Lost My Job Today - Laid Off

KingCobra03SVT

10th Anniversary Edition
Established Member
So I have been working for this company here in MI for about a year now and today they had to lay me off because they couldn't pay me (out of funds). I'll try make this simple.

-I worked for an Engineering Company that engineered parts for Ford (Front & Rear Center Console and IP for 2011 Ford & Lincoln models.

-Things were going good for awhile but then the supplier that were building our designed parts filed for chapter 11 and then completely just fell off as a company, in other words they do not exist. This was about a month ago.

-So then our job was in question because our company which is a small company did not know how they were going to fund the projects. Ford decided to fund the projects so they could continue on.

-At this point I knew something would go down eventually and I decided to make good financial decisions & changes to my life just in case something were to happen so I wouldn't be screwed later.

-So another company has taken over the projects completely and Ford did not want to fund anything regarding these projects or what was more entailed with my job. My company definitely did not have the funds to pay me. I was making 20+ an hour.

So here I am laid off LOL.

The funny thing is I have been actually growing restless with this job. I had been wanting to seek new opportunity elsewhere with a growing company where I could actually move up and maybe try something new outside my normal field.

So I am actually happy this happened because I think this is my calling to move onto something better.

A little background about me:

I have 3 degrees - 2 Associates and a Bachelors
I am almost done with my Masters
I have 4/5 years of experience in my field. Been working in it since I was 16/17 and I am 21 now.
I have about 30K in my savings and enough in my checking.
My bills a month average about $300 now. Use to be $2000 LOL but after I made some adjustments that went down tremendously because I knew this would happen. So I am not in dire need of money or a job right now.

Any ideas as far as a good job to try out???? My Major has been in Vehicle Design/Engineering and my Masters will be in Operations Management.

I kind of want to try something new.

Oh and I have my head high there were no hard feelings with this company. If you have no money to pay me you have no money LOL it is what it is.

Last edited:

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
yeah, you seem to have a lot going for you and your young. I predict you will have a good life financially

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
sounds to me that you have your head screwed on pretty straight especially for your age....good luck. Remember, chance favors the prepared

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Man good luck with finding a new job and you've got a great start with your education and savings.

cthunder

Established Member
If you're not strapped for cash, finish your masters... that can only open doors for you as far as jobs. A bachelors degree isnt that great anymore, everyone has one, so a masters degree sets you above other candidates.

16kOrBust

Established Member
Well I was going to say I'm sorry to hear about the job, but it sounds like it may work out for you with where your head is at. Good luck in the future!

KingCobra03SVT

10th Anniversary Edition
Established Member
yeah, you seem to have a lot going for you and your young. I predict you will have a good life financially

LOL Thanks. I hope so. I just want a stable job making some decent money to make a nice living :beer:

sounds to me that you have your head screwed on pretty straight especially for your age....good luck. Remember, chance favors the prepared

I like that "Chance favors the prepared" That is what I hope. Thanks!

Man good luck with finding a new job and you've got a great start with your education and savings.

Thanks. I sold the car recently and lets just say it helped me have a nice stash.

If you're not strapped for cash, finish your masters... that can only open doors for you as far as jobs. A bachelors degree isnt that great anymore, everyone has one, so a masters degree sets you above other candidates.

That is true. Depending how things go I may just add some more classes and try to finish sooner. Jobs are so competitive now so you have to make sure you stand out from the crowd. I figure getting my Masters is my trump card.

sounds like you starting preparing and got a great jump on things. 300$ a month in bills is nothing. sounds like you'll be fine. g/l finding something new.

Yeah $300 is nothing. You figure that is $75 a week. I knew this was going to happen I just didn't know when. I wanted to make sure that when it did I would'nt be in panic mode needing to have another job. I can kind of kick back take my time and look for something new. Thanks :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the encouragement guys. I appreciate it. My parents are great furthermore my mother she has been my guide mainly.

If anyone is wondering as well about some things. I was homeschooled for 2 years straight when I was 13 so I have had a tremendously early start in life.

Last edited:

KingCobra03SVT

10th Anniversary Edition
Established Member
Well I was going to say I'm sorry to hear about the job, but it sounds like it may work out for you with where your head is at. Good luck in the future!

Yeah it still sucks that I do not have a job right now but I think honestly some things happen for a reason. This job was great don't get me wrong but we were such a small company 10-12 employees that there was no room for growth. It was pretty much a dead end job. I have bigger aspirations.

Sapperstang

Established Member
You're 21? That seems hard to believe based on what you say you have saved and having three degrees. If so then you're the freakin man and an example to everyone else your age.

Defknotzero

Established Member
Sorry to hear man. I got laid off at ford a couple years ago. Sucks :(

But it seems you will find something better soon :)

KingCobra03SVT

10th Anniversary Edition
Established Member
what about the place that pretty much put your company out of buisness. why don't you apply there

Well my company is still in business for the time being. I am not sure how much longer it will last to be honest but I kind of want to get out of the auto industry. I really want to try something new. Design comes in many forms. Everything around has been designed by some company. Auto Industry is just to up and down and all around. I need something a little more stable.

You're 21? That seems hard to believe based on what you say you have saved and having three degrees. If so then you're the freakin man and an example to everyone else your age.

LOL thanks I appreciate the kind words. Alot of people find it hard to believe but trust me my friend I have any proof if you really want to see. Degrees, graduation pictures, check stubs, birth certificate HAHAHA.

It's kind of a long story to explain but I'll sum it up quickly. If you want more details I will fill you in later. Here it is:

-Went to public school up to 6th grade. That was the last grade I finished in a public school
-Homeschooled for 2 years straight (summers included)
-Graduated from highschool @ 15
-Graduated with 2 Associates @ 18 (Vehicle Design & General Studies)
-Graduated from Central Michigan University @ 20 (Vehicle Design)
-Masters is in progress (Operations Management/Vehicle Design Manufacturing Administration)

:beer: Pretty much is it.

Oh yeah as far as the savings. I just sold my car recently LOL. So it helped greatly.

Sorry to hear man. I got laid off at ford a couple years ago. Sucks :(

But it seems you will find something better soon :)

Oh really that's a bummer but I am sure you are on to new and better things. Ford I think just laid some people off recently and I heard today they are suppose to lay off alot of managers today here in MI. thanks :beer:

Maybe I should go out and have some drinks for a new start LOL HAHAHA. Good reason to drink.

Last edited:

Defknotzero

Established Member
Well my company is still in business for the time being. I am not sure how much longer it will last to be honest but I kind of want to get out of the auto industry. I really want to try something new. Design comes in many forms. Everything around has been designed by some company. Auto Industry is just to up and down and all around. I need something a little more stable.

LOL thanks. Alot of people find it hard to believe but trust me my friend I have any proof if you really want to see. Degrees, graduation pictures, check stubs, birth certificate HAHAHA.

It's kind of a long story to explain but I'll sum it up quickly. If you want more details I will fill you in later. Here it is:

-Went to public school up to 6th grade. That was the last grade I finished in a public school
-Homeschooled for 2 years straight (summers included)
-Graduated from highschool @ 15
-Graduated with 2 Associates @ 18 (Vehicle Design & General Studies)
-Graduated from Central Michigan University @ 20 (Vehicle Design)
-Masters is in progress (Operations Management/Vehicle Design Manufacturing Administraton)

:beer: Pretty much is it.

Oh really that's a bummer but I am sure you are on to new and better things. Ford I think just laid some people off recently and I heard today they are suppose to lay off alot of managers today here in MI.

Yea, actually i did move on to bigger and better. I guess it was just time for a change at the time.

KingCobra03SVT

10th Anniversary Edition
Established Member
Yea, actually i did move on to bigger and better. I guess it was just time for a change at the time.

Definitely. I think SOME things do happen for a reason and work themselves out later. I am glad to hear things worked out though. :thumbsup:

overkill91

I eat rice
Established Member
Sorry about your lay off but like others have said you have a great foundation to build on. Hold you head up high and move on.

bleedingfordblu

Established Member
that blows dude, i was just laid off too and im still looking for a job, you however seem to have a lot of experience and you have gone through a lot of school/education. good luck and im sure you'll find something soon enough

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
Sounds like you are another victim of the Ford - Visteon/ACH fiasco. Would I be correct?
Anyway, I recieved full time job offers from both Ford and Visteon, declined them both. I knew the domestic auto industry was going to be too unstable. :read: Sounds like you have nothing to worry about, you will easily be able to get a knew job in manufacturing. Word to the wise, leave southeast michigan. Detroit is going down the crapper literally...

*edited by moderator - do NOT circumvent the obscenity filter*

1993R

Established Member
1) Finish your Masters

2) Look into Overseas employment opportunities

3) Hire a good Head Hunter to find you a job while you are in school. You already have relevant work experience and degrees

Users who are viewing this thread