Lost oil prime???

dazwelding

Established Member
We primed the oil pump and the engine in our 2003 Terminator with oil last weekend, filled the oil, turned the engine over, and had at least 10 psi while cranking for a few seconds. The battery was about dead, so we would only get a couple of seconds of crank, but I had oil pressure.
Today (one week later), we go out with a fully charged battery and turn the engine over expecting to see oil pressure, and there is no pressure after cranking for 10 to 15 seconds. Before I drain the oil and re prime the engine and pump, I am hoping you guys have some input for me. Anyone have any ideas as to why I would lose pressure after one week? I hate to drain the oil, reprime, and next weekend have the same issue.
Here is more info on our situation. We have not started the car since 2014. We put a canton oil pan on, MMR oil filter relocation, remote oil cooler, redline 5w-20 oil, lucas oil zinc additive, and a Fram HP4 filter. We have a speedhut oil pressure gauge. The oil pressure gauge is getting 12v, and the needle moves we the key is turned. The water and fuel is not hooked up yet, so we are only cranking the engine to verify we have oil pressure at this time.
Last weekend we pumped oil into each oil hose. Put a clear hose in place of the oil filter, then pumped oil into the 1/8" npt oil pressure port on the engine in the MMR oil cooler/filter relocation plate.
We did pump oil into the 1/8" npt port in the MMR oil filter block today after we found we had no pressure, hoping that would bring the prime back, but that did not work.

Albatross

Established Member
Maybe it's just taking a bit longer for all that new plumbing on the oil filter relocation and oil cooler to get pressurized. When you cranked it before you had already added oil to these lines so you didn't have to wait for oil to travel there. Try turning it over with the plugs out so it spins faster. You may have to turn it over for longer than 10-15 seconds. Good luck bud!

dazwelding

Established Member
We got pressure. We removed the hoses from the oil filter and pumped more oil in, then bypassed the filter with a clear tube. Cranked it so we could see what was happening with the clear tube. Oil passed through the clear tube with lots of air bubbles, and when the air bubbles stopped we got pressure. We are leaving the clear tube on for now, that way we can see if the oil drains out. Crisis averted for now I suppose.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Change your filter. I think the motorcraft and a couple others have a check valve to keep oil in the system. Beyond that what you're experiencing is normal. Oil isn't going to stay in place without a pump. IIRC thats why the original tune has the engine hit 1800 or 2000rpm on cold start. Gets the oil to the heads faster.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
I have never primed a mod motor besides spinning the engine over via the starter before startup. Just fire it up and monitor oil pressure.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I thought it was general consensus that the start doesn't spin fast enough to build oil pressure with these pumps. Fill the line with a sprayer and cross your fingers. Should build pressure on start almost instantly.

dazwelding

Established Member
I thought it was general consensus that the start doesn't spin fast enough to build oil pressure with these pumps. Fill the line with a sprayer and cross your fingers. Should build pressure on start almost instantly.
I don’t know about the consensus, I am seeing around 40 psi now with starter and the clear hose bypassing the filter. I am no mod motor expert by any means. I haven’t put the filter back on yet. Hopefully I will get to start it this coming weekend. Install the radiator and tanks, wire the fuel pumps and the modified FPDM, fill her with fuel and see if she fires up.

dazwelding

Established Member
Thank you everyone, I will let you know if I get her started this weekend.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member

this is what the paperwork from my motor builder said. I was told if it was ready to fire within roughly X time period just fire it up or preferably prime it through the sending port but dont just turn it over on the starter

Users who are viewing this thread