Looking for feedback on DSS upgraded half shafts

o3SnakeBite

Die Hard Sports Junkie
Established Member
Dam... I'll just stick with the stock ones till the warranty runs out sence its free, then i'll switch over to something along those lines

Chucko

Palindrome
Established Member
Originally posted by Black2003Cobra
Those do look pretty sturdy, but did anyone notice they list one part for 2001-2004? (The half shafts were upgraded from the '01 to the '03 Cobra and have a different number of splines.)

look a little further down the page. They have a separate part number for the 31 spline cars.

Last edited:

davidwhitt

Established Member
Just ordered my DSS Stage 2 shafts today - I did break a stock passenger side half shaft - was confirmed last night by Amazon - hope to try them out later this month at the track once installed - thanks for everyones' feedback

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Those do look pretty sturdy, but did anyone notice they list one part for 2001-2004? (The half shafts were upgraded from the '01 to the '03 Cobra and have a different number of splines.)

That's a common misconception that even DSS hasn't figured out right. 2001 Cobras came with 31 spline axles. I didn't believe it myself until I went to order a 3rd member with 3.73's from FRPP and they informed me that it would fit the 1999 only. I finally just bought a 3rd member out of a 2003 and it fit perfectly in the 2001. I'm not sure if there is a difference on the outer splines though. 2001 has 31 spline inner and 28 spline outer. 2003 has 31 spine inner and ???? outer...anyone know for sure?

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by FireRed04Vert
That's a common misconception that even DSS hasn't figured out right. 2001 Cobras came with 31 spline axles. I didn't believe it myself until I went to order a 3rd member with 3.73's from FRPP and they informed me that it would fit the 1999 only. I finally just bought a 3rd member out of a 2003 and it fit perfectly in the 2001. I'm not sure if there is a difference on the outer splines though. 2001 has 31 spline inner and 28 spline outer. 2003 has 31 spine inner and ???? outer...anyone know for sure?
I beleive the 03's are 28 spline outers as well. There is more to it than just the spline count though. I didnt count the spline on my DSS lvl5's when I put them in but they are a larger diameter and even if they are still 28, the larger diameter allows them to cut the splines a bit deeper and still have more central core area than the stock.

Chucko

Palindrome
Established Member
I sent an email to the folks who sell the GKN product asking them about the 2001 vs 2003/2004 difference and how they compare to the DSS products, and this is what they replied:

The GKN shaft is the same for 2001-2004. 1999 Cobra's feature a 28 spline differential, while the 2001-2004 Cobra's feature a 31-spline diff. The 2003-2004 Cobra from the factory came with an "improved" halfshaft, so that is why they are different. It is not a fitment issue. As for the price, it will actually be going up at some point due to the quality of this piece. I am familar with the DSS unit, but you can not compare them. From what I understand, their does not even include an inner joint, while our GKN unit is a complete assembly. As for hp numbers, if their unit can handle 600 rear wheel hp, then the GKN unit we sell would be good for even more hp since it does not re-use part of the factory shaft. Hope this helps.

I'm not picking one over the other, but it looks like the GKN piece is also a quality product. I like the fact that it it a complete, preassembled unit that should be pretty much plug and play.

It's always nice to have a choice.

lucafu1

Established Member
Originally posted by Chucko
I sent an email to the folks who sell the GKN product asking them about the 2001 vs 2003/2004 difference and how they compare to the DSS products, and this is what they replied:

The GKN shaft is the same for 2001-2004. 1999 Cobra's feature a 28 spline differential, while the 2001-2004 Cobra's feature a 31-spline diff. The 2003-2004 Cobra from the factory came with an "improved" halfshaft, so that is why they are different. It is not a fitment issue. As for the price, it will actually be going up at some point due to the quality of this piece. I am familar with the DSS unit, but you can not compare them. From what I understand, their does not even include an inner joint, while our GKN unit is a complete assembly. As for hp numbers, if their unit can handle 600 rear wheel hp, then the GKN unit we sell would be good for even more hp since it does not re-use part of the factory shaft. Hope this helps.

I'm not picking one over the other, but it looks like the GKN piece is also a quality product. I like the fact that it it a complete, preassembled unit that should be pretty much plug and play.

right on, good post

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member

Awesome. BUT the only thing I dont like is they dont say what HP level its good for. Just 'around'.

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
Are you guys confusing the outer stub spline count and the inner stub/Differential spline count? The 03' has a 31 spline diffy, that is the difference. I have no idea if the outer stub is different between the 01 and 03..

Jerry

projekZERO

Werd
Established Member
who cares about hp ratings anyway, its the tq rating which is more important and no axles are rated in such a way, ive seen dss axles break at lower hp levels then they were supposed to be good for because these cars made a great deal of torque (these were hondas). torque breaks the axles not hp.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by FireRed04Vert

Thanks for clearing that up! That is what I had read somewhere. I do know for certain (I have one sitting on my bench) that the '03s and '04s outer stub has 28 splines (and inner has 31), so if the '01 has 28 on the outer, the '03 is the same as the '01.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by projekZERO
who cares about hp ratings anyway, its the tq rating which is more important and no axles are rated in such a way, ive seen dss axles break at lower hp levels then they were supposed to be good for because these cars made a great deal of torque (these were hondas). torque breaks the axles not hp.

Absolutely true. Torque rating is what should be spec'd, I agree. For example, if you're running a higher rear-end gear ratio, you'll be pushing that much more torque, proportionally, at the same HP. For an ideal (lossless) set of gears, power is conserved while torque is not.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
P.S. Anyone know the ultimate sheer strength of 300M and 4340 steel? I've been trying to look it up, but I'm not having much luck.

Chucko

Palindrome
Established Member
P.S. Anyone know the ultimate sheer strength of 300M and 4340 steel? I've been trying to look it up, but I'm not having much luck.

Here's what I found:

4340 steel

300M steel

I know it's not much to go on. I did find that 4340 is what many high-strength crankshafts are made of.

I asked the GKN vendor about their stock situation with the shafts and some other info and this is what they replied:

We typically stock them, I just happen to be in between orders right now. I can get them in a few days for you. Just so you know, we sell the GKN's, and only the GKN's because of their highest quality. We have sold a ton of their "older", not as strong design to many customers with 500+ rear wheel hp cars, with no issues. Then, about a year ago, GKN did a revamp of all their shafts, the Cobra ones included. So far, we have guys running Fun Ford and NMRA with 650+ with no issues. Hope this helps. :)

46stang

Established Member
I believe the dss level 2's are rated at 600hp! the level 5's are like 900hp. big difference. the GKN is a nice piece but i don't believe there unit is good for 900hp?
Leon

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Here's what I found:

4340 steel

300M steel

I know it's not much to go on. I did find that 4340 is what many high-strength crankshafts are made of.

Thanks chucko. Looks like the shear modulus is the same. Now if we knew the min diameter of the GKN's .... (DSS bars are 1.25" min, if I remember correctly.)

Users who are viewing this thread