Lost My Job Today - Laid Off

Moreboost88

Established Member
Yea man its tough times in the motor city, im in the auto industry and I fear losing my job as well. My friend who is 30 has a masters, experience, the whole nine yards just recently got layed off from Ford. Now that the Big 3 have changed the residual value greatly on their leases on most trucks and SUVs, how the hell are people going to afford them. Well best of luck to you

ColorMatched

grayongrayongrayongray
Established Member
Damn! I need to step my game up at 24! Good work man, best of luck but it sounds like you have great control over your destiny.

JasonSnake

Established Member
if you were the tolerance measurements in an engine, the engine would be seized up. Good planning man. It was total opposite with me and I didn't save a dime.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
1) Finish your Masters

2) Look into Overseas employment opportunities

3) Hire a good Head Hunter to find you a job while you are in school. You already have relevant work experience and degrees

All excellent suggestions. Also, you should not have to pay for a quality head hunter. They are paid by the company looking to hire, so beware of any that want money from you.

daydark

Established Member
Operations Management is badass. Have you read The Goal? You should have no problems finding a badass job with that masters.

KingCobra03SVT

10th Anniversary Edition
Established Member
Sorry about your lay off but like others have said you have a great foundation to build on. Hold you head up high and move on.

Thanks head is high and chest is out! :thumbsup: I am hoping that my background lands me an awesome job. I feel pretty confident that something will come around.

that blows dude, i was just laid off too and im still looking for a job, you however seem to have a lot of experience and you have gone through a lot of school/education. good luck and im sure you'll find something soon enough

I am sorry to hear that man. I hope you find something soon. Keep trying and looking. Thanks that is what I am hoping.

Sounds like you are another victim of the Ford - Visteon/ACH fiasco. Would I be correct?
Anyway, I recieved full time job offers from both Ford and Visteon, declined them both. I knew the domestic auto industry was going to be too unstable. :read: Sounds like you have nothing to worry about, you will easily be able to get a knew job in manufacturing. Word to the wise, leave southeast michigan. Detroit is going down the crapper literally...

*edited by moderator - do NOT circumvent the obscenity filter*

Yeah I would never work directly for the big 3. I thought I was better off working for the smaller companies that do work for the big 3 but as you can see that is always not the case. I definitely have been taking in consideration of moving out of state. I need to finish this Masters program first. Only hump I need to get over right now to do that.

1) Finish your Masters

2) Look into Overseas employment opportunities

3) Hire a good Head Hunter to find you a job while you are in school. You already have relevant work experience and degrees

Definitely. One thing is school will always be first and I will always continue to go to school even if I am not working. I have made some pretty good friends in the business of which some work in different countries now and have told me if I want employment out of the country to give them a call. It's looking like a great idea right now.

Yea man its tough times in the motor city, im in the auto industry and I fear losing my job as well. My friend who is 30 has a masters, experience, the whole nine yards just recently got layed off from Ford. Now that the Big 3 have changed the residual value greatly on their leases on most trucks and SUVs, how the hell are people going to afford them. Well best of luck to you

Oh really? Yeah that was my problem with the big 3. I never actually tried to apply for any positions there as I figured it would not last long because of how up and down they are. Well I hope the don't let you go anytime soon and I hope your buddy finds something else soon. I am sure he will. You might have heard since you are local. Progressive Moulded Products were the supplier that filed Chp 11 and left our company hanging and some of the guys found jobs in within a week or two for other companies. They were/are program managers.

Damn! I need to step my game up at 24! Good work man, best of luck but it sounds like you have great control over your destiny.

LOL thanks man I appreciate it.

if you were the tolerance measurements in an engine, the engine would be seized up. Good planning man. It was total opposite with me and I didn't save a dime.

Thanks man. I know how this industry is and when things started getting weird around my job I instantly starting making changes. I didn't drive my Cobra at all so I was like sell that no need to have it if I am not driving it. Paid all my bills off and saved the rest. So at that point I was like they can lay me off and it would not matter. I loved the car but I will buy something else down the road right now it was a great choice I think. I have my truck and bike to keep my company for now.

All excellent suggestions. Also, you should not have to pay for a quality head hunter. They are paid by the company looking to hire, so beware of any that want money from you.

This is true. I have had quite a few calls from head hunters for work in Indiana, California, and Ohio. It's hard right now because I am right in the middle of this Masters program and I HAVE to finish. It really isn't an option not to, so once I am done with that, then I can leave for sure with no problem. I may continue on with schooling after that who knows, but see if I can transfer somewhere out of state if another job comes up elsewhere. Can never have too much education right? :beer:

Last edited:

KingCobra03SVT

10th Anniversary Edition
Established Member
Operations Management is badass. Have you read The Goal? You should have no problems finding a badass job with that masters.

Definitely! That is why I went into it because I thought it was interesting and it can be applied to any job really.

No I have not read that. I will have to look into it. :beer:

Thanks I hope not HAHA

Qwk GT

Established Member
G/L finding a new job, I'm sure you'll be fine. You have a lot of degrees, experience in your field, and a good amount of cash with a low amount of bills.

Solopony

Established Member
I feel your pain. I am 24 and stopped short of a degree(wish I had never quit). Two years ago I was making 25+ an hour in the RV industry which has been hit even harder than the automotive. I've been trying to get into the plumbing and pipefitting or Hvac union apprenticeship(no family in the trade placed a few people away 2 times and just recenly placed better on inteview than ever.) I hope they take the same numbers they have previously because then I'm in. I had to quit the union helper job because they don't pay well and had me driving 80 miles a day. I've been in dead end warehouse jobs to make money and just today they are cutting me down to 6 hours a day from 10's. I've always outperformed everyone around me and show up on work everyday and on time. This economy has changed so much and I'm so sick of it. Even people with degrees are struggling and I don't know what to do. I'm not getting ahead which makes me think I am getting behind. You seem to be in a good position to do what you want though. I am struggling to keep my head up over here though.

KingCobra03SVT

10th Anniversary Edition
Established Member
G/L finding a new job, I'm sure you'll be fine. You have a lot of degrees, experience in your field, and a good amount of cash with a low amount of bills.

Thanks mate :beer:

I feel your pain. I am 24 and stopped short of a degree(wish I had never quit). Two years ago I was making 25+ an hour in the RV industry which has been hit even harder than the automotive. I've been trying to get into the plumbing and pipefitting or Hvac union apprenticeship(no family in the trade placed a few people away 2 times and just recenly placed better on inteview than ever.) I hope they take the same numbers they have previously because then I'm in. I had to quit the union helper job because they don't pay well and had me driving 80 miles a day. I've been in dead end warehouse jobs to make money and just today they are cutting me down to 6 hours a day from 10's. I've always outperformed everyone around me and show up on work everyday and on time. This economy has changed so much and I'm so sick of it. Even people with degrees are struggling and I don't know what to do. I'm not getting ahead which makes me think I am getting behind. You seem to be in a good position to do what you want though. I am struggling to keep my head up over here though.

I'm sorry to hear that man. I have had my ups and downs as well. I have worked jobs that I did not want to work just to make ends meet as well that there was no future in. It served the purpose though. I have had times where I was like is anything ever going to work out but you honestly have to stay strong and be confident. My theory is if you really want something you can get it.

When I was 16 I wanted this design job with this company to get my foot in the door and I went there every week then every two weeks and asked if there was an opening. Eventually a year later he calls me and offers me a job. The moral is stay persistent and confident.

So stay strong keep your head up and be open minded. You seem like you have been for the most part trying different jobs and such. I wish you the best and I am sure something will work out. Hey you are never too late to go back to school. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread