Looking for rim and ground effects suggestions on a 01

FlyinBryan

Established Member
Looking for aftermarket suggestions (rims)

Scratching previous plans to create the ultimate pussy getter... Just looking for rims now. As well, are there any aftermarket parts to replace the trim around the stereo etc? I've seen a few vids where guys have a frost colored dash trim instead of the black. I'd love to get some real carbon fiber or higher quality polished dash trim.

Last edited:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Body kits huh? Prepare to get laughed off this board. Corner-carvers.com is where you should ask this question at. They'll have alot better answers for you over there.

FlyinBryan

Established Member
Body kits huh? Prepare to get laughed off this board. Corner-carvers.com is where you should ask this question at. They'll have alot better answers for you over there.

lol... You guys are all go and no show huh? I can respect that! :burnout:

InvisibleBlade

Highway to Hell
Established Member
It's not that we are "no show", it's just most people on here prefer the stock look the best. Why not buy more go-fast parts or handling parts instead of a body kit? Feel free to do what you want with your money though, that's just my opinion.

Predatorbird

Established Member
I'll be buying a 01 on Tuesday for $10,000 and I want to improve upon stock with another $3,000. I've just started looking, but here are a few things that caught my eyes. The car has already been lowered and has 03 Cobra rims(alloy not chrome).

Here's what I have left! ($1,600)
$3,000
-$200 K&N filter system
--------
$2,800
-$1,000 paint hood and body kit (is that enough?)
--------
$1,800
-$200 for tint
--------
$1,600 left to choose hood, body kit, 18" rims and tires, etc.
--------
+$10,000 sell Cobra
$11,600
--------
-$6000 buy v6 Mustang
$5,000 new budget to ruin a Mustang

Rims:
18" WHEELS RIMS 300ZX G35 350Z 370Z MUSTANG SUPRA RX7 :eBay Motors (item 350292839021 end time Dec-20-09 08:03:15 PST)
MOMO Custom Wheels/Rims Strike Black 18 inch 5 Lug:eBay Motors (item 170420520828 end time Jan-14-10 04:14:20 PST)

Body kits and hoods:
Mustang Body Kits

Fixed it for ya.

FlyinBryan

Established Member
this is going to be your first car isnt it? Do as you want however a 1,000$ paint job will be pretty bad

$1000 just to paint a body kit should be pretty decent. May be hard to match though idk. I had a new 2001 Cobra as well. It was on the fast and furious movie. j/k

Last edited:

mustangman36578

Established Member

+1. dont ruin a perfectly good cobra by putting a body kit on it. if you want a body kit do what predatorbird said and get a v6. and nope not just go and not show on this board but i would say at least 90% of the people that post in this forum prefer to put the $ into performance mods instead of looks. that $2,600 you plan on for a hood and body kit and paint i would do cat back exhaust - $500, gears (4.30s, 4.10s or possibly just 3.73s) ~$600 installed, and that leaves $1,500 for rims, tires and the carbon fiber radio trim.

Last edited:

FlyinBryan

Established Member
+1. dont ruin a perfectly good cobra by putting a body kit on it. if you want a body kit do what predatorbird said and get a v6. and nope not just go and not show on this board but i would say at least 90% of the people that post in this forum prefer to put the $ into performance mods instead of looks. that $2,600 you plan on for a hood and body kit and paint i would do cat back exhaust - $500, gears (4.30s, 4.10s or possibly just 3.73s) ~$600 installed, and that leaves $1,500 for rims, tires and the carbon fiber radio trim.

Yeah I'm going to leave the body kit alone due to just about everyone suggesting so. I personally love the look of the Saleen's and Roush's for example. Imo the body kits really make those rides pop, but I'll the advice of others.

cobraracer46

Banned
Imo the body kits really make those rides pop, but I'll the advice of others.

For sure, Body kits really do make the 99-04 mustangs "pop" a big fat stinky lump of shit. :xpl: Simply put, body kits give mustangs a cheap, tacked on look. It's an eye sore:dw: The 99-01 Cobra body style is clean and looks great as is.

I would recommend putting your money on lowering springs and some real nice wheels, not the heavy chinese made knock off's that every body likes to bolt on to their Mustangs.

Wheels really do transform the looks of a Mustang so here are some of my recommendations.

FIKSE USA - aluminum rims, chroma, classic, profil, Porsche wheels, race wheels, light alloy wheels, light alloy rims, aluminum wheels, FISKE, 3-D view, forged modular, multi-piece, multiple pieces, rim protector, forging technology, forged rims
Complete Custom Wheel - Wheel Profiles
HRE Performance Wheels – COMP Series
BBS America

Last edited:

tistan

Established Member
For sure, Body kits really do make the 99-04 mustangs "pop" a big fat stinky lump of shit. :xpl: Simply put, body kits give mustangs a cheap, tacked on look. It's an eye sore:dw:

Or you can just put cobraracer in the drivers seat of any mustang and achieve this same affect.

mustangman36578

Established Member
Or you can just put cobraracer in the drivers seat of any mustang and achieve this same affect.

:lol: but i do agree with him this time. if you want to be noticed go with some nice sounding exhaust. you will turn more heads that way, at least in a positive way, then if you put a body kit on it.

cobrasvtcoupe25

Established Member
Look into 03 Cobra side scoops, 03 Cobra wing, Mach 1/03 Lip, 03 side skirts, cowl hood, etc.

Don't go buy a stalker kit :xpl: Work w/ what you got.

Buy a set of wheels/catback and then look at your cobra and see what you want to do. Don't jump the gun..

In the end of the day it's your car, your money, but I definitely listen to people on here. Trust me :beer:

VtekII

Established Member
if you like the looks of a roush or saleen put the stuff on there who cares, just dont claim it to be a real one of either kind...

WMA????(cant think of the exact screen name) has a saleen kit on his cobra and looks nice as hell. people automatically think when you say body kit it will be some ricer shit, i know i do. just do a picture search on here and youll find some really nice new edges with ground effects on them...

Predatorbird

Established Member
if you like the looks of a roush or saleen put the stuff on there who cares, just dont claim it to be a real one of either kind...

WMA????(cant think of the exact screen name) has a saleen kit on his cobra and looks nice as hell. people automatically think when you say body kit it will be some ricer shit, i know i do. just do a picture search on here and youll find some really nice new edges with ground effects on them...

His car is the only nice one I've seen with the Saleen body kit installed. Most of the cars I see around town who do Roush/Saleen kits don't have them painted right to match the car and they don't take the time to install the kits right. The panels don't line up right and it is obvious it wasn't done from the factory.

VtekII

Established Member
u do speak the truth Predatorbird, u have to do a quality job with a good quality kit otherwise yes it does look like a retarded POS. my brother had a gt he bought with a saleen kit on it, it was black and looked like crap. but it didnt really bother him that much since hes not as anal as i am

wma8706

Established Member
Listen to the advice given here. These boys know what they're talking about. Work on getting the proper stance first. Wide rims and tires in the rear and a hunker down profile will make your car look amazing! If your into body mods ... stick to a theme like the Cobra R, Terminator, Saleen or Roush .... just keep in mind that less is more and terminator parts fit like a glove on our cobras. If your on a budget...stay away from the Roush or Saleen kits. The price for the oem kit is reasonable but the prep work is time consuming with fitment issues. It would cost nearly 5K not including the wheels to have a shop to do the full conversion correctly. Depends on your priority.. cause 5k well give you a healthy dose of go fast mods!

Lumpydogs

Established Member
My two favorite exterior '01 mods are 1" wheel spacers on the rears and lowered ride height. After that it's just wheels and/or stripes.

My two cents :coolman:

yeller1

Established Member
Yeah I'm going to leave the body kit alone due to just about everyone suggesting so. I personally love the look of the Saleen's and Roush's for example. Imo the body kits really make those rides pop, but I'll the advice of others.
Dude, It's your money. Yeah it's nice to get opinions and suggestions, but in the end, if you like it, by all means do it. I've seen some great looking cars with the roush front end and maybe a saleen wing. It's all in the prep and paint. It can be done to make it look nice. I personally think the roush front end is light years better than stock. I do have to agree though, first would be the wheels and exhaust. After that do what tickles your fancy and enjoy. Peace brother.:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread