Looking for your opinions relating to the T56

turbov6joe

Defensor Fortis
Established Member
Ok, here is my dilemma regarding my 61k mile T56 that recently started grinding going into 6th gear, and on occasion, won't come out of 6th unless I get nasty with it (these problems started after grinding it pretty hard on a spirited highway pull). ****PLEASE, there is no need to preach to me about WOT pulls in the overdrive gears**** A local tranny guy (Tomco) here in Kansas City who comes highly recommended, told me it was $350 for him to just pull it apart and diagnose any issues. The tranny already has a 26 spline input shaft, but that's it as far as aftermarket parts are concerned as far as I know (I purchased the car used). Recently I have had a bad run of financial luck which has pretty much wiped out my slush fund. The reason for this thread is that I'm looking for your opinions as to what parts are a must for a "budget" rebuild for a tranny that sits behind a 815 CHP motor. For the time being (until I finish making a few more adult films to pad the wallet) I need to get the tranny shifting correctly again. I'd also like to get it to shift smoother....if that's even possible for the this breed of tranny??? I've been told to address the following items. What other than this list do I NEED to do (certainly in addition to addressing what's currently wrong with it now that's causing my issues)? What else might be a good idea to address in addition the aforementioned list if the funds should exist?

Billet TOB tube
Billet shift keys (1-6)
Bronze fork pads (1-6)
Billet 3/4 shift fork

Anyone have a guess as to what might be causing the issues I have now?

Thanks in advance!

SlowSVT

Established Member
Bronze shift fork thrust faces to replace the OEM nylon, bronze bushings are pretty inexpensive and are worthy upgrades. You can call Liberty Gears for a recommendation.

I would get it fixed right. At your hp levels and most likely shifting habits you're mother wouldn't approve of you'll probably grenade the rebuild in short order if not done correctly. Me thinks a Magnum is in your future but even that will break if you don't shift it right. A well built T56 is a pretty tough gearbox. If you don't shock load it, speed shift it or don't do WOT runs chances are you will have a hard time breaking it. It also has lower parasitic drag than a Magnum (to a drag racers that means something). The T56 is the 2nd strongest gearbox made next to the Magnum/6060 to the point "it's a keeper" :rockon:

TremicT56Magnum2_zps9f260317.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread