Looking for feedback on DSS upgraded half shafts

davidwhitt

Established Member
I am 99% sure that I broke a stock half shaft on Sunday at the drag strip - hope to know more later this week.

Was curious if folks had feedback good or bad with using the upgraded Stage 2 or Stage 5 half shafts from the Drive Shaft Shop. Was considering staying with the IRS and going with one of these upgraded half shafts. Would be interested in any feedback (good or bad) as to reliability at the track, streetability/driveability and any other breaks of other rear end components once the upgraded shafts were installed (would seem the upgraded shafts could transfer stress and increased pressure on other components in the IRS).

I have already done a search and there was not a lot out there on these particular half shafts in terms of the feedback I am seeking.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
I just posted some pics today of the stock compared to lvl 5's that I took when I put the level 5's in my car. I put mine in as well as a slew of other rear end stuff while I was waiting for my stroker to be built. Still dont have the engine together so cant comment personally on the half shafts, but I have not heard of anyone breaking a lvl 5 yet.

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
I broke outer stub on a pair of Amazon Stage 2's. Note that the outer stub on the Amazon (and DSS Stage 2s as well) is stock. The bars looked perfect. I have DSS Stage 5's and so far so good but no track runs yet, been too busy and the weather too hot to try and get back to the track. Hopefully in the next 3-4 weeks I'll be back out with the new shafts, diffy and line lock.

SinisterX

Makin ALL KINDS of gains
Established Member
Im using the stage 1, which is hardend CV's and a new center bar.
$650 and I have had some hard wheel hop w/ no probs.
Just send your stock 1/2's to DSS

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by mike79
I dont even remember anyone breaking the level 2's.
Funny... I was just talking to another SVTP member at the track tonight about how well my level 2's have performed. (This was right after I hopped through first and hopped sideways through 2nd. :rollseyes )
I broke a stock halfshaft in May 03 and replaced with the DSS level 2's. Put the KB on in June of 03 and the halfs shafts have held up so far with lots of power and lots of stupid wheel hop.
I'm impressed!!

Edit...maybe I have the stage 1's??
Whatever they are, they're worth the money invested and I will go with the level 5's when these finally break.

Last edited:

projekZERO

Werd
Established Member
i just liked em cause no assembly required, lol. also i went to the manufactures website and they said they build the cv axles for like 40% percent of production vehicles?? theres some kind of big manufactuar. im guessin they doing if they really do all that?

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
I went straight to lvl5 halfshafts and hubs.
no problems, although i am one of the few without wheel hop most of the time. but ive done lots of others things to the irs.

on a side note if the bolts they came with are any indication how solid they are, then i dont think you have to worry.

(h/s came with these hardened steel
bolts (you know the ones that your rims mount too) they are too long for normal
rims and had to be shorten, ugh those things were uber tough.

i think if you want to keep the ride quality and namely the irs then do the upgrade. if your a 1/4 mile junky you might want to skip the whole thing and go straight to solid, depends on your fundage.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
I have the level I's (just the hardened bars) and have been happy with them so far, (especially now that I think I've resolved the boot leaking issue.) They are not as noisy/clunky as the stockers, and believe it or not, helped reduce wheel hop.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by projekZERO
Not meaning to hyjack this thread, but im curious to see if anyone has tried these axles yet?http://www.need-4-speed.com/gkn.htm

Those do look pretty sturdy, but did anyone notice they list one part for 2001-2004? (The half shafts were upgraded from the '01 to the '03 Cobra and have a different number of splines.)

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
Originally posted by davidwhitt
Jerry:

Thanks for the feedback - what sort of mod's do you have and/or rwhp?

2.80 Apten, 499rwhp, best 1/8th of 7.13 @ 100.25 in 850' DA. Had 3.90 gears at the time of that run w/ MJ's brace, subframes, IRSand diffy poly bushings, Densecharger and SCT Custom tuned and full exhaust including Bassani mid-lengths and Billetflow TB and pulleys.

Users who are viewing this thread