Loss of power with boss intake

Scooters

On my forth Mustang
Established Member
I recently installed a boss intake, and when I went to get retuned the car actually made less power! Before it was 386 hp and 368tq. After it was 379hp and 339 tq. Other cars with similar mods he had tuned made 400hp and 365tq. My tuner said he was seeing the car wanting to pull fuel on the drivers side, which he thought indicated a restriction. Anybody experience this or have any thoughts?

Thanks,

Scott

Last edited:

65sohc

Established Member
I recently installed a boss intake, and when I went to get retuned the car actually made less power! Before it was 386 hp and 368tq. After it was 379hp and 339 tq. Other cars with similar mods he had tuned made 400hp and 365tq. My tuner said he was seeing the car wanting to pull fuel on the drivers side, which he thought indicated a restriction. Anybody experience this or have any thoughts?

Thanks,

Scott
Restriction of what?

Scooters

On my forth Mustang
Established Member
Here are my dyno sheets. The first is my car versus three other boss intake cars he has tuned. My car is right with them until ~3200 rpms then falls off.

crpl.jpg

The second sheet is stock intake in red and boss intake in blue. Again, at ~3200 the boss intake falls off.

j0aq.jpg

There are no drivability issues that I can detect (idle surging, etc). The car is just not making power.

65sohc

Established Member
Yeh, you would certainly expect some sort of tell tale driveability glitches if the installation was bad. One would also have to be pretty careless to rip an o-ring. It would seem to boil down to the tune. These engines behave a little funky around 3200. I mentioned this to Shaun when he was tuning my Boss. I suspected this was due to the cams transitioning and he confirmed this.

Scooters

On my forth Mustang
Established Member
Yeh, you would certainly expect some sort of tell tale driveability glitches if the installation was bad. One would also have to be pretty careless to rip an o-ring. It would seem to boil down to the tune. These engines behave a little funky around 3200. I mentioned this to Shaun when he was tuning my Boss. I suspected this was due to the cams transitioning and he confirmed this.

Yeah, no smoking gun so far. The tuner showed me three other boss im cars he has tuned (first graph), so i don't think it is an issue with him not knowing what he is doing (but could be wrong). One of the cars was an 2011 automatic with the same mods (CAI, boss IM, and longtubes) that made 403hp and 365tq.

Initially we had timing be pulled and found my spark plugs pretty much shot (car has 60,000 miles). I swapped with new NGK plugs from American Muscle and resolved that issue.

Last edited:

Scooters

On my forth Mustang
Established Member
What about what my tuner said about seeing the driver side wanting to pull fuel? He had to make some changes to same parameter (can't remember which) so that both sides were seeing equal fuel.

corysmach1

Established Member
I see Brian tuned your car....he is a good guy. My buddies car made 432 on his dyno. It was tuned by AED though. I am hoping my car makes similar power.

Scooters

On my forth Mustang
Established Member
I see Brian tuned your car....he is a good guy. My buddies car made 432 on his dyno. It was tuned by AED though. I am hoping my car makes similar power.

Yeah, he is awesome to work with. A really nice guy. We are just kinda at a loss on what the problem could be. The car runs great, so I want to see what it does at the track (as that is the real test) before I think about pulling the manifold off or anything like that.

Yellow4.6

Established Member

Whats mods on your car?

I know Brian does good work, but IMO Brady @ PPC is the guy to tune these cars. He tuned mine, 396/358 with just his tune and a Roush AB, M6, 3.31's.

Be interesting to see whats causing it.

corysmach1

Established Member
Brady is a good tuner also. My power mods are

JLT CAI
BOSS INTAKE (ported)
47 LB Injectors
Off road x pipe
Deleted resonators
Magnaflow competition axleback
E85
AED TUNE.