Lost lug key

X3FBrian

Established Member
What's the steps to get a lug key (Stock 03 Ford key). I have CCW's and don't want to take a chance at beating a socket onto them. I'm going to take the lugs off and toss them in the trash.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
is it the 6 spline lock? I bought a car 2 weeks ago that didn't come with the key. Just about an hour ago I ordered one from American Muscle for 6.99. I'm hoping it works. Its the 6 spline key and 4 locking lug nuts. I only need the key but they don't sell It separately.

X3FBrian

Established Member
Pray you get lucky. I have a few terminator friends who had their stock keys, none of them worked for my lugs. It's identical to one of these:

elementwheellocks.jpg

Last edited:

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
Pray you get lucky. I have a few terminator friends who had their stock keys, none of them worked for my lugs. It's identical to one of these:

elementwheellocks.jpg

oh, yeah mine are different. those aren't 6 spline. Look more like Mcgard

Pantera1

Established Member
If they are from ford bring your car into the dealership, they should have a master set, ask them to figure out which one fits and order it

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
They were all different. If you had the key number then you might have been able to re-order a key. I have my key number written down in like 5 different places just in case the key is lost.

MeanO3

Established Member
Pretty sure I have that key but id want it back. I could mail it to you if youd could just send it back after use.

Jensanity

Established Member
They sell a tool at Auto Zone for emergency removal. It's reverse threaded. Not sure if this still would make you leary of damaging the wheels or not. Just go to Ford dealership if so. Good luck!

DeadStang

Established Member
I had this issue when I bought the Mystichrome Coupe. I drove to my local Ford dealer, they used their master set to figure out which was my key--and ordered me one. Took a couple of weeks to get, but no sweat!

hotcobra03

Established Member
Why not bang a socket...its not like you need to really kill it when hitting with hammer..

they do make a tool thats rounded inside of socket for this reason...to remove without damage

The_Dude

Established Member
I bought some removers from Sears for an old parts Mustang we have. They worked like a charm and didn't even damage the locks.

jconnor3

Established Member
I too used the Craftsman "Lug Out" and it worked perfect. I think I put the lug out over the lug nut, put a doubled up rag over the lug out and then held it all with one hand and then hammered in on. Don't really have to go to town on it, just a few good love taps.

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
Good luck, I stopped by 2 ford dealers that had master sets and they weren't able to match them up. I also stopped by a couple local tires shops that had a box of miscellaneous keys they had accumulated over the years. No luck though.

I ended up just paying to get them pulled off. I got charged 10 bucks for each lug nut.

Users who are viewing this thread