Z previously and wanted to try something different.

I think the Shelby overall would be cheaper to mod for serious HP but the ls7 combos are proven where people are still learning about the 5.8L. As far as the dropped valve, they think it is related to the exhaust valves wear and can be fixed with some head work.

After H/C/I supporting mods such as headers, catback, throttle body, timing chain, dyno tune and labor I was well into the $10K mark for mods. If you can do the work yourself you will save roughly $2000-2500.

The not having back seats wouldn't bother me at all luckily at this point in my life, I'm younger and don't have a wife or kids yet and want to an enjoy a nice toy for a couple years and take it to shows and play around with it before its time to get all serious. I am sure I could do some things myself, heads and cam would be past my knowledge and experience and expertise lol but 10 grand is not horrendous for all those mods considering it would yield close to 600 to the wheels. Definitely a good point about the motors, 5.8 being a brand new motor and the tried and true ls7 ol push rod

Users who are viewing this thread