Loss of boost and leak...input please

Z0 What?

Established Member
I was up at the 35th Mid America Shelby Meet last weekend and decided to take the ol' Cobra out on Hallet racing circuit to have some fun, and this is what happened....

The outside temp was probably between 100 and 105, and the stock water temp gauge never read above Half. After about 4 or 5 laps of no passing and driving at about 50% the whole session was black flagged cuz someone didnt have a helmet so we came into the hot pits and sat there with the engine off for about 5 minutes.....we then went back on the track as group 2 and were able to pass....so at this point I was successfully chasing after a 2010 Gt500 Super Snake, needless to say I was pushing the car pretty hard for about 2 laps when I suddenly lost almost all boost! The stock boost gauge was only reading about 1 or 2 pounds, so I finished the lap and came in...after popping the hood I found the intercooler resevoir to be leaking all over the engine bay....
We also thought we heard what sounded like a dead cylinder...so I changed the plugs and the noise went away.
After topping off the intercooler resevoir with coolant I went back on the track and the same thing occured, after a few easy laps and then 1 hard lap I lost boost, then I came in switched passengers topped off the coolant again and did another 6 laps at 70% and the car ran fine, then drove the car home and havent had any loss of boost since....
Again the temp gauge never went above 1/2

So the question is....a) what was causing the lack and inconsistency of boost????
and b) what was causing the intercooler resevoir to leak???? a cracked cap?
:shrug:

Any input would be appreciated!

04SolidSnake

Canadian Snake
Established Member
Are you sure you IC pump is actually working? Sounds to me like your pump has failed, causing your IAT2 temps to climb, and the ECU is pulling boost/timing to keep you from melting down.

SVTgsxrdude

Established Member
Are you sure you IC pump is actually working? Sounds to me like your pump has failed, causing your IAT2 temps to climb, and the ECU is pulling boost/timing to keep you from melting down.

+1 this happened to a friend of mine

Z0 What?

Established Member
ya i checked and there was fluid flowing in the resevoir...or at least it looked like it

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Car went into limp mode, pretty common when open tracking and this kind of heat. What are all the mods on the car?

Roushman

Tampa Whipped and more
Established Member

it will cut off and on when it heats up before it goes on ocassion. The copper connection on the inside heats up and seperates from vibration and being worn down. So sometimes when you look at it its flowing and sometimes no. I would say if you are having any low rpm stutter, say when you take off regular from a stop then this is the problem.:shrug:
Run the car around take the cap off and feel the water. If its real hot its toast. If its full of pressure its toast

Z0 What?

Established Member
Ya it ended up bein the pump...i tried just jumping the relay at first but it still didn't work, so I just replaced it...took like 15 minutes

Users who are viewing this thread