Looking for feedback on DSS upgraded half shafts

projekZERO

Werd
Established Member
it wouldnt matter if the gkn axles were only good for 750 hp (t says used on 750 hp vipers on need-4-speeds website. that would place them right inbetween the level 2 for 1k and level 5 for 1.6K, in both hp rating and price. plus u save the pain of installing new hubs and putting the axles together, even tho putting axles together is a breeze.

jburrage

Established Member
I like the fact that the GKN Shafts use their own upgraded inner CV Joints. The DSS Shafts re-use the stock inner joints. Just my .02.

46stang

Established Member
just an fyi but i don't believe anyone has broken the inner cv joint. it is very strong. they may have broken the axle were it goes into the inner cv but not the cv itself. the strictly pro guys tested the dss level 5's with the stock inner cv's to very low 10.x ets and i believe near 140mph and haven't broken it yet? the install would be easier with the inner all ready on though.
Leon

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
JerryK...all diff's from 2001 up have 31 spline axles (diff side). All axles from 2001 to 2004 will interchange. The 2003/2004 axles are upgraded units and will handle more torque than the 2001 units...but the 2003 up axles and diff will bolt in the 2001.

AT least GKN knows this difference. DSS doesn't. They emailed me and told me the '01 was 28 spline at the diff. Absolutely not true.

46stang

Established Member
just some more info, the dss level 5 stub shaft(outer) has 33 splines! i counted today! the inner is the stock 31 spline!
Leon

davidwhitt

Established Member
I picked up my car today from Amazon with newly installed DSS Level 2 half shafts - hopefully this will be the cure for me

awaiting cooler weather for another shot at the 1/4 mile

Users who are viewing this thread